• bert1
    If so, then what makes "consciousness" mine?180 Proof

Nothing, I suggest. What makes you 180 Proof is not consciousness, but your body, history, emotions, etc. Consciousness bears subjectivity, but not character/individuation. But this is paradoxical, I concede.
  • 180 Proof
    I feel like a asshole.bert1
    No doubt.

I concede.bert1
    My questions were for @Pantagruel to clarify his specific statement which he cannot because it's gibberish. And your response, bert, isn't "paradoxical", just more semantic jugglery.
  • bert1
    No doubt.180 Proof

I'm learning to live with it
  • 180 Proof
    So are we. :mask:
  • Pantagruel
    Not everything that can be proven can be proven at this moment, just like not everything that can be rebutted can be rebutted at this moment. Life is largely anecdotal. For someone with a formidable intellect, you are remarkably unimaginative.
  • Sam26
    Testimonial Evidence and Other Comments

Most of what people tell us about their sensory experiences is trustworthy. If this wasn’t the case we would be reduced to silence. This doesn’t mean that we just accept everything people say, it just means that most of what people relay to us is reliable; and since it’s generally reliable along with our sensory experiences it’s a genuine epistemological category along with other ways of acquiring knowledge. This way of knowing is much more pervasive than even science. It doesn’t have the glamour of science or the creative power of science, at least seemingly so, but its power in our lives is undeniable.

One can always point to counter-examples where large groups of people believed X and their belief or beliefs turned out to be false. However, this does nothing to the argument that testimonial evidence or our sensory experiences are generally reliable, which is the bedrock of NDE testimonials. If such examples diminished the effectiveness of the general reliability of such justifications, then it would also diminish sciences’ ability to be an effective way of justifying their beliefs or theories because science depends on testimony, sensory experience (observation), mathematics, and logic to validate many of their experiments. If you removed sensory experiences from science, it would collapse.

My approach is simple, in that I’m applying Occam’s Razor to the evidence, i.e., the simplest explanation is probably the best explanation. This is how we approach most testimonial evidence in our lives. This is not to say that science isn’t helpful because it is, but that science is by its very nature materialistic, although that is slowly changing. Moreover, the tools of most scientists are not conducive to the study of consciousness because consciousness in my estimation is not materialistic, and this nonmaterialistic aspect can be understood with a simple understanding of our subjective experiences.

The truth of the matter is that for many materialists no amount of evidence would convince them because they’re so entrenched in their beliefs. This is also true of religious ideology; no amount of counterevidence would dissuade them because they’re so dogmatically entrenched in their beliefs. Nothing seems to falsify such beliefs, which is mostly the result of dogmatism. Dogmatism in many cases is the enemy of truth.

NDEs have the same structure that any veridical experience would have, i.e., they all show slightly different variations that fit the general structure of any veridical experience. This in itself isn’t strong evidence that the experiences are veridical, but it adds to the overall picture that the experiences are veridical. In other words, it’s exactly what you would expect from veridical experiences. Whereas in a hallucination, for example, you wouldn’t find the consistency of experience, nor the corroborative aspects (objective components) that you find in NDEs/OBEs.

My epistemological point of view is that we rely too much on science as some be-all and end-all of knowledge and this just isn’t the case. Most might agree with this epistemological point of view and yet their responses betray their reliance on science as their go-to response. Science is just one more way of using logic, sensory experience, mathematics, and experimentation to answer questions about physical reality. This isn’t to say that science is not important or that we shouldn’t use scientific methods, it just means that science at this stage cannot explain, despite what some people are claiming in this thread, much of the testimonial evidence about OBEs. And if you read a broad range of the literature across the scientific spectrum there are many unanswered questions about the nature of consciousness. It’s not a solved question as some in here might think.

The only evidence and its strong evidence, for our subjective experiences is our collective subjective experiences, each of us has similar experiences albeit with slight variations. The slight variations are an important component of our individual conscious experiences, and they set us apart as individuals.

