• Shawn
    There's something admirable about the Cynic. She most often disregards the social contract they were born in and does their own thing. It takes a great deal of courage to be a Cynic, and stay a Cynic.

There is a great deal of pressure from society to conform to its commands and not chart out on your own course of navigation and sail off in a pontoon raft and puddle along to nowhere land. Cynicism has a negative connotation in our modern day use of language. It means:

cyn·i·cism
    sinəˌsizəm
    noun
    1.an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticism.
    "public cynicism about politics"
    synonyms: skepticism, doubt, distrust, mistrust, suspicion, disbelief; pessimism, negativity, world-weariness, disenchantment
    Google Dictionary

But, us philosophers who have our own negative connotation often of being impracticable, lofty-minded, idealistic, idling engines without going anywhere, must commend the Cynic for taking philosophy to its logical end and enjoying a life full of contentment. Therefore, let us praise the Cynic;

"Praise be unto you Oh Great Cynic. Let the waters be calm wherever you sail off to."
  • BC
    There is a great deal of pressure from society to conform to its commandsWallows

Really cutting loose from the demands and commands of society may be a pretty dangerous thing. If society withdraws its approval and tolerance from non-conformers, life can become wretched, or one might be terminated.

How many people are deliberate nonconformists, and how many are people who have decided to call their unhappy fate the result of their personal rebellion? For instance, is someone rejecting property, material goods, and luxury because they lost what little they had, or failed to gain the vast sums for which they hoped?

I've always thought of myself as something of a non-conformist. In fact, in many cases I just didn't fit in (and didn't know how to fit) so declaring nonconformity provided me cover.
  • Shawn
    Really cutting loose from the demands and commands of society may be a pretty dangerous thing.Bitter Crank

We, Westerners, have the luxury to conform "society" in many cases to our wants. One can live in an ashram, or next to some pond near Walden without undue burden from what "The Man" wants.

If society withdraws its approval and tolerance from non-conformers, life can become wretched, or one might be terminated.Bitter Crank

Yes, well we can catastrophize about circumstances changing; but, fortunately, we aren't talking about living in some loony bin like Waco, Texas. Of course, a lot of fringe people do decide to live on their own due to resentment from society. Think the Unibomber. But, I don't think that most people who decide to live on a farm away from people are in any way like that. Fortunately, not. Specifically talking about the Cynic here.

How many people are deliberate nonconformists, and how many are people who have decided to call their unhappy fate the result of their personal rebellion?Bitter Crank

Is it really rebellion? Perhaps it's a rebellion from the insane society we live in? When is one justified in living away from people? I often think that you have to have a limited or very understanding family to resort to moving away from society and abandoning one's home or reinterpreting it in such a way.

I've always thought of myself as something of a non-conformist. In fact, in many cases I just didn't fit in (and didn't know how to fit) so declaring nonconformity provided me cover.Bitter Crank

Cover from what? The pangs on one's collective conscious?
  • BC
    Cover from what?Wallows

I always thought it was better to be merely a nonconformist than be considered a diseased pariah.

he most often disregards the social contract they were born in and does their own thing. It takes a great deal of courage to be a Cynic, and stay a Cynic.Wallows

IF one is going to be a nonconformist, if one is just going to do one's own thing, one ought to be nonconforming for some worthwhile end.
  • Shawn
    One thing that I should amend in regards to the OP, is that the Cynic doesn't do his or her "own thing" with a sense of non-conforming manner of rebelliousness or such. It's for the sake of virtue. This fact gets neglected by the masses and has led to the above mentioned negative connotations.
  • Shawn

What do you think about my previous post?
  • BC
    I like it, "for the sake of virtue".
  • TheMadFool
    I think the cynic isn't disappointed. Content? I don't think so.

What does that say about a cynic's mental health?

Is s/he really a wise wo/man or s/he just a coward?
  • Shawn
    What does that say about a cynic's mental health?TheMadFool

The Cynic is rational in her own way. She has reasons. Virtue above all else.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.