• javi2541997
    Back again with Kundera...

I am now currently reading The Farewell Waktz. Already knowing the style, aesthetics, and personality of Kundera, I think it would be quite obvious to make an introduction to this author, so I would rather go to the core of this thread. Please, take a seat, bring with you coffee (or tea), and you are welcome to share your thoughts here.

A) The plot takes place in a spa resort. Women and men go there with the aim of improving their fertility. The spa is managed by doctors and psychologists. The rest of the workers live near the spa in a building called 'Marx.'

B) Not always, but often, a group of old people with red sleeves do things for keeping the 'order' in both the spa and the neighbourhood of the workers. 

C) There are three intellectual neighbours discussing different topics, until the natality pops up. One of them, states: I would not like to be a father, but I am fond of children. I can even imagine this republic (Czech) where the folks decide to pet dogs rather than raising children.
    Another also answers: I think having a child is important. It is like you have faith in people. I would not like to have kids if I don't have belief in people. 
    And, then, the third friend states: But would you like to keep continuing procreation from a Christian perspective or a Marxist view to protect the proletariat accordingly to our era?

After debating, one of them, takes his dog out to the park and the old people from B) paragraph approached him with the aim of taking his dog. The only argument is that a dog pees in the park and could be dangerous around children. 
    Our intellectual hero fought against the old folks, avoided having his dog taken.

When he returned home, he said to his friends: 'Politics stink. In old times, they accused intellectuals who liked to read, and now they proceed against the ones who would rather pet a dog to have children'

Thoughts?

Is it contradictory to work in a spa for improving the fertility of people and then consider that it is better to have a dog than a kid?

I think many topics can be discussed here, but I love that he nailed that (at least in Euorpe) most of the homes have pets and not children.
  • Vera Mont
    Is it contradictory to work in a spa for improving the fertility of people and then consider that it is better to have a dog than a kid?javi2541997

Individual freedom; individual choice. Not wanting children for yourself doesn't mean you disapprove of other people's desire to have them. I like both dogs and children and had both, but chose to adopt, rather than make them from scratch. I didn't think any less of my friends who had babies.
  • javi2541997
    I hardly see individual freedom from the Kundera's characters since they live in a scenario where a group of old people (the latter is clearly a metaphor of political police) trap dogs to put them away from children. Making this, the intellectuals see that there are two groups: the ones who want to raise children, and the rest who want to pet dogs. But for some reasons, the social pressure forces the neighbours to have children instead because that's why they are in a fertility spa in the first place. 

Paradoxically, the workers there are the ones who would rather have a dog in the house. One of the characters is a pregnant nurse, and she even wants an abortion.

I came to this realisation: intellectuals are always apart from the masses and conventions. At the spa, people have children senselessly, but the characters debate whether it is worthy to have children or not. It is a great and clever critique of both religion and politics because these always force people to reproduce themselves...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.