• Banno
    SO astrology is not bullshit - there are those who genuinely believe that it does work.
  • Baden

There are, which implies it functions but not that it works. Even bullshit can serve a use though it very often just makes walking through a field less pleasant.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    SO astrology is not bullshit - there are those who genuinely believe that it does work.Banno

I am willing to read, listen and entertain astrology and those that believe in it.

In its ancient form, I believe that astrology was used to predict the changing seasons and these predictions were quite useful to farmers. It may not be the first form of calendar used by human beings, as the moon calendar or a day calendar may be even earlier. But in this sense, as a calendar, I believe astrology could work. The moon calendar gets out of sync because there are not 12 even moons in a year, and the day calendar gets out of sync because there is not an even 365 days in a year. Apparently the astrological calendar gets out of sync as well, but that takes thousands of years.Metaphysician Undercover

I have wondered about the validity of Astrology when it comes to the birth of a child because even though current, modern thought is that a woman is pregnant 9 months, she is really pregnant 10 months, 10 lunar months. A lunar month being the four weeks (28 days, same as a procreation cycle of a woman) it takes for the moon to go from a new moon, to a full moon and back again, would make a pregnancy last for ten months.
  • Agustino
    Guess which one I am >:)
  • Baden

When I think of you I think of bull so Taurus. (Hey, it could be worse; at least I didn't say Cancer). ;)
  • Agustino
    >:O >:O Wrong and wrong :P .
  • Baden

As long as it's not the same as me. That would mean we're virtually the same person. :-O
  • Agustino
    I am actually a very big kitten, with large sharp claws that likes to be King and rule over the other animals :-O
  • Baden

Ok, Leo. Well I would have said that but it sounded too complimentary. Now tell us how it works. Even if you don't believe a word you're saying. (Y)
  • Agustino
    Ok, Leo. Well I would have said that but it sounded too complimentary.Baden
    Right, I understand, you didn't want to come off as too gay on me :D

Now tell us how it works. Even if you don't believe a word you're saying. (Y)Baden
    How 'it' works? What's it?
  • Baden

Astrology...
  • Agustino
    Astrology...Baden
    In a bit, need to finish some work first :D - I was going to comment on Astrology.
  • Agustino
    So here is the serious question: How could Astrology work?Banno
    That obviously depends on your metaphysics. If you adopt a Hermetic position for example and go by the principle "As Above, So Below", then it's not at all mysterious how astrology could work. Then the human world would be a reflection of the heavens, and the heavens would be a reflection of the human world.

I have had my horoscope professionally done a few years ago, since one of my friends' mother back then was a professional astrologer.

I don't necessarily agree with any form of astrology in particular, but I do think that the cosmos and the human world are related.
  • Banno
    That obviously depends on your metaphysics.Agustino
    But the heavens are really big. Isn't there more than a modicum of hubris in thinking they reflect our mundane crawling?
  • Banno
    I am willing to read, listen and entertain astrology and those that believe in it.ArguingWAristotleTiff
    You are civil.

But would you believe them?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    But would you believe them?Banno

Yes, very possibly.
  • Agustino
    But the heavens are really big. Isn't there more than a modicum of hubris in thinking they reflect our mundane crawling?Banno
    Depends on the zoom level you look at them at :P .

Also, the idea would be that not only do the heavens reflect us, we also reflect the heavens, so the two are always in-step. It's not like we determine the heavens.

And the additional point is that it seems a prejudice to think that something small cannot impact something large.
  • Streetlight
    Astrololgy, more like.
  • Noble Dust
    Seemingly docile, secretly angry, brooding, bullshit stereotypical Scorpio over here...
  • Agustino
    Is your sting venomous?
  • Agustino
    Shall we do a scientific experiment to determine it? >:O
  • Noble Dust

I doubt you personally would need to do so.
  • Agustino
    I doubt you personally would need to do so.Noble Dust
    Did I say me personally? >:O
  • creativesoul
    Yup....

Charletons.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I don't necessarily agree with any form of astrology in particular, but I do think that the cosmos and the human world are related.Agustino

I have wondered about the validity of Astrology when it comes to the birth of a child because even though current, modern thought is that a woman is pregnant 9 months, she is really pregnant 10 months, 10 lunar months. A lunar month being the four weeks (28 days, same as a procreation cycle of a woman) it takes for the moon to go from a new moon, to a full moon and back again, would make a pregnancy last for ten months.ArguingWAristotleTiff

So Agustino, why would you think that the astrological calendar would be better than the lunar calendar, in its representations of relations with the human world?

Are you an angler at all?
  • jorndoe
    Well, the gravitational effect of Mars on you, around the time of your birth, was significantly less than the spoons you were fed with. Likewise for other effects.
    Don't see many spoonologists, though. I guess astrology is just more esoterically mysterious'ish, and has a bit of (murky) history/tradition, something like that.
    So, it's back to "some nebulous unknown force or influence", or whatever, that can't be differentiated from "anything goes". Having been embraced by New Age'ers, along with numerology and such, should be an indication.

astrologers have more influence than the stars do — http://skepdic.com/astrology.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment