• A Son of Rosenthal
    Floyd Mayweather is the legendary boxer who has a record of 49 wins and no losses. Conor McGregor is the most famous UFC fighter who is the former feather weight champion and is the current light weight champion. Both men will fight in boxing in August, 2017. Who will win???
  • Baden
    Mayweather. Because he's a boxer and they're boxing. There is no suspense here. It's just a cash cow for McGregor.

It's like putting a champion tennis player up against a champion badminton player in a...tennis match.
  • Agustino
    Mayweather. He wouldn't fight if he didn't know he'd win, simple as that. That's an advantage of arranging your own fights.
  • CasKev
    McGregor will win. Age will be a big factor. Conor will be faster and stronger. He has never been knocked out, and has finished 18 of his 21 professional wins by KO or TKO.

Mayweather hasn't fought professionally in almost two years, and hasn't knocked anyone out since 2011. And don't forget - he has a tiny head!
  • Agustino
    Conor will be faster and stronger. He has never been knocked out, and has finished 18 of his 21 professional wins by KO or TKOCasKev
    They were saying the same about Pacquiao.
  • CasKev
    Pacquiao is an old fart too, who has lost 4 of his last 9 fights.
  • Wosret
    Tomorrow! At this point, I hope that Mcgregor wins. He claims within four rounds. It's pretty ridiculous that everyone (including me) gets so wound up about dudes beating each other up. People also think that the gloves will make a big difference, but they won't. They wear gloves to protect their hands, not their faces. They couldn't hit as hard without wrecking their hands without gloves and taped wrists.

It's all about the gs you deliver to buddy's head, not how hard your hand is. It's about causing their brain to collide with the skull, making them forget often not just the whole fight, but the whole damn day. Get up and keep fighting on instinct while their brains are all scrambled.

The way everyone is expecting Mcgregor to lose makes me want him to win now.
  • CasKev
    It's like putting a champion tennis player up against a champion badminton player in a...tennis match.Baden

More like putting the best triathlete currently in existence up against a well-aged champion distance runner who hasn't competed in quite some time in a distance race.

Go McGregor!
  • Nils Loc
    I want one of them to walk away from the fight and disappoint those who would be disappointed by it.

I'm rooting for whoever is a disappointment or a spontaneous pacifist.
  • Hanover
    It's all corrupt. The most money is made on a McGregor win so there can be a rematch for even more money; ergo, McGregor wins.
  • Janus
    And don't forget - he has a tiny head!CasKev

No, he has a normal head. McGregor has an abnormally massive head. In any case a small head is a smaller target, and says nothing about skull thickness or bone density.
  • Wosret
    "Your little head, and your little core." "Your brittle hands... do your hands ache when it gets cold?" lol.
  • BC
    And don't forget - he has a tiny head!CasKev

Zika wasn't around yet.

Probably a result of maternal drug abuse. But he had a fine childhood.

"When I was about eight or nine, I lived in New Jersey with my mother and we were seven deep in one bedroom and sometimes we didn't have electricity." Mayweather said. "When people see what I have now, they have no idea of where I came from and how I didn't have anything growing up."

It was not uncommon for young Mayweather to come home from school and find used heroin needles in his front yard.[24] His mother was addicted to drugs, and he had an aunt who died from AIDS because of her drug use. "People don't know the hell I've been through," he says.

The most time that his father spent with him was taking him to the gym to train and work on his boxing, according to Mayweather. "I don't remember him ever taking me anywhere or doing anything that a father would do with a son, going to the park or to the movies or to get ice cream," he says. "I always thought that he liked his daughter (Floyd's older sister) better than he liked me because she never got whippings and I got whippings all the time."

Mayweather's father contends that Floyd is not telling the truth about their early relationship. "Even though his daddy did sell drugs, I didn't deprive my son," the elder Mayweather says. "The drugs I sold, he was a part of it. He had plenty of food. He had the best clothes and I gave him money. He didn't want for anything. Anybody in Grand Rapids can tell you that I took care of my kids".[25] Floyd Sr. says he did all of his hustling at night and spent his days with his son, taking him to the gym and training him to be a boxer. "If it wasn't for me he wouldn't be where he is today," he maintains.
    — Wikipedia

McGregor, on the other hand seems not to have had a depraved or deprived life. Didn't get screwed by an Irish priest, didn't have a drunken Irish father who beat him. He

Conor Anthony McGregor[12] was born on 14 July 1988 in Crumlin, Dublin, the son of Tony and Margaret McGregor.[1] He was raised in Crumlin and attended a Gaelscoil and Gaelcholáiste at both primary and at secondary level in Coláiste de hÍde in Tallaght, where he also developed his passion for sport playing association football. In his youth, he played football for Lourdes Celtic Football Club.[13] At the age of 12, McGregor also began boxing at Crumlin Boxing Club.[14][15]

In 2006, McGregor moved with his family to Lucan, Dublin, attending Gaelcholáiste Coláiste Cois Life. Following that, he commenced a plumbing apprenticeship.[16] While in Lucan, he met future UFC fighter Tom Egan and they soon started training mixed martial arts (MMA) together.[17]
    — wikipedia

He was spoused about 9 years ago and just had a son (well, his spouse actually "had" the child). He speaks Irish fluently, which is surely a plus, and probably speaks English quite well too. Haven't heard him talk. He started a plumbing apprenticeship. Don't know if he finished. I need a plumber. Maybe he'll be free after his match.

