• Shawn
    I've heard this phrase before, but, it's such an elegant phrase that when heard again it reigns in its awesomeness. It is what it is.

Where and how did this phrase originate from? It seems devoid of any metaphysical baggage, almost as if a logical truth.

Does anyone else use this phrase? I'm trying to think of a situation where it can be used aptly.

• Rich
    The metaphysical issue is "what is it?". Different for each observer?
  • Shawn
    The metaphysical issue is "what is it?".Rich

It still is what it is.

Whereof one cannot speak thereof one ought to remain silent.
  • Rich
    It seems to be different for each observer. So what is is?
  • WayfarerAccepted Answer
    Where and how did this phrase originate from?Posty McPostface

New age, I think. Probably originating from mindfulness teachings; 'choiceless awareness' - which was a saying of Krishnamurti's 'to see things just as they are, without condemning it or justifying it'. It's a wise saying, although like anything can descend into cliché.
  • Shawn
    It seems to be different for each observer. So what is is?Rich

It is what it is.

God that phrase is catchy, like a mantra that needs to be told and told again to a disordered mind.
  • Cavacava
    'It is what it is', meaning?

Alfred Whitehead equated 'it is what it is', with a things essence. William Safire traced its use back to 1949 by J.E, Lawrence in Nebraska Journal. "New land is harsh and vigorous and sturdy. It scorns evidence of weakness.There is nothing of sham or hypocrisy in it. It is what it is without apology."

Reminded me of a line from a song.... Kacey Musgraves "It Is What It Is , till it ain't no more"
  • Rich
    Well the origin is probably the 1930's Popeye cartoons by the Fleischer Bothers. Popeye use too say, "I am what I am and that's all's that I am". Credit where it is due.
  • Harkatscott
    I see this phrase used in conversation to explain a powerlessness in a given situation. It is beyond my control, it is what it is. Usually in a negative connotation, I rarely see it used with positive news. Perhaps it can be considered as a euphemism or verbal short cut, like an unwillingness to explain all the complex details in a convoluted situation... idunno, it is what it is.
  • BC
    Not that I give a rat's ass whether it is, was, or will be, but... Que sera, sera. Whatever will be will be.

"It Is What It Is' is an idiomatic phrase, indicating the immutable nature of an object or circumstance. This is commonly used in American culture as a response of acceptance to something that makes little sense or has little to no validity. [edit: used a lot because so any things make so little sense.] It may also refer to: It Is What It Is, a 2001 film directed by Billy Frolick.

It may also refer to:

It Is What It Is, a 2001 film directed by Billy Frolick
    It Is What It Is, a 2007 autobiography by David Coulthard
    It Is What It Is: Conversations About Iraq, a project by English artist Jeremy Deller
    It Is What It Is, a radio show hosted by Michigan sports radio broadcaster Sean Baligian
    In Music

It Is What It Is (ABN album), a 2008 album by the rap duo ABN
    It Is What It Is, a 1982 album by the Australian rock band The Hitmen
    It Is What It Is, a working title for the 2007 album by the rapper Cassidy released as B.A.R.S. The Barry Adrian Reese Story
    "It Is What It Is (What It Is)", a song by the rock band Adam Again on the 1992 album Dig
    "It Is What It Is", a song by Lifehouse on the 2010 album Smoke & Mirrors
    It Is What It Is, a song by Kacey Musgraves on the 2013 album Same Trailer Different Park
    "It Is What It Is", a song by Lecrae on the 2016 mixtape, Church Clothes 3"
  • Wayfarer
    This is commonly used in American culture as a response of acceptance to something that makes little sense or has little to no validity

I had thought it a bit more hopeful than that, but I guess it is what it is....
  • Shawn
    Isn't 'It is what it is', put together the three laws of thought into one propositional attitude entity? It has all three properties of thought put into one proposition true for any modality and state of affairs that are observer dependent.

The law of identity, check. (It is what it is, ontology affirmed via self-identification)

The law of non-contradiction, check. (Either it is what it is or it isn't -> It is what it is -> thus affirming its own ontological status)

The law of excluded middle, check. (It is what it is, affirming its own state of affairs.)

What's not to like about something being what it is?

After all, it is what it is!
  • Streetlight
    I see this phrase used in conversation to explain a powerlessness in a given situation. It is beyond my control, it is what it is. Usually in a negative connotation, I rarely see it used with positive news. Perhaps it can be considered as a euphemism or verbal short cut, like an unwillingness to explain all the complex details in a convoluted situation... idunno, it is what it is.Harkatscott

Yeah, this. 'It is what it is' is usually a statement of resignation, or inability to affect a change -powerlessness, as you put it. It tends to stand as a reluctant justification for the status quo. As if the sotto voce of 'don't question it' follows in the wake of it's use.
  • Wayfarer
    It's practical wisdom, caring for oneself.Πετροκότσυφας