Most people would consider sufficiently reliable the testimony of 10 or 20 people on most everyday events and would consider the need for science to verify such evidence as ridiculous. Of course, this depends on what people are claiming in their testimony. If 10 or 20 people are claiming they saw Bigfoot I’d be a bit skeptical, you’re going to need a lot more evidence than that, and you’re going to need much more corroboration along with bodies, bones, or other material evidence. The point is that different claims need more or less evidence depending on how much goes against what we normally experience. In the case of OBEs, we have millions of accounts, in a variety of settings, with thousands being corroborated, and the memories are as consistent or stronger than memories of other veridical experiences. These facts suggest that ordinary everyday citizens can, based on a cursory study of the testimony, conclude that OBEs do happen. I say that it’s enough evidence for people to claim that they know OBEs happen. I would further say that if you’ve had the experience, it’s perfectly reasonable to conclude that the experience was veridical, i.e., that you know it’s veridical. Case in point Dr. Eban Alexander’s (neuroscientist) NDE given here:

Proof of Heaven: The Science Behind the Near-Death Experience & Consciousness w/ Dr. Eben Alexander ((https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msu6_HVRzuI)

To dismiss Dr. Alexander’s testimony, which in itself is very convincing, is to ignore very powerful experiences, that at the very least should be considered and studied with an open mind.

Back a few posts I mentioned David Chalmers not as someone who supports my ideas, but as someone who isn’t as dogmatic about some of these issues as some of you seem to be. He’s surprisingly open-minded even though his conclusions are contrary to many of my conclusions. I enjoyed this recent talk about consciousness at the following link:

What Creates Consciousness? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-iq-0yJNM&t=2001s

It seems quite clear that people who accept the testimonial evidence that what people see while having an OBE based on what they (doctors, nurses, friends, etc.) know happened is eminently reasonable. Cases, such as the one where a lady after having a heart attack describes what she saw while claiming to be outside her body, viz., a shoe on a ledge outside the hospital. A hospital staff member later verified that the shoe was where the lady said it was and even described the placement of the shoelace. The shoe was located in a spot that wasn’t easy to see by looking out a window. Now it would be easy to dismiss such accounts as anecdotal, but many of these accounts are easy to verify or corroborate. And if these accounts were rare, I would dismiss them too, but they are not rare. Of course, you can always point to a possible explanation that might account for such testimony, but that’s no reason to dismiss the account. Some believe that if you can explain how this could have happened via some other vehicle this somehow diminishes the hundreds of thousands of corroborated accounts. Moreover, because some explanation might explain how a person could see the shoe under such circumstances this doesn’t mean that that is the explanation. Yet people are so eager to dismiss such explanations that they’ll grab onto anything that looks like a possible explanation. The number and variety of such reports are much more compelling than some supposed theory that dismisses the testimony wholesale. The fact that something is possible (a possible reason or cause) is not a reason to believe it’s true. Many of the explanations that supposedly account for these OBEs have very little support when compared to what happened given the medical states of these people.

There is no doubt that neuroscience has made a lot of progress over the recent decades, but none of this progress definitively rebuts OBEs or that consciousness survives death. At best science can establish a correlation between the brain and consciousness but not causation. The hope is that we will eventually be able to establish a physical causal account of consciousness. This is the view of many neuroscientists. But to think that we already can give a definitive account of consciousness as materialistic is just false, it’s just one theory that some scientists and philosophers believe.

Another case is the case of Al Sullivan (Al Sullivan - Near death out of body experience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-91QXXsyEc&list=PL5yFMykZj0Mz4nDtOMT-0LK9fM4R_7NNK) in which he describes what’s happening in the operating room and the unusual movements of the surgeon. The most reasonable explanation is that he was seeing what was happening from a vantage point outside his body. To dismiss the many thousands (actually millions) of these accounts by saying they’re anecdotal or they’re hallucinations, or it’s a lack of oxygen, or any speculative account besides what’s reported by those who were there is to ignore important data.

