• WISDOMfromPO-MO
    Time to get something off of my chest. I have carried this around for a long time, but I don't recall ever sharing it with anybody. Therefore, any people reading this are my first victims.

I know that I am an above average writer. I would probably excel at work like grant writing, speech writing, etc., but I am convinced that jobs with such work are now extremely scarce, there is a lot of competition for them, and, therefore, it would be prudent not to play any cards in my hand with a writing career in mind.

But I am not here to talk about career choices. I am here to talk about academic life.

Basically, I can produce good written work in sociology, political science, geography, etc. easily and with​ minimal effort. I feel like I am spoiled​. Once, after procrastinating until the last minute I whipped up a research paper for a political science class in one night. An "A" on that paper, and an "A" in the class. Somebody will probably bring up grade inflation, but I learned a lot researching and writing that paper and I was pleased with the final product, so it doesn't matter.

However, historical writing intimidates me. I enjoy doing​ historical research, but I have zero confidence about ever being able to produce scholarly historical writing. If it was not for that I would seriously consider changing direction academically and pursuing a degree in history if I ever make it back to school (the issues of the developing world is what I have for a long time wanted to spend my academic career on, so majoring in history would be a 180 degree turn).

Is all of this anxiety over nothing?

Or is historical writing in fact different from writing in the social sciences--telling a story more than making an argument--and something that only a few can develop a feel for?
  • Wayfarer
    Once, after procrastinating until the last minute I whipped up a research paper for a political science class in one night.WISDOMfromPO-MO

So, you're an enrolled student? You're writing academic work for assessment in a degree or non-degree class? If so, would you consider enrolling in history? That would provide an opportunity for feedback, assessment and guidance.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    So, you're an enrolled student? You're writing academic work for assessment in a degree or non-degree class? If so, would you consider enrolling in history? That would provide an opportunity for feedback, assessment and guidance.Wayfarer

I have not been enrolled for 16 years. I have 58 credit hours. If I was to change my major to history I would, being in my junior year, be expected to take a class in writing history and produce a research paper immediately.

That scares me.

I did have a conversation with a customer at one of my jobs the other day about a topic from local history that I have imagined writing a scholarly paper on. I can now say that I have at least a few minutes of practice interviewing sources.
  • BC
    Is all of this anxiety over nothing?WISDOMfromPO-MO

Yes, it is anxiety for nothing IF you never try to produce writing about the history of something or someone. What about the history of international development? A lot has happened in this field over the last century -- some of it very good, some of it very bad. There is a lot of history that has not been 'captured'.

One author said "Just get it written". Dive in to some manageable project and write some history. Then you'll know whether you can do it or not.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.