• TheMadFool
    The generally accepted age of physical and menral maturity is 18 years. After that you're an adult and must think and act for yourself i.e. assert your own independence.

18 is also not just a thing for the person who has reached that age. It also has consequences for the parents. Anticipating 18, parents would've slowly begun to phase out their involvement in the life of their teenage child so that by 18 the child would have achieved autonomy. After 18 the average parent would be happy, at least content, to see their child step into adulthood and figure out the world for themselves.

Note: I'm perhaps idealizing the scenario beyond reality but you get my drift (hopefully).

In the context of the above narrative I'd like to discuss God.

It's quite obvious that we don't have strong evidence that He exists. To make it simple I'll just take the existence of atheists, rational and reasonable folk (at least some of them), as evidence that there's well-founded doubt as to God's existence.

Yet, if holy books are credible, in the past there was plenty of evidence of the divine. Moses, Jesus and Muhammad did provide evidence - miracles. It's pertinent to note their divine message consisted of, well, dos and don'ts. Very little reasoning - perhaps they thought it was all obvious.

2000+ years and humanity has accumulated knowledge unimaginable in biblical times. So much so that if a person from today were to travel back in time, he would be considered a God. Interestingly, we don't see any prophets nowadays. Neither do we see miracles. The modern mantra is rationality, rationality, and more rationality.

We've matured intellectually and are able to hold our own against the forces of nature.

So, IF God exists, then it makes sense to think that He'll feel a little pride in seeing us do fairly well and a little sad that he has to now let us go and find our own destiny.

So, IF God exists, then it's time He slowly fades out of our lives, like a good parent.

My questions:

1. Has humanity reached 18 in God's eyes?

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, Is this the reason God doesn't give us evidence for His existence?
  • CasKev
    If there were a God, we would have reached 18 in his eyes a long time ago, probably after the World Wars (the early teens, hormones raging).

This is not the reason God doesn't give us evidence of his existence. Even when kids move away, parents still keep in contact, because they love them so much.

Here's a thought - maybe God died when he stopped communicating with humans, and we've been left to fend for ourselves.
  • TheMadFool
    maybe God died when he stopped communicating with humans, and we've been left to fend for ourselves.CasKev

Yes, that's a possibility and, more to my point, it doesn't definitely rule out the existence of God.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.