• Deleteduserrc
    :up:

Right now for me:
    Self Portrait in a Convex Mirror - John Ashbery (really really good)
    & just starting: Against the Grain: a deep history of the earliest states James C Scott
  • Streetlight
    Anne Sauvagnargues - Deleuze and Art
    Anne Sauvagnargues - Artmachines: Deleuze, Guattari, Simondon
  • Deleteduserrc
    @StreetlightX Have you read any James C Scott? Interestingly, he's referenced Deleuze in a few more recent books, though his approach is generally sober academic history re: the history of the State (tho motivated, clearly, by a particular passion.). I wish I had the passage at hand, but he talks about state control in one Asian country (I wanna say Indonesia but not sure) and the way he discusses it (plainly, directly) - I was like, oh shit, this is exactly smooth versus striated space + apparatus of capture. My hunch is that this was before he encountered Deleuze too, but I can't be sure.
  • Streetlight
    Nah, but he's been on my radar since Against the Grain came out last year(?). The bloke you liked to a while back (on Gri Gri magic) wrote a bit about him too, and I read alot of his stuff. Definitely someone I want to look into when I can.
  • Deleteduserrc
    He's really good and fun (lots of juicy historical details that he tells entertainingly) - tho, if you've read Sam[]zdat's 'Uruk Machines' series, you probably know all the central points already. But still worth it for the little things. (I would love to do a post on The Last Psychiatrist/Sam[]zdat/Hotel Concierge, if there were enough posters here who were familiar. I'm very much enamored of their approach and style: (see [ self-referential]). But there's something hard and mean and uncompromising that doesn't sit right with me. I guess they do something with cleverness that parallels what nihilism does with concepts. They take it all the way to the edge, which is great, but then something has to fill that gap.
  • Moliere
    I picked up AB Dickerson's Kant on Representation and Objectivity -- it's an argument that Kant is a particular kind of representationalist that is unique to his philosophy based upon his reading of the B-Deduction. It's been good so far, especially because the deduction is just so hard to understand.
  • _db
    Evolutionary Biology (Third Edition), by Douglas J. Futuyma. Got it cheap and used, good deal.

Thanks for the recommendation, .
  • Maw
    The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism From Edmund Burke to Donald Trump by Corey Robin
    Satantango by László Krasznahorkai
  • Streetlight
    Ronald Bogue - Deleuze on Music, Painting, and the Arts
    Wilfrid Sellars - Science, Perception, and Reality (replacement copy for the last one I lost in the middle of reading!)
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Ronald BogueStreetlightX

Took a class from him in college. I remember once, hanging around his office talking, I mentioned I had just started reading Deleuze's book on Foucault and he said immediatley -- you know, sort of involuntarily -- "That's a beautiful book!" Then he looked embarrassed. I think he wanted to be careful not to push me in any particular direction, you know?
  • Streetlight
    Lol, that's super cute.
  • Maw
    Stamped From The Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi
    The Trial by Kafka
    The Attention Merchants: The Epic Scramble to Get Inside Our Heads by Tim Wu
  • _db
    Eight Theories of Religion by Daniel L. Pals. I wanted the third edition - Nine Theories - but someone else had checked it out.

Still reading:

The Meaning and End of Religion by Wilfred Cantwell Smith

On Suicide by Jean-Luc Amery

and lots of Lovecraft's supernatural horror stories. Everything else has been put on hold.
  • Maw
    I adore Lovecraft, outside of his casual racism that's thrown into his work. The Color Out of Space is my favorite.
  • _db
    Just finished reading At the Mountains of Madness. I love his ability to create suspense through omission of detail. It's the unknown, the lack of description, that lets the imagination run wild. I am also impressed by his scientific spirit and understanding of the disciplines. The creatures in his stories are still ultimately material beings that conceivably could be studied by science - or at least, we think we could study them, but they are so terrible and too powerful to be studied. Thus human reason is subordinated to raw, primordial horror. I found it particularly interesting how, in At the Mountains of Madness, the protagonist (a man of science) is actively and earnestly trying to prevent a scientific expedition into the Antarctic mountains. We so often associate science and scientists with a triumphant spirit of curious exploration - yet here is a man who wants to limit it. Perhaps some things are not worth knowing - or better left unknown.
  • Maw
    Capital volume 1 by Karl Marx (rereading)
  • Baden
    A sample of Agamben's "State of Exception". Seems very good. Should I go for the real thing for 15 bucks (to anyone who's read it @StreetlightX, @Maw or anyone else?)
  • Streetlight
    Doo itt. It's among his most accessible and topical works.
  • Maw
    I haven't read it, but as a rule of thumb, always go with what Streetlight recommends to read.
  • Baden

I'm there, and on the philosophical front I need a break from Zizek, who is a bit addictive but also tiring in his contrariness after a while. It gets predictable that he's going to unpredictably turn everything upside down/inside out so it means the opposite of what it's supposed to roughly every three paragraphs.
  • _db
    Dostoevsky, Tolstoy and Nietzsche by Lev Shestov.

A commentary of the three philosophers by a severely under-recognized philosopher.

"[...] the tortures of Macbeth are not ordained only for those who have served 'evil' but also for those who have devoted themselves to the 'good.'"

"Morality showed itself impotent precisely where men would have been justified in expecting of it the greatest manifestation of its power."
  • Akanthinos
    I adore Lovecraft, outside of his casual racism that's thrown into his work. The Color Out of Space is my favorite.Maw

Color Out of Space is pretty much the best horror story ever written. I always wondered if it would not be the earliest prototype of a zombie story.
  • Streetlight
    Claire Colebrook - Blake, Deleuzian Aesthetics, and the Digital
    Seb Franklin - Control: Digitality as Cultural Logic
  • Maw
    Ahhhhh nooooo I just found out Clement Rosset died earlier this year

Love the only two books of his that were translated to English: The Real and Its Double and Joyful Cruelty
  • _db
    Evil and the God of Love by John Hick.
  • Streetlight
    Giorgio Agamben - Karman: A Brief Treatise on Action, Guilt, and Gesture

If you have to pick one, which would you recommend?
  • Maw
    I think you may prefer The Real and Its Double
  • Streetlight
    Aden Evens - Logic of the Digital

:up:
  • Shawn
    Susan Haack - Philosophy of Logics
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.