One final point, although I put a lot of stock into much of the testimony, there is growing evidence that about 10% (estimate, maybe more) of the testimony on YouTube is created for clicks and is not reliable. After studying NDEs and OBEs for many years I can usually spot those that are not reliable, but this is only the case because of the number of cases I studied before YouTube and other platforms were as ubiquitous as they are now.
  • Sam26
    An interesting discussion between Bernard Carr & Bernardo Kastrup about consciousness and its relation to time. I find this an interesting topic in relation to my views of consciousness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR0etE_OfMY&t=3355s
  • Wayfarer
    Hey Sam - great you’ve discovered this site - Essentia Foundation is a really important voice in this debate. I will take this one in. Oh, and your long post above this one, I’ll take that in as well.
  • Wayfarer
    I will make a philosophical point, in respect of the link you provided to the video ‘what creates consciousness?’ That point is that to understand what creates or gives rise to something, is to explain it in terms of something else. The issue with consciousness, is that you must first be a conscious agent to create or provide any kind of explanation. So in that sense, it’s extremely hard to avoid a non-question-begging account of consciousness (where ‘begging the question’ already assumes what the argument is setting out to prove.) In other words, any kind of reduction or explanation can only be offered by a conscious agent. We can’t, as it were, examine it from the outside, as an object to be explained, because we’re always already ‘inside’ it. That’s the precise sense in which consciousness is ‘irreducible’ - that is, it can’t be explained by something else. (Of course, cognitive science provides explanations of the functions of consciousness in terms of neuroscience, and so on, but that is what Chalmers describes as an ‘easy problem’. To describe what consciousness is with reference to anything other than consciousness, is the ‘hard problem’.)
  • 180 Proof
    The issue with consciousness, is that you must first be a conscious agent to create or provide any kind of explanation.Wayfarer
    (a) How do you know (i.e. corroborate) that you or any other agent is "conscious" if "consciousness" is completely, inaccessibly subjective? :chin:

(b) And if neither you nor any agent can know (i.e. corroborate) that you, herself or any other agent is "conscious," then on what grounds do you conclude, without vicious circularity, that "any kind of explanation" requires "that you must be a conscious agent"?

(c1) So, in principle, it is impossible for a future, non-conscious AGI-system "agent to create or provide any kind of explanation"?

(c2) And if it does "explain" anything, then, by your reasoning, Wayfarer, that would be evidence the AGI-system is a "conscious agent" (affirming the consequent be damned)?

Most of what people tell us about their sensory experiences is trustworthy...Sam26
    The first paragraph in your post, sir, is riddled with special pleading, appeal to incredulity & appeal to popularity, and also jejune folk psychology. C'mon, how about some philosophizing sans the fallacies & pseudo-science. :roll:

Life is largely anecdotal [sophistry].Pantagruel
    Yeah, like your posts ... care to try again?

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/918584
  • Pantagruel
    Life is largely anecdotal [sophistry].
    — Pantagruel
    Yeah, like your posts ... care to try again?
    180 Proof

Sure.

"Practical Science...is philosophy, which deals with positive truth, indeed, yet contents itself with observations such as come within the range of every man's normal experience, and for the most part, in every waking hour of his life....These observations escape the untrained eye precisely because they permeate our whole lives...."
    CS Peirce, "Philosophy and the Sciences"

Indeed, I find Peirce's views to be entirely consonant with my own with respect to the fundamentally limited and approximate character of scientific knowledge, compared with the plenary nature of both reality and our phenomenological experience of it. Peirce is also careful to distinguish between the experimental endeavour, versus just "reading about" something, which I also endorse.

