• _db
    Vexillology - the study of flags.

Traditionally, flags were used as a symbol of identification of countries, nations, organizations, political parties, etc.

From the national perspective, flags were often used in the battlefield to organize troops and act as a banner for specific landmarks (such as a castle or a palace). Flags were a way of representing a people, and thus uniting them.

As time progressed, flags became integrated into society in various ways. The best example of this that I can think of is that of naval maritime communication flags.

Do flags serve a purpose in today's modern world? Are they still valuable, and if so, for what? Or are they merely an artifact of the past, something that doesn't necessarily need to be disposed of but has no practical purpose?

I believe flags still endure as a political/national identification symbol (for unification). Maritime flags are used out of tradition and procedure, although I suppose in a cinch they would work as an emergency communication device. You still see the flags put on top of tall buildings so that planes don't fly into them.

But as a battlefield device, are flags really necessary? They seem to be only an aesthetic of the military - place the flag on conquered territory; although I suppose these flags would be used as a signaling device to friendlies and the surrounding people to notify them who is in charge (hence why undercover units do not use flags).
  • BC
    I'm falling through a hole in the flag. from Hair

The official national flag is one of several public symbols that can be appropriated by multiple political tendencies for quite diverse and incompatible purposes. A Communist and a Tea Partier can wave the one national flag as ardently and/or with as much insincerity as the other. Flags unite and divide at the same time.

Liars, thieves, knaves, and scoundrels are all accustomed to wrapping themselves in THE FLAG. Its a fair decoy, at least for a little while.

Flag design is, no doubt, an interesting job. New Zealand is in the process of selecting a new flag. They will decide sometime this year on either the left or the right flag.

6mb8h3iomgjncnta.jpg

If you were designing a flag for your country, what would it look like?
  • _db
    Interesting thoughts about thieves hiding behind national flags.

When I was younger and weirder, I made my own little micronation. You can see the flag here.

:P
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    This is my vote for the most 'eye-watering' flag:

2000px-Flag_of_Greenland.svg.png

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    ... and this one for 'most confusing' flag:

2000px-Flag_of_the_Falkland_Islands.svg.png

(is it me or does it look like the ship sank and lodged itself under an island inhabited by a giant sheep?)

Meow!

GREG
  • _db
    Yeah, I don't know about the Falkland Island flag. Very strange.
  • JJJJS

Where's the red and white flag from?
  • _db
    Greenland
  • BC
    Purple, Green, and Red. One of my favorite color combinations. What do the collar bars signify to you?
  • _db
    Hell yeah it is.
  • _db
    They represent Depression, Aspergers, and Loneliness. ;)

I was a weird kid.
  • SkOwl
    Well, I always considered the flags as "movable" symbols of nations. Unfortunately, I realised, that many lies and bad things are happening because of "blind following of flags". Thieves, liars, etc., are standing in front of flags, believing, that bad deeds they are doing, are doing for their flags, for their countries. Sometimes, I assume, flags are used as some explanation (sadly, mostly excuses) of bad doings.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    WOW!

Talk about rising from the dead. This thread was dead and buried, but now it rises again.

I'll play...

Flag of the Empire of Benin: (not to be confused with modern-day Benin)

7f664jaej691igur.jpg

YIKES!
  • Pfhorrest
    I thought this thread was going to be about flags representing various philosophies.

If I were to design a flag for my country — as in the land, not the people or the government — it would be a tricolor with sky blue at the top, a medium green in the middle, and dark orange-brown earth at the bottom, perhaps with a leaf of valley oak as a central charge.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    I thought this thread was going to be about flags representing various philosophies.Pfhorrest

So you think they don't?

What do you suppose the flag of Mozambique wishes to communicate?

bwbq90pbfpheky9g.jpg

Again... YIKES!!!
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    The flag of Libya between 1977 - 2011 was an interesting one, probably only in it's 'philosophical statement':

The flag of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya was adopted on 19 November 1977 and consisted of a green field. It was the only national flag during that time in the world with just one colour and no design, insignia, or other details. It was chosen by Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi to symbolise his political philosophy (after his Green Book). The green colour traditionally symbolises Islam, reflecting the historical green banners of the Fatimid Caliphate. In Libya, green was also a colour traditionally used to represent the Tripolitania region. This flag continues to be used by Gaddafi loyalists. The flag had two versions, one with wide ratio and another with smaller ratio.

- Wiki

7qzulcu3ww7qycp4.png
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.