• Shawn
    Heard he had multiple casual relations with his students.Akanthinos

Stop, your making Wittgenstein sound like a human!

Sorry for being an apologetic Wittgensteinian, haha!
  • Akanthinos
    Stop, your making Wittgenstein sound like a human!Posty McPostface

Well, good, reading again my comment I didn't want to make him sound like an asshole. I mean, very often, when a teacher sleep with his student, that's in part because he's an asshole, but sometimes its not. So yeah, a human being.

Anyways, even if I think he wasn't a saint and that he probably was a tortured individual (Karl W. seemed like a fucking psychopath), he was still significantly less creepy than Heiddy.
  • anonymous66
    Putting aside his sexual orientation, no matter what it might have been. I wouldn't want to live Wittgenstein's life. I don't see much that is worthy of admiration. He clearly physically assaulted some of the children in his schoolroom. He was hard to get along with.

I suppose he did have some good qualities. He valued honesty. He even went so far as to go back and apologize to the schoolchildren.

He definitely had some interesting things to say about philosophy.
  • Agustino
    Well, good, reading again my comment I didn't want to make him sound like an asshole. I mean, very often, when a teacher sleep with his student, that's in part because he's an asshole, but sometimes its not. So yeah, a human being.Akanthinos
    First of all, there is no evidence that Wittgenstein had sex with his male students. And I certainly doubt it, since he had some very ascetic sexual views, regardless of what his orientation happened to be.
  • Akanthinos
    First of all, there is no evidence that Wittgenstein had sex with his male students. And I certainly doubt it, since he had some very ascetic sexual views, regardless of what his orientation happened to be.Agustino

Factually wrong. He had a long-term relationship with Francis Skinner, one of his students, starting around 1933. He later expressed guilt and regret at how manipulative he had been with Skinner.
  • Agustino
    Factually wrong. He had a long-term relationship with Francis Skinner, one of his students, starting around 1933. He later expressed guilt and regret at how manipulative he had been with Skinner.Akanthinos
    Hmmm I've never come across this before, but seems to be true.
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.