In short, scientific reasoning, if it is legitimate, inherently acknowledges that its results are always open for further correction. And it also acknowledges that there are dimensions and aspects of reality of which it is wholly uninformed. If it doesn't, it is just dogmatism, mere dogmatism.
  • Lionino
    Peirce is also careful to distinguish between the experimental endeavour, versus just "reading about" something, which I also endorse.Pantagruel

Mary's room.
  • Pantagruel
    Mary's room.Lionino

Is based on a faulty premise that one can acquire "all the physical facts" that there are about something. Which is implied by my further comments on the inherently compartmentalized and abstract-approximate nature of scientific knowledge in general.

In short, experience overflows our knowledge of it, which is self-evident to me. I know there are some people who think they "know it all" though. They don't.
  • Lionino
    You thinking that my post was supposed to be a counter-argument is a bit funny.
  • Pantagruel
    Inasmuch as you didn't see fit to amplify it I took it that way and responded appropriately. What I thought was funny was that you didn't bother to offer any comment.
  • Sam26
    I will make a philosophical point, in respect of the link you provided to the video ‘what creates consciousness?’ That point is that to understand what creates or gives rise to something, is to explain it in terms of something else. The issue with consciousness, is that you must first be a conscious agent to create or provide any kind of explanation. So in that sense, it’s extremely hard to avoid a non-question-begging account of consciousness (where ‘begging the question’ already assumes what the argument is setting out to prove.) In other words, any kind of reduction or explanation can only be offered by a conscious agent. We can’t, as it were, examine it from the outside, as an object to be explained, because we’re always already ‘inside’ it.Wayfarer

Whether or not one's explanation of consciousness is question-begging depends on the argument. I would agree that we can't get outside of our particular view, but we are outside the consciousness of others, so in this sense, we can have an objective point of view. That said, we don't have a clue as to what causes consciousness, and I for one have never attempted to answer this question. I know that you are responding to the video, so I'm saying this as a point of clarification.

A materialist's view of consciousness is what is studied from the physicalist standpoint, viz, they're observing an objective view (looking at the brains of other humans or animals, etc) of the brain's activity, so there can be an objective point of view, and this isn't question-begging. I disagree with their conclusions, but it's not question-begging. So, we can be outside the consciousness of others, we aren't confined to our particular view. Also, others can and do look at the objective evidence and make inferences based on that evidence, which, again, is not question-begging.

The first paragraph in your post, sir, is riddled with special pleading, appeal to incredulity & appeal to popularity, and also jejune folk psychology. C'mon, how about some philosophizing sans the fallacies & pseudo-science. :roll:180 Proof

This is just nonsense. One wonders if you have ever studied logic. You keep appealing to logic, but you don't seem to understand the basics of logic. So, you can roll your eyes all you want it does nothing to support your contention. If anything, it does the opposite.
  • 180 Proof
    Thank you. :yawn:

just dogmatism, mere dogmatism.Pantagruel
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/918584

Straight-forward, relevant questions are beyond you. Gotcha, Pants. Just checking.

How do you know (i.e. corroborate) that you or any other agent is "conscious" if "consciousness" is completely, inaccessibly subjective?
    — 180 Proof

cogito, ergo sum
    Wayfarer
    :sweat: :lol: :rofl:

Neither thinking nor existing (individually or jointly) equals "consciousness"; besides, Descartes' slogan (epitaph) is a non sequitur, sir.
  • Wayfarer
    (a) How do you know (i.e. corroborate) that you or any other agent is "conscious" if "consciousness" is completely, inaccessibly subjective?180 Proof

cogito, ergo sum
  • Pantagruel
    Straight-forward, relevant questions are beyond you. Gotcha180 Proof

I'm sorry, what exactly was the question again? All I saw was more of your trademark wit, but no actual philosophical commentary of any kind. I substantiated my position anyway.
  • 180 Proof
    :lol: Well, apparently you're too lazy to think so it's no surprise you're also too lazy to click on the link I've provided in my previous two posts to an earlier post with the questions you obviously cannot answer.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.