• ArguingWAristotleTiff
    So, you are changing your answer now and think Americans have the right to bear bazookas?Baden

Please don't rephrase the question so it 'fits' into our ammendments. The question was absurd in nature and I tried to answer it with a logically.
  • Baden
    ]

Do Americans have the right to bear bazookas or not ? Please just answer the question. It's a yes or no. And why is it more absurd than asking if they have the right to bear any other kind of weapon?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Do Americans have the right to bear bazookas or not? Please just answer the question. It's a yes or no. And why is it more absurd than asking if they have the right to bear any other kind of weapon?Baden

The right to bear bazookas? No, I don't think it is a right to be infringed on to begin with.
  • tim wood
    It's viruses that make people sick, not people, so why wash or practice any basic hygiene?
  • Baden
    Ok, now you've changed your mind again. A moment ago you said it would infringe their rights if their bazookas were taken away. Can you just pick one position and stick to it, please.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Ok, now you've changed your mind again. A moment ago you said it would infringe their rights if their bazookas were taken away. Can you just pick one position and stick to it, please.Baden

I really am trying to be as honest and genuine as I can possibly be. I think at the very least the issue is complicated which is why it is necessary to define if the firearm or bazooka is legal to have to begin with. If bazookas were legal to own under the 2nd amendment then it would be an infringement on our right to confiscate them.
  • Baden

Now, you are saying it's legality that matters. So, if assault weapons are illegal in illinois now, then it's not a 2nd amendment infringement just as with bazookas being illegal it's not a 2nd amendment infringement.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Now, you are saying it's legality that matters. So, if assault weapons are illegal in illinois now, then it's not a 2nd amendment infringement just as with bazookas being illegal it's not a 2nd amendment infringement.Baden

Yes legality matters which is why it makes no sense to have the citizens of IL be forced into surrendering their legal firearms. That is an infringement on our 2nd amendment right. Bazookas as far as I know, have never been legal for a citizen to own, so it wouldn't fall under the protection of our 2nd amendment right.
  • Baden

So, every weapon that has ever been legal is protected under the 2nd amendment? And every weapon that has never been legal is not protected? That's your position??
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    So, every weapon that has ever been legal is protected under the 2nd amendment? And every weapon that has never been legal is not protected? That's your position??Baden

I won't say "every" because I know there are always exceptions but yes, if the firearm was legal to own under our 2nd amendment right, I think banning that firearm would be considered an infringement on our 2nd amendment right.

A current example is an armed drone. Has it ever been legal for a private citizen to own and register an armed drone? Not to my knowledge. Would a law making it illegal for a private citizen to own an armed drone be an infringement on our 2nd ammendment right? No, because it was never legal to own.
  • Baden

OK, by that logic no new weapons in development are covered under the 2nd amendment right if they are not yet legal. So, if we decide to ban all new weapons (never make them legal) it would not infringe on the 2nd amendment. And applying the principle retroactively, nothing but the weapons originally extant at the time of the 2nd amendment were covered by the 2nd amendment. Ergo, nothing but muskets and the like need be covered.
  • Sir2u
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5997656/moped-gang-oxford-street-machete-watches-of-switzerland-robbery/

Who needs guns to scare the shit out of people and maybe kill a few off at the same time?
  • Sapientia
    It's your perverse interpretation of the right that's the issue. You don't have the right to bear any arms you want otherwise you would have the right to bear machine guns and bazookas etc. Are you complaining about not having the right to a machine gun. Is that an infringement on your 2nd amendment right?Baden

I know, right? That's crazy. And does she even realise that her slippery slope argument is a fallacy?
  • Sapientia
    If you are legally able to own a machine gun or a bazooka, who am I to make it illegal?ArguingWAristotleTiff

Wow. :monkey:
  • Sapientia
    Peace OfficersArguingWAristotleTiff

Who the heck, or what the heck, are "Peace Officers"? That's just a made up term, isn't it? What you have are police officers, and they keep coming up in the news for shooting unarmed black people.
  • frank
    So once again nothing changed. Life is bizarre.
  • Akanthinos
    As I said once before, or maybe several times. It is people that kill, not guns. And if people do not have access to guns they will use something else.Sir2u

It bears repeating tho, that since bullet wounds are statistically a lot more damaging than blade wounds, even if all gun crimes were translated into knife attacks, violent crime would be about 1/3 to 2/3 less deadly, depending on the organ wounded.
  • Baden

Yes, and what an AR-15 bullet, for example, can do to the body in terms of damage is not comparable at all to an average stab wound just like sticking a pin in someone is not comparable to sticking a knife in them. That's been demonstrated earlier in the discussion. And these are the types of weapons that most gun control advocates want banned. Why so many Americans insist on having guns that can create holes the size of pineapples in each other is just beyond me.
  • frank
    Mmmm, pineapple.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube