• szardosszemagad
    Having read Plato, I think I'm okay with being judged by a good, objective judge, if it comes to that.anonymous66

That covers one of the two possibilities. "If it comes to that". And what is your stance on the issue should it not come to that? :-)
  • anonymous66
    If I'm not judged, that would be okay, too. If I was to know in advance there was no afterlife, that would be okay, too.
  • Julianisnotoftheworld
    Personally. I face death with a couple of my own truths,granted as worset says.
    The creator doesn't have to care what ee say or think.
    Death is the opportunity for life.
    Just as destruction breeds creation.
    In Hinduism one god dances to destroy while the other creates.
    This all happening now.
    Imagine if you would an infitine amount of nows. How would that be? It'd be like what I assume the vibration in the air looks like once you've smacked a gong,constantly over and over again without end.
    Every time you hit that "gong" a new universe rings out untill the sound grows silent and fades away but there will be more if it continues to be rung.
    Bang
    Bang
    Bang
    The only constant is the gong itself.
    Maybe thats what we call god or the source
    Some say it's consciousness itself but why does it have to be?
    Life is the intertangled creative thought of the vibration itself making its way in such creative colorful patterns it actually seems,physical.
    As if anything ever was.
    I don't know if I explained that right.
    It's probably all just a big game of hide and seek anyways but what do I know?
    Not a thing.

Btw the hell fire doctorine is tottal crao because we are nothing but receivers for frequencies and thoughts to project off. Kind of like a black mirror. So why is it our fault for what thoughts come in our mind and subsequently the resulting action. If god knew everything from the beginning every move you'd make and at the same time wishes none of his creation perish do you think he would even create you knowing you would end up in hell?
    That sounds like some sick kid on the playground with a maginifne glass terrorizing ants sorta shit that just doesn't make sense.
    I'm not going to get into a discussion of free will and freedom of choice yada yada.
    Just know I'm pretty sure god would understand the ignorance that makes humans do what they do.
    But again he doesn't have to care what anyone thinks.
    He could be a total dick and say fuck you if your not a mormon you're fucked.
    Who knows?
  • Wosret
    I happen to be Chinese today.szardosszemagad

Is what you said. I'm not so low in reading comprehension as much as that is low in intelligiblity. A lot of interpretation was involved, I assumed it meant that you were Chinese, both that day and every other. It could have also meant that you were in Chinese, neither one in anyway would suggest that "therefore you'd know" as it implied.
  • Julianisnotoftheworld
    Probably you'll just live this life over again.
    Learning and relearning.
    Until you finnaly achieve.. .
    Perfect hair.
  • szardosszemagad
    If I'm not judged, that would be okay, too. If I was to know in advance there was no afterlife, that would be okay, too.anonymous66
    Fair enough.

What about being judged by a ruler in the afterlife who has not communicated his or her objectives to you, in fact, mislead you, and what you consider a life well lived, and expect rewards for it, is exactly the opposite to for what he rewards the dead?

I mean, I sort of get it that if you are judged by a fair judge, you will be happy. But what about an unfair judge? Have you considered that possibility?
  • anonymous66
    But what about an unfair judge?szardosszemagad
    Is there anything I can do about it?
  • szardosszemagad
    Well, you can assume the judge is unfair, and start a raping and murdering campaign, peppered with lying, sabotaging work, spreading untrue rumours and doing some insider trading.

But... here's the hitch... you are not given the fact that the promise of reward in the afterlife for living a right life is true or the reverse is true.

This is not fantasy... it's a real life situation. Much as you simply and contently stated you won't mind being judged by a fair judge, you are given assurance neither pro, nor con. You have to decide that, and you have a 50% chance at any rate to go to hell or to go to heaven, and now you can answer your own question, whether there is anything you can do about it.
  • anonymous66
    So, someone dies.. and they're judged by an unfair judge... You propose that this dead person then start murdering people? How would that help?
  • szardosszemagad
    can murder people after I die? How would that help?anonymous66

I don't know what you can do after you die... some people talk about the dead visiting, but the best they can do is drive you insane with constant rattling of bones and rattling chains, so you lose sleep before big the golf game with your boss. That's about all I've heard as facts regarding the actions of the dead.

Please don't give in to the hype... the "night of the living dead" was made with dead extras, there were not any famous dead celeb actors involved in the casting... The celebs mostly failed the auditions when they insisted they want to play Hamlet of Lady MacBeth, and in the middle of their soliloquy their left eye started to run out of its socket, or the actors tried to bite off the casting director's head.
  • deletedmemberwy
    In an ideal logical sense, I could, of course, be wrong. But if religion is a matter of knowledge in the sense that God is a tyrant who may be hiding and waiting to punish the skeptical, then what we are really talking about is a quasi-scientific hypothesis.n0 0ne

According to the Christian Bible, that God does not punish the skeptical for being skeptical. Those that are damned are punished because they willfully sin and violate a set standard of laws. No one accuses a government of being tyrannical when it punishes a criminal for obvious crimes such as stealing or murder, so why would a God be accused of tyranny if He punishes evil?

But why is a God who rewards critical thinking and autonomy any less likely? Why not postulate a God who punishes believers or those who claim to know his nature and intentions? What if God despises all prophets as false prophets?n0 0ne

Hmm, I am not sure I understand your point. Some portrayed gods do attempt to suppress one's ability to think, but that is rather the result of man's interpretation. Many brilliant thinkers believed in a God of logic and reason.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    The most important fact about death is no one really knows what happens during and after death.

So, all talk of an after-life, or not, is mere speculation.

That said, we can make some reasoned guesses on the matter.

If we look at death, as objectively as possible, restricted to only the observable, it appears death is a full-stop to existence.
    TheMadFool

Of course, from the point-of-view of your survivors.

From your own point of view, of course there's no such thing as "oblivion". You never reach or experience the time when you're completely shut down and have no experience. How could you experience a time when you have no experience? You never reach "oblivion".

"Oblivion" is a myth.

That's to say there's no soul

There's no soul, "Mind" or Consciousness separate from the body.

, and no after-life.

Well, let's not jump to conclusions. You never reach "nothing".

In short, science doesn't seem to support the existence of a soul

Science isn't helpful outside its legitimate range of applicability. But yes, there isn't a soul.

which is necessary for an after-life to make sense.

Doesn't follow. As I said, there's no such thing as oblivion, because of course you never experience the time after your experience has completely shut down.

It can be argued that the soul, being immaterial, can't be scientifically examined like, for instance, a rock.

Only the physical world can be scientifically-examined. There's a tendency to want to apply science outside its legitimate range of applicability, resulting in a Science-Worship religion.

Personally, I'm confused. On one hand we have sleep - which, to me, is what's death-like

As Shakespeare noted, in sleep we dream. We don't remember most of our dreams (only those that are close to when we wake up), but we nevertheless experience them. In dreams, we have experience, but don't know about our waking life, and usually believe in the dream-reality.

...all suggesting that we should be cautious about concluding anything about what death is like.

I'm undecided on the matter. Perhaps one has to die first and find out for oneself.

After the initial experiences described in NDE reports, you'll be too unconscious to know that you've found out.

We can all agree that dying is like going to sleep. But that doesn't tell us much in detail. But there's nothing wrong with going to sleep. It happens daily.

But, if you want to discuss what the details might be like--

Eastern traditions have suggested, and it seems metaphysically-supported, reincarnation for most people, and eventually, after many lives, upon thorough life-completion, an end of lives, and then a preference for and reaching of Tiimelessness.

Michael Ossipoff
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube