• _db
    Poor internet connection, especially when my work requires a high bandwidth. My apartment gets a bandwidth of around 1.5 Mbps tops. The amount of unexpected server responses on time-sensitive projects drives me up the wall. I can't exactly do my work if the server times out on the goddamn login screen. >:o
  • Chany
    Oh boy, do I got a long list.

To name a few:

Being interrupted in certain situations. If I'm having a casual conversation with friends, it doesn't really bother me as much. In other scenarios, however, it pisses me off. In some cases, I will wait five minutes to say something and let others talk. I give a second to pause, then I start saying my piece. Second or third syllable in, someone continues on with their conversation as if it wasn't obvious I was talking. Apparently, it is okay when I have to wait a minute to speak, but it is not okay when they have to wait. It really bothers me, especially when it occurs multiple times in a row.

People who are extremely dismissive of intellectuals as being this elite and snobbish class.

People (including some popular philosophers) who think they are being clever with some special insight no one thought of before that everyone has thought of before. Bonus points if its a wordplay type "insight".

Optimistic, happy extroverts who are pushy. You happy and positive. I get it. Now get away from me.
  • 0 thru 9

Every thread needs a theme song.
  • BC
    Second or third syllable in, someone continues on with their conversation as if it wasn't obvious I was talking.Chany

That bugs me a lot too. Sometimes I really wonder, "was I just imagining that I was talking?" when some jerk butted in and took over the conversation as if no one had the floor.

Humorless knot holes.

Sanctimonious hypocrites.

The kind of conservative who is always saying no one wants to work these days.
    The kind of liberal who is always identifying racists, sexists, and so on.

Micromanagers. (Well, really most supervisors and managers whatever they do.)

People who are like cats -- who are very picky about who they will talk to, socialize with, purr for, sit next to, have sex with, etc, and {i}especially when they condescend to grace one with their presence.[/i] Elitist snobs, in other words. I lift my leg on them.

I prefer the more egalitarian dog types.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    It pisses me off when people say "It is what it is".................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Michael Ossipoff
    How about the double-is?

The thing is-is, that usage became fashionable maybe around the '90s. Clinton was a particularly frequent double-is-er, but he didn't invent it.

Maybe it started because people wanted to say something that sounded like an unusually awkward and difficult construction, trying for the sound of "The way it is, is that they're just going to keep that policy.", or something like that, to prove their courageous and hip willingness to unconventionally follow logic. ...but didn't want to bother coming up with such a sentence, and just lazily doubled an "is".

The double-is, isn't dead by any means. It is-is all over radio presentations and conversations.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Michael Ossipoff
    It pisses me off when people say "It is what it is".ArguingWAristotleTiff

That's an official standard utterance for Neo-Advaitists. ...but Neo-Advaita would be a whole other topic of dismay and annoyance.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Nils Loc
    Everything happens for a reason. Say what you will about it, but it is what it is.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    Everything happens for a reason. Say what you will about it, but it is what it is.Nils Loc

But that's obviously a truism, and conveys no information. Anyone it's told to already knew that it is what it is.

It is what it is, but that fact has no bearing on or relevance to whatever utterance it replies to.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Michael Ossipoff
    People talking with food in their mouth.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Nils Loc

Your reply is insufficient but it is what it is. It could've been other than what it was.
  • Agustino
    I think it would be much more surprising if they said it ain't what it is >:O
  • Michael Ossipoff
    It could've been other than what it was.Nils Loc

But it's already obvious to everyone that it isn't/wasn't.

Michael Ossipoff
  • unenlightened
    The way my ears can hear so much better than my fingers can play.
  • Sir2u
    It pisses me off when people ask how I can be a moral person if I don't believe in god.
    Just as bad is when they ask if you believe in the devil when they find out you don't believe in god.
  • Chany
    Everything happens for a reason. Say what you will about it, but it is what it is.Nils Loc

That reminds me: people who say cliche lines right out of a book in response to negative situations. Bonus points if you just opened up to them or asked them for personal advice.
  • Nils Loc
    That reminds me: people who say cliche lines right out of a book in response to negative situations. Bonus points if you just opened up to them or asked them for personal advice. — Chany

Yeah, well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Duh.
  • S
    Noisy children and the persistently rude bitch at work, to name just a few.
  • Michael
    Came here to say the same thing.
  • Agustino
    persistently rude bitch at workSapientia
    Someone is in love? (L) >:)
  • Mariner
    "The system is not working right now, there is nothing we can do". As if this were my problem rather than theirs.
  • fishfry
    People tailgating me on a four lane freeway. Happened again this morning. Dude if you don't like how I'm driving then pick one of the other three available lanes! And I'm not driving slowly, I'm driving behind someone who's driving behind someone. It's a freeway full of cars all going well over the speed limit to start with. Grrrrrrrr.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    That's an official standard utterance for Neo-Advaitists. ...but Neo-Advaita would be a whole other topic of dismay and annoyance.Michael Ossipoff

Hiya Michael Ossipoff! Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    It is what it is.Posty McPostface

~raising an eyebrow at you

Really now?
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff

Haha! I see what you did there. :) Adorable you are!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    It could've been other than what it was.Nils Loc

Now this one I could take a liking to but it would contradict my Sunny disposition. ;)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    It is what it is.Posty McPostface

See this line _____________________? >:o
  • Shawn

It is what it is. >:)
  • GoobyDoo
    Whenever a religious person is considered intelligent.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.