• Shawn
    [Stream of Conscious ensues]

So, I'm entering a new phase in my life. A phase that will be subsidized by the American taxpayer. I will be receiving benefits from the government of the United States of America for having a disability. I couldn't post this anywhere else due to the stigma and lashings I'd receive for being so grand and blunt and being rather shameless. However, in retrospect, this seems like something I never really expected; but, happened to step into due to my predicament.

I have some comfort in knowing that I will be able to attend college at the same time while receiving benefits. So, this predicament of living with mom and helping out somehow while possibly going to college at the same time is kind of a surprise to me and comforts. As most things in life, we don't know what to expect and this predicament wasn't something I really expected.

At the very least, this is some bedrock that I stand in currently. I will get some money and be able to live off the benefits I get. The prospect of this current state of affairs becoming a long-term reality is something that however worries me (my closest friend is a hardcore right-winger). Maybe I've bought into the right-wing meme propaganda and am starting to emulate their belief system about being a drag on the economy and slowing progress yada-yada. It just in some sense bothers me that I will be on disability and dependant on the Amerian taxpayer. But, then again do Americans complain about the subsidized food and coal that we burn to feed and power our homes? I don't know, there's clearly some cognitive dissonance vibrating here that needs some minor attention.

To not continue on a tangent, I was wondering if anyone else has some experience with the issue? Or what do other more liberal and left-wing members of other states have to say? Would it be really beneficial to me to be able to move to some pro-social welfare European country where I could start over? America has tired me to some degree. Not that I stand above the values of American society, rather that I can't really realize any. It feels like things are changing but not in the way I could have hoped for. I'm not really depressed or suicidal over this predicament. I'm a Stoic regardless of what attitude or sentiment I might profess. Rather I feel that I have some options, which entertains me. If you may let me allow to entertain some of them for you:

My options are to wait for disability to arrive and go to a college whilst living with mom and waiting for a possible housing, in my area, may become available, as I've applied. My other option is still not too clear to me; but, entails moving back to Europe to some place 'Scandinavian'. There's a lot of sentiment and 'sense of belonging' being professed by those countries that deeply conveys to me as a being and social animal. I'm speaking about my personal bias, but it seems true doesn't it, as one can only ask?

Part of impulsive and daring me wants to entertain the Scandinavian option. The other philosophical part is interested in staying put, appreciating what you have, and entertaining the soft, sorrowful, apologetic, me to live with mother and in loving care be with her until the death. *breathes depply*

There's a strong rift; but, the philosophical me is winning. I'm happy with what I have and want to appreciate it more; but, is it time for me to dare into the yonder and see how I measure up to life?

I don't know, any other thoughts much appreciated!
  • Nils Loc
    Don't tell Hanover. He'll unbuckle his belt and start swinging disappointment like the conservative father you never had.

How does one go from being on disability in America to living in some Scandinavian country without dual citizenship? The hurdles for the Scandinavian option are so much more arduous than those in the home country, right? I've the impression that no country really wants to let anyone in who isn't categorically special, useful or rich.
  • Shawn

Well, I have dual-citizenship with Poland, which is part of the EU and thus what would remain is to apply for residency in another EU nation to become a member. Something like that last I rationalized through the process.
  • Agustino
    Well, I have dual-citizenship with Poland, which is part of the EU and thus what would remain is to apply for residency in another EU nation to become a member. Something like that last I rationalized through the process.Posty McPostface
    You don't actually "apply for residence", but rather you go there, rent a place, and then sort out the residence aspect. But to rent a place, the letting agent, unless you're very wealthy, will want to see that you are employed somewhere (or at least have a source of income, but being employed is more certain).
  • Shawn
    You don't actually "apply for residence", but rather you go there, rent a place, and then sort out the residence aspect. But to rent a place, the letting agent, unless you're very wealthy, will want to see that you are employed somewhere (or at least have a source of income, but being employed is more certain).Agustino

Can a preeminently apply for benefits if I have such a status? I mean, I'm pretty sure official documents from the US of A would suffice or is this place to place dependant on individual law based country?
  • Michael
    My girlfriend is, and I was briefly on Job Seeker's and Housing Benefit (about 6 months).

If you need it then you need it. Nothing to be ashamed about.
  • Agustino
    Can a preeminently apply for benefits if I have such a status?Posty McPostface
    A preeminently what? I'm not sure if you can apply for residence from outside the country.

I mean, I'm pretty sure official documents from the US of A would suffice or is this place to place dependant on individual law based country?Posty McPostface
    It is dependent on the individual law of the country, and also the manners in which the law is applied in practice. The law itself and the application of the law are always somewhat different.
  • Agustino
    However, your Polish citizenship will be a huge help all over the EU :P
  • Shawn
    My girlfriend is, and I was briefly on Job Seeker's and Housing Benefit (about 6 months).

