• blackpegasus
    Back in the days on our ancestors, surviving was complicated and they needed more people to help to their survival. For example, when 2 clans were at war, you wanted more offspring so you dont get exterminated the next day.
    Somehow, in 2017 there is too much people on earth and having children are necessarily for the same reasons as before.

I ask this because some children may see their presence on earth simply empty of purpose. Is creating a soul to fulfill non survival purposes acceptable?
  • T Clark
    I ask this because some children may see their presence on earth simply empty of purpose. Is creating a soul to fulfill non survival purposes acceptable?blackpegasus

Darwin and God have opinions about why having children is necessary, but we humans generally don't. We have children because it's what we do. We're built that way. No philosophy necessary. Philosophy is only needed to understand or justify why having children is unnecessary or unacceptable. Philosophical question - why is it necessary or acceptable to go against our own nature? I'm not saying there might not be good reasons.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.