• MountainDwarf
    I am a young and aspiring philosopher seeking challenging discussion with both the like minded and opponents.

Those of you who have been members for some time what have you learned from this online community?

Have you made an ascent philosophically or do you find yourself feeling Nietzschean philosophically?

Who are your favorite philosophers?

And lastly, what do you think about religion?
  • T Clark
    I am a young and aspiring philosopher seeking challenging discussion with both the like minded and opponents.

Those of you who have been members for some time what have you learned from this online community?

Have you made an ascent philosophically or do you find yourself feeling Nietzschean philosophically?

Who are your favorite philosophers?

And lastly, what do you think about religion?
    MountainDwarf

I really like the forum. I have been skeptical that western philosophy has anything useful to tell us about how to live our lives or see the world, but I have found myself more open after discussions here.

Now - you tell us what you think, and we'll disagree with you.
  • MountainDwarf
    I really like the forum. I have been skeptical that western philosophy has anything useful to tell us about how to live our lives or see the world, but I have found myself more open after discussions here.

Now - you tell us what you think, and we'll disagree with you.
    T Clark

(Y)
  • BC
    Have you made an ascent philosophicallyMountainDwarf

I've been to the mountain top and found that it was pretty much like the flat land.

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum.

I am a young and aspiring philosopherMountainDwarf

So, how young are you, and what do you aspire to?
  • MountainDwarf
    I've been to the mountain top and found that it was pretty much like the flat land.

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum.
    Bitter Crank

Hmmm, so describe yourself philosophically.

So, how young are you, and what do you aspire to?Bitter Crank

Early 20s, I like metaphysics and philosophical method.
  • BC
    Hmmm, so describe yourself philosophically.MountainDwarf

I came from a religious, "idealist" milieu, and have in my later years adopted a much more secular, pragmatic, consequentialist approach. It is very difficult to expunge years of religious training.

Philosophy, as such, hasn't interested me much. Abstractions, complicated arguments, difficult terminology, too long a reading list to catch up on now (I'll be 71 in a few days). Life is too short. I'm much more interested in literature, history, sociology, psychology, music... I can play the radio, that's about it for performance.

Are you a mountain dwarf as in Trollhagen (Grieg) or the Misty Mountains (Tolkien).

• MountainDwarf
    Are you a mountain dwarf as in Trollhagen (Grieg) or the Misty Mountains (Tolkien).Bitter Crank

I was thinking more along the lines of Dungeons & Dragons. :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.