That's how I originally understood it. But I think it's been overused, often to wrong effect. 'What do you mean, I'm fired, without any severance pay? That's illegal!' 'We've been through it already. Hey, it is what it is'.
  • S
    It's basically just a statement of the law of identity with further implied meaning. It can indicate a stoical attitude, as with other idioms such as "There's no point crying over spilt milk" and "It's water under the bridge".
  • Streetlight
    It can be seen as an ability, an ability to understand the rules (i.e. the presuppositions) of the game. Being able to recognise this, enables one to continue (and improve) the game, not to resign.Πετροκότσυφας

I suppose resignation itself doesn't necessarily have to have a negative hue, to the extent that one can resign oneself to play by the rules, and be a better 'player' for it. I was going to propose another, even more emancipatory reading as well, that to the extent that something 'is as it is', one ought to dispense with what is altogether. As in, one can give a non-reformist, revolutionary reading to the phrase as well. Not unlike Daenery's promise to 'break the wheel', if we have any Game of Thrones followers among is.
  • Wayfarer
    I perfectly agree, that is the point I tried to make, although you made it much more clearly.
  • ALLTRUE
    It is what it is...if it wasnt then why would it be?

People are either quick to assume that they have the basic knowledge of something. Or they have a great deal invested into their belief against it. I have IT IS WHAT IT IS tattooed on my back for all to see it is my only tattoo and its alwaus starts a convo. I have noticed may people will argue to me that its a rather basic statement and they dont like the idea of basically ACCEPTING whatever it may be. Like to accept a shitty situation and just say it is what it is. I find that those people have a very basic level of thought.

No matter what you dress it up as or disguise something as or rearrange sometjiny into it is ans always will continue to be exactly what it is. So to me it is what it is represents TRUTH and how the truth is so widely disputed hated hidden adulterated and practically mutilated for personal gain profit power manipulation survival and just plain sick evil pleasures....

I'm rambling but its because I am low on time and battery. If anyone out there wants to discuss this shit in detail or is interested in rescuing someone from a very tough spot and jist needs a small amount of assistance to escpae jjst send a private message or post on this feed. Sometimes saving a life is just a snap of the fingers away.
  • CasKev
    To me, the person who uses that phrase is saying that: 'it' is what they consider to be an absolute truth (e.g. gravity is here to stay, so you might as well get used to it); or 'it' is so deeply rooted that any reasonable effort won't cause 'it' to change, so you might as well accept 'it' (e.g. your grandfather is an idiot - get used to it).
  • Michael Ossipoff

As I mentioned at the other topic where this came up the other day, "It is what it is", is a meaningless truism, conveying no information, saying nothing.

It's a common standard utterance coming from Neo-Advaitists. Neo-Advaita is a modern Western modification of Advaita, a sort of drive-throuigh-convenience version of Advaita.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Nils Loc
    As I mentioned at the other topic where this came up the other day, "It is what it is", is a meaningless truism, conveying no information, saying nothing. — Ossipoff

"It is what it is" is but a shadow, a poor truism
    That appears and is judged upon this forum
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by a mind, full of banal cogitations,
    Signifying nothing.

~Michillam Shakessipoff
  • Jake Tarragon
    Can I suggest that "it is what it is" is the seed of an infinite regress that is neither "vicious" or "benign" to use@Mr Bee 's terminology of the topic he started In fact, it is what it is what it is......a neutral infinite regress.
  • Jake Tarragon
    Furthermore, I suggest that all neutral infinite regresses are homomorphs of "it is what it is".
  • S
    As I mentioned at the other topic where this came up the other day, "It is what it is", is a meaningless truism, conveying no information, saying nothing.Michael Ossipoff

That's not true. You just have to read between the lines. It might help to think about how and when it's used rather than it's literal meaning. It can be useful in certain contexts, like when people overcomplicate things or ask poorly considered questions.
  • Michael Ossipoff

Overcomplication happens a lot in philosophy. But it seems that it would be more helpfully-answered by just saying, "You're making it more complicated than it is."

Michael Ossipoff
  • S
    Overcomplication happens a lot in philosophy. But it seems that it would be more helpfully-answered by just saying, "You're making it more complicated than it is."Michael Ossipoff

Same difference.
  • John Days
    Does anyone else use this phrase? I'm trying to think of a situation where it can be used aptly.Posty McPostface

I personally find the phrase frustrating when it comes to debates because it adds no information; it's only a rephrasing of information already explored, and it's usually done as a way of covering for a weak spot in the argument (e.g. How can you possibly conclude that the universe is God, when it makes no decisions, does not think about you, does not have any expectations for you, and is not even alive? It is what it is).
  • John Days
    As I mentioned at the other topic where this came up the other day, "It is what it is", is a meaningless truism, conveying no information, saying nothing.Michael Ossipoff

Hi Michael. I just noticed your post after I made my post. I see we basically said the same thing. Nice. :)
  • Shawn

It is what it is.
  • John Days
    It can be useful in certain contexts, like when people overcomplicate things or ask poorly considered questions.Sapientia

Heh, I like that; the more diplomatic way of saying, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer".
  • John Days
    It is what it is.Posty McPostface

You're a glutton for irony. :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.