If you need it then you need it. Nothing to be ashamed about.
    Michael

Yeah, but I'm afraid the truth is I don't want to work. *gasps*
  • Shawn

It may; but, I haven't lived continuously in Poland for almost a decade. I don't know how that might affect my ability to establish residency in other EU states.

I might have to stick it out in Poland for a while before I can come over to Sweden or Finland. Norway is a place I would consider too depending on the inter-European laws they have with the EU.
  • Michael
    Then you're a lazy benefits scrounger.

Although how does disability benefit work in the U.S? In the UK you get it even if you work.
  • Shawn

I was afraid you would say that. I can't say that that is true. Time will decide.
  • Agustino
    Yeah, but I'm afraid the truth is I don't want to work. *gasps*Posty McPostface
    Why not? It depends on your motivations you see.

When most people say they don't want to work, they really mean they don't want to work a certain job, or in certain conditions. It helps to know what those are for you. For example, for myself, I don't want to work for someone else anymore. And I really can't since I'm very independent-minded, I'd get fired very easily. The only time I'd do it is if I literarily starve. So I know that I can't work if someone else sets the time for me, sets how I need to dress, and bosses me around.

So knowing that, then I can base my life around that. Which is what I've been doing for the last 1-2 years or so. Develop a skill, hone it, expand it, keep growing. Find the type of work you can do. I'm not really passionate about anything in particular, so I don't really care about the skill. I picked web development because I've done some programming before, and found it interesting. Also makes it easier since you can work from anywhere. And recently I've expanded into online marketing too, which is also very interesting. I've learned a lot of design skills over time as well, and I feel my knowledge is becoming more and more solid. Now I pretty much no longer doubt my abilities to "earn a living" assuming I don't get sick and the like. A lot of work pays off sooner or later.

It may; but, I haven't lived continuously in Poland for almost a decade. I don't know how that might affect my ability to establish residency in other EU states.

I might have to stick it out in Poland for a while before I can come over to Sweden or Finland. Norway is a place I would consider too depending on the inter-European laws they have with the EU.
    Posty McPostface
    I don't think it affects it in any way. You are still a Polish citizen.
  • Shawn

Just for that matter, I work for a guy who makes 200k USD a month selling SARM's and etizolam online. So, my view of work has dramatically changed since working predominantly minimum wage jobs for 8 years.
  • Agustino
    Just for that matter, I work for a guy who makes 200k USD selling SARM's online. So, my view of work has dramatically changed since working predominantly minimum wage jobs for 8 years.Posty McPostface
    Yes, money can come very easily from some types of work, but it takes years to develop the infrastructure and practical knowledge required to pull it off. But you're better off working independently than employed for someone else in building that kind of infrastructure.
  • Shawn

It's just that my quantitative understanding of 'work' has changed dramatically. It's really hard to return to a minimum wage job after seeing the gross profits some can make on insane margins importing goods from China and selling them in the US.

Meaning, that I no longer desire to do work for money; but, rather doing 'good' instead of the selfish aspect of making money at work.
  • Agustino
    It's just that my quantitative understanding of 'work' has changed dramatically. It's really hard to return to a minimum wage job after seeing the gross profits some can make on insane margins importing goods from China.Posty McPostface
    >:O . Yes, but it's not so easy to set up that kind of business. It would actually be a lot easier in a country like Poland. Because most people there aren't very familiar with this stuff. Going to less developed countries with such knowledge, always makes making an income much easier.

Even then though, setting up such a business and getting it right from the first time takes a lot of work. Presumably you'd want some minimal experience (at least, let's say 5 paid projects in each) in terms of web development, web design, copywriting, Google Adwords/Adsense, importing/exporting, blogging, online marketing and shipping (if you sell internationally). If you have that, then you understand all the steps involved very well, and can even hire others to do it for you. You'll be very familiar with how it goes, and you can even hire not so good ones and pay them less because you can instruct them what to do and guide them along the way.
  • Agustino
    Oh, and if you go to somewhere like Poland, you'll find a lot of cheap programmers/designers, etc. to hire. Just go to a computer science uni, and speak to someone, tell them you're a company looking to hire some whatever you want, and would like to have access to their students. They'll most likely let you. Easy. And if you tell them you're coming from the US as well - guaranteed access >:O
  • Shawn

One can fantasize, while on disability.
  • Agustino
    One can fantasize, while on disability.Posty McPostface
    LOL! >:O So you plan to be a disabled millionaire? :-O
  • Shawn