I'm betting on McGregor.
  • Janus
    Your little head, and your little coreWosret

Ha, McGregor!
  • fishfry
    I'm rooting for whoever is a disappointment or a spontaneous pacifist.Nils Loc

Well you know Mayweather's boxing style is as close to pacifist as a prizefighter can get. His body seems to adjust in real time to the entire space of physically possible near-future configurations of the two bodies in the ring. He is always just slightly impossible to hit. His mind/body system has totally figured out boxing. His whole style is that he can't be hit.

Mayweather's a pacifist! But I don't think I'd say that to his face!!
  • Hanover
    It was painful hearing about McGregor's life, having been filled with one idiotic Gaelic word after another.
  • Agustino
    McGregor seems to have a big mouth, but to me it seems that Floyd appeared to be more confident.
  • Wosret
    Confidence has nothing to do with your ability to do anything other than get people to believe you. The obsession with confidence, and who's more afraid or lip quivery is so fucking silly.

"A casual stroll through an insane asylum demonstrates that faith doesn't prove anything." - Nietzche

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Russell

They even have tested it, and shown that people that think they'll do the best on a test do like the worst, and people that think they'll do the worst do the best. The wisdom traditions are all about checking your ego, which is a defense against your vulnerabilities and mediocrities.

Watching people "read body language" and cold-read out a hundred conclusions per minute is fun and all, but a waste of time when their premises are ridiculously flawed, and with such volume they're bound to be right about something, none of which will ultimately matter, as even what they're right about doesn't mean a damn thing anyway.
  • Agustino
    They even have tested it, and shown that people that think they'll do the best on a test do like the worst, and people that think they'll do the worst do the best. The wisdom traditions are all about checking your ego, which is a defense against your vulnerabilities and mediocrities.Wosret
    With regards to taking tests, exams and the like, I can say this is true based on my experience. I thought I will fail many tests and exams, and I passed them with honors. And there were a few rare exceptions when I felt overconfident, and in one of those cases I even failed.

Confidence has nothing to do with your ability to do anything other than get people to believe you. The obsession with confidence, and who's more afraid or lip quivery is so fucking silly.Wosret
    But I'm not sure about this. Personally, I'm someone who appears outwardly confident (nobody who knows me in real life would say I'm not confident) but I'm very inwardly pessimistic and totally lacking in confidence on the inside. But I fear that if I didn't appear outwardly confident, then my failure rate would be much greater. Appearances do matter - not to me, but to others they do. And I need to influence others, otherwise almost nothing can be done in the world.

Being outwardly confident but inwardly full of doubt gives you the best of both worlds I think. You're not going to underestimate the obstacles, but you'll still get people to believe you.

But there is a sense in which confidence is very important. And it's important in getting you to act - someone who is very confident on the inside, is very quick to act. That can be an advantage. For me, I'm extremely slow to act. Once I act on an idea or thought I'm unrelenting and determined, but starting something new, etc. I'm slow to make my moves. I like to brood over matters over a long time. Despite this, so far I have found that my success rate on what I aim is quite very high, but I presume it is so simply because I take extreme caution compared with many other people I know.
  • Wosret
    My words and actions are not directed towards the manipulation of the the world to the ends of my desires, but the truth. Does this result in success? It doesn't fucking matter to me if it did or didn't.
  • Agustino
    My words and actions are not directed towards the manipulation of the the world to the ends of my desires, but the truth. Does this result in success? It doesn't fucking matter to me if it did or didn't.Wosret
    In terms of philosophy sure, but what about, say, in terms of building a family? Are your words and actions in that case not directed towards the well-being of the family instead of to truth?
  • Wosret

Only someone that doesn't understand that philosophy is lived, and not simply lipped would say "pfft, maybe in philosophy, but what about your real life?".
  • Agustino
    Only someone that doesn't understand that philosophy is lived, and not simply lipped would say "pfft, maybe in philosophy, but what about your real life?".Wosret
    Well I think at least that I understand that philosophy is lived, but the practice of living doesn't deal in truth, it deals in actions. Those actions are only guided (but not wholly determined) by truth.
  • fishfry
    There's a lot of philosophy in this event. It's the philosophy of hype. Of "events." This is not a boxing match in its normal sense. Mayweather retired undefeated, but that was two years ago. He hasn't thrown a punch at a real opponent in a long time.

McGregor isn't even a boxer. He's an MMA fighter. And even he's retired.

So this is a spectacle for the masses, who are going to pay ninety-nine bucks each to watch this exhibition. What does this say about the masses? They are not interested in actual excellence, or competition. Only in the spectacle. Then what of philosophy? Would a philosopher say that the very falseness of this event, its lack of fundamental integrity, renders it an object to be scorned and criticized?

Or would they just take the hedonist line and lay down their ninety-nine bucks like the rest of the rubes just to watch the show?
  • Baden
    So this is a spectacle for the masses, who are going to pay ninety-nine bucks each to watch this exhibition. What does this say about the masses? They are not interested in actual excellence, or competition. Only in the spectacle. Then what of philosophy?fishfry

• fishfry
    @Baden, This is good stuff. I'll look into Debord some more. Thanks for the pointer.
  • Shawn
    I have some links; but, they're under heavy traffic and not working as well. Anyone have a good link to the fight?
  • Shawn
    Stamina won the match for Mayweather.

But, McGregor won on points until the last two rounds.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.