• TheMadFool
    Our world is ruled by numbers. Either arithmetic is directly or indirectly involved. This reality, our world, is impossible without numbers.

My question: Is a world without numbers possible?

Take a simple example: the moment I exist, the number 1 also, per force, comes into existence. Or think of ''a'' universe coming into existence. Automatically the number 1, represented by ''a'' comes into existence.

Now imagine ''no'' universe exists, even that nothing exists. Again, zero, which represents nothing, comes into existence.

It appears that the answer to my question is an emphatic ''NO!''.

What do you think?
  • Efram
    Seems you're confusing numbers and quantities. There's also a lot more nuance to both of those things.

To give you something else to think about: Until now, nowhere in the universe was anyone keeping count of how many rainbow-coloured chocolate sheep there are living on a gas giant made of unicorn farts. Does that mean a quantity (albeit 0) of extraterrestrial rainbow sheep has always existed in some form? Or does it make more sense that we just use the number 0 to describe the absence of something?
  • A Son of Rosenthal
    Maybe having numbers is an essential property of the universe. That is, the universe cannot exist without having numbers.
  • TheMadFool
    Seems you're confusing numbers and quantities. There's also a lot more nuance to both of those things.Efram

Please clarify. To me, quantity = number.

Does that mean a quantity (albeit 0) of extraterrestrial rainbow sheep has always existed in some form? Or does it make more sense that we just use the number 0 to describe the absence of something?Efram

I agree with you. That's what I mean, existence or nonexistene, numbers can always describe the state. This may be a trivial truth, as in it's 3rd grade math - just simple counting. However, our world, if science is true, is best described in mathematical terms. I'm just wondering...
  • TheMadFool
    That is, the universe cannot exist without having numbers.A Son of Rosenthal

I agree.
  • Efram
    Numbers, arithmetic and such are just systems for labeling, counting or otherwise describing things. Quantities can be one of those things.

the universe cannot exist without having numbers.A Son of Rosenthal

What about just one?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.