I don't know where you got that idea. I meant to say that I'm in no place to offer other people work if I can't d any myself.
  • Hanover
    I couldn't post this anywhere else due to the stigma and lashings I'd receive for being so grand and blunt and being rather shameless.Posty McPostface
    Social Security Disabilty is a federally funded disability program funded by pension payments. It is not welfare. You have to be determined legitimately disabled, which I suspect you have. I'd be no more ashamed to accept those benefits than I would to accept any benefits from any policy of insurance unless my claim were bogus and I had played the system. Assuming that's not the case, those benefits are intended for you, and I wish you well because a life of dependency is not what anyone wants. On the other hand, if your claim was bs, shame on you, but I have no reason to think that.
  • Agustino
    On the other hand, if your claim was bs, shame on you, but I have no reason to think that.Hanover
    I'm sure Posty McPostface is a better administrator of the funds than the government.
  • Shawn
    On the other hand, if your claim was bs, shame on you, but I have no reason to think that.Hanover

*sighs of relief*
  • BC
    I am glad you received disability status. The benefit will help you either find yourself something more satisfactory, or if you don't, keep you from starving into your old age. However... bear in mind, that disability can be revoked. I'm not trying to scare you, but Social Security does periodic reviews to find out if you are still disabled. Most people who are disabled do legitimately stay that way, but they may get better, or the standards of disability may change.

I can't remember how old you are, but you haven't earned very high income in the past, right? So, your disability payment is probably not very large. Do apply for housing assistance. At least in this state, disabled and elderly are the first in line for public housing. But be realistic--how long is the waiting list? If it's 1 year long, not too bad. Ten years... a different story. But sign up anyway. In 10 years you will still need housing.

Do apply for food assistance (food stamps). It will help your disability payment go farther.

I assume that you qualified for disability with a doctor's support. Keep a relationship with your doctor, or some other doctor, because when your case is reviewed you will need to support your claim again. (Most people keep their disability status, because they really are disabled.)

Be sure that going to college doesn't undermine your claim to disability. Taking a full load or better and getting very good grades would kind of undermine your claim. (This would be relevant at the time of your review in several years.)

Yes, you can work and collect disability at the same time, but not work full time for years on end and still collect disability. There is a program for people who want to try returning to work. Your benefit level may sort of force you to work to make ends meet, at least part time, if your benefit level is at the minimum.

What is your medical insurance situation like at this point? Medicaid? (I'm assuming you are not qualified for Medicare yet.)

My partner was disabled for the last 15 years of his life. It greatly improved the quality of his life. Most people who are disabled do much better with disability than without it.

As always, good luck.
  • Hanover
    Everything you said was good but this:

Be sure that going to college doesn't undermine your claim to disability. Taking a full load or better and getting very good grades would kind of undermine your claim.Bitter Crank

Remaining weak shouldn't be a strength.
  • BC
    It isn't a question of remaining weak. It's a question of administrative interpretation. Undertaking college work is a good thing. An administrative judge over-seeing a review might interpret doing well in college as either a sign that the person was trying to better himself, or, was malingering and wasn't actually disabled.

There is no reason for a client to risk having benefits to which he is legitimately entitled taken away because of misinterpretation of the client's intent. I'm just suggesting that our client use some caution.
  • Shawn

Thanks for the advice. I'm already on food stamps, and I believe I've applied for housing in my area. I also have Medicare or Medicaid (whatever covers drugs I get in full.)

Be sure that going to college doesn't undermine your claim to disability. Taking a full load or better and getting very good grades would kind of undermine your claim. (This would be relevant at the time of your review in several years.)Bitter Crank

Yes, I suppose that is a concern. I will have to confirm that I can go to college and be on disability at the same time.

Yes, you can work and collect disability at the same time, but not work full time for years on end and still collect disability. There is a program for people who want to try returning to work. Your benefit level may sort of force you to work to make ends meet, at least part time, if your benefit level is at the minimum.Bitter Crank

I figure cash jobs might be my best bet. Plenty of stuff to do for cash in California, now that Cannabis is legal.

As always, good luck.Bitter Crank

Thanks!
  • Shawn
    Remaining weak shouldn't be a strength.Hanover

What's the motivation in making this statement? I've always resented that social Darwinian attitude professed by the right, in the U.S.
  • Shawn
    I'm just suggesting that our client use some caution.Bitter Crank

Great, now I'm a client. How much do I owe you two? >:O
  • Hanover
    What's the motivation in making this statement? I've always resented that social Darwinian attitude professed by the right, in the U.S.Posty McPostface

That weakness shouldn't be a strength is just a way to avoid real life irony. I don't care if you resent it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.