• Shawn
    That weakness shouldn't be a strength is just a way to avoid real life irony. I don't care if you resent it.Hanover

So, being eligible for being on disability makes me weak or that staying on disability and preferring to do nothing would make me weak?
  • Hanover
    So, being eligible for being on disability makes me weak or that staying on disability and preferring to do nothing would make me weak?Posty McPostface

I'm saying that if you are disabled, you should receive the benefit of the disability insurance, but I'm also saying that any system that incentivizes you to be disabled is a bad one.

If you have the ability to strengthen yourself in any manner, whether that means to receive treatment and get healthier or to receive additional training to place yourself in a position to work despite your disability, you should do that. It's just a basic statement that you should mitigate your disability to the greatest extent possible, and refusing to treat, to train, or do whatever to get yourself not disabled says something significant about your moral worth.

To your specific question, you are as a matter of fact weaker if you can do less than those around you, and it's your own fault if you choose that weakness by your refusal to do anything about it. If there is no avenue for you to eliminate your disability status, then you should take advantage of the system that is in place which was designed for those unfortunate souls like you, who simply cannot enter the work force through no choice of their own.
  • Shawn

Ok, that makes sense. I was afraid you might go all right-wing on me and say that it would be better to kill myself as to not be a drag on others around me, as I have a right win friend who claims that they'd rather kill themselves knowing that they are dependant on disability and so on.

If you've followed what I said in this thread, my conception of work has changed. I no longer view 'working' for money; but, rather have money be something that I make as a secondary thing. Meaning, I'm quite interested in working and doing something I love and would feel proud of helping or benefiting others rather than myself.

I guess, what I'm saying is that I don't really care for money, not that this is because I'm on disability now and Uncle Sam will send me a check; but, it's been an attitude I've had for a long time.

However, your post still brings up another problem. What would you have to say to the clinically depressed person who really doesn't want to work or do anything other than ruminating in their bed or try and kill time online or on these forums due to their diagnosis? I'm starting to see myself falling in that category of sorts and no amount of talk therapy or money motivates me.

Is a Cynic weak for not working and spending time with others or just sees things differently?
  • BC
    The biggest problem I see in disability is that for some people (I am not thinking of you, Postface) is that disability benefits can, paradoxically, become a disability in themselves. This is particularly true for people who have have been working, depended on work for a social life and structure, and become disabled. Work provided them with an essential structure for their lives. Without the necessity of getting up and going to work, some people find their lives fallen apart. They can't provide a structure on their own. They have difficulty rebuilding a social life. They are lonely, and disorganized.

For people in this situation, religious participation, volunteering, a dog that needs to be walked every day, and such activities can help a great deal.
  • Hanover
    What would you have to say to the clinically depressed person who really doesn't want to work or do anything other than ruminating in their bed or try and kill time online or on these forums due to their diagnosis? I'm starting to see myself falling in that category of sorts and no amount of talk therapy or money motivates me.

Is a Cynic weak for not working and spending time with others or just sees things differently?
    Posty McPostface

It's like you're fishing for an insult from me or something. If you're clinically depressed and that diagnosis was made by someone with greater expertise than me, and that is considered to keep you from working, then I'm not doubting the finding, and I'd say you are legitimately disabled. I have no doubts about the legitimacy of mental illness, including depression.

A "cynic" isn't a type of depressed person, but is someone with a particular viewpoint. Being cynical is not a legitimate basis for not working I'd say.
  • Shawn
    A "cynic" isn't a type of depressed person, but is someone with a particular viewpoint. Being cynical is not a legitimate basis for not working I'd say.Hanover

Then, just off the cuff, do priests or monks 'work'? As I think there's some gap in understanding between us about what constitutes a 'working man or woman'.
  • Hanover
    Yes, priests and monks work.
  • Jeremiah
    At my last job working service for small business banking one of my coworkers was blind.
  • BC
    Was he in the fraud detection unit of Wells Fargo?
  • Jeremiah

It was not Wells Fargo and I can't say which bank on any type of social media. However, if you are implying that the fact he was blind caused him to give a lesser service to the customers you would be wrong. He had special equipment that allowed him interact with his computer in braille. I have also worked with coworkers in wheelchairs, and people with metal handicaps. Not everyone with a "disability" allows it to limit them.
  • BC
    if you are implying that the fact he was blind caused him to give a lesser service to the customers you would be wrong.Jeremiah

Of course I was implying no such thing. I was making a joke along the lines of "You'd have to be blind not to see what was going on..."

My comment was aimed at Wells Fargo (and their various fraud problems) not the blind. It would just seem that at Wells Fargo, there must have been someone with very little vision keeping an eye on the bosses -- which is where their fraud originated.

If you are implying that I am prejudiced against handicapped people, you would be wrong.
  • Jeremiah

I got the joke I just didn't think it was funny.
  • Shawn
    At my last job working service for small business banking one of my coworkers was blind.Jeremiah

I think, going on disability for mental issues is in large part an issue arising from a sense of ineptitude or incompetence. Mainly depression I would say. Do you think so too?
  • Jeremiah

I was institutionalized against my will for having paranoid delusional schizophrenia and was diagnosed with severe depression with suicidal ideation. While I was there I had them give me a job cleaning up the grounds. I had a job before I went in, while I was having delusions, and I got a job when I got out.
  • Shawn
    I was institutionalized against my will for having paranoid delusional schizophrenia and was diagnosed with severe depression with suicidal ideation. While I was there I had them give me a job cleaning up the grounds.Jeremiah

Kudos, I'm in a similar boat. I was institutionalized by the military for mixed depression and anxiety; but, later came to terms with the diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia, which I found horrid and hard to accept (it was made even before the military attempt, which I disregarded and gave the Air Force a shot anyway).

I think I've tried in the past (my friend tells me I haven't actually tried anything in my life, which could be true also); but, am now kinda... well... givin up trying as much. Could be the mood stabilizer/antipsychotic though. I love Zyprexa for being such a powerful med; but, am hoping to change it to something else less sedating.

Do you mind if I PM you about these matters?
  • Jeremiah

When I got out I dropped all the anxiety and depression medication I was on, they didn't help they just made me feel slightly stoned, and I didn't like that. I am of the philosophy that I need my sharpest wit to handle the cards dealt.

Do you mind if I PM you about these matters?Posty McPostface

PM if you like, but I am currently working 20+ hours a week and going to college full time (non traditional student I am in my late 30s), so don't expect a speedy reply.
  • Shawn
    When I got out I dropped all the anxiety and depression medication I was on, they didn't help they just made me feel slightly stoned, and I didn't like that. I am of the philosophy that I need my sharpest wit to handle the cards dealt.Jeremiah

So, no meds for the delusions? How do you do that? I'm too scared of dropping my mood stabilizer to even consider what you did, although I did not take any medication for the depression and anxiety while in the military.
  • Jeremiah

"So, no meds for the delusions?"

I don't have delusions anymore, the episodes are triggered by some variable yet to be officially identified. I inherited the condition from my father. He had multiple episodes over his life. The doctors believe the trigger is stress, hence all the drugs. I decided if the trigger was stress, I would mange my own stress levels without the meds. I'll be honest the few years after that choice were the hardest of my life, but here I am over 15 years with no repeat episodes and no meds.
  • Hanover
    I got the joke I just didn't think it was funny.Jeremiah

The joke was funny, and it didn't seem like you got it.
  • Jeremiah
    The joke was funnyHanover

Relative.

it didn't seem like you got itHanover

I am sure there are a lot of things you miss.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.