• Shawn
    I just have a short question as to what others more informed about computer science and programming think holds true for hypothetically solving (P v NP)?
  • Shawn
    Sure, I'll try and present my considerations or reason for asking this deep question. Since I lack the skills, I'll just start out by saying that since logic has been progressing in a manner where one does not know whether that logic or a system of logic is universal, then assuming that logical monism is true, then one can think that it should be possible to find a hermetic/tautological language.

But, to really reduce what I have to say or rephrase it as a question, are the implications of Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems somehow restricting us or preventing us from arriving at an answer? Is it that because of his theorems, scientists don't believe that P=NP? I'm only saying this because it is thought that for P=NP to be proven it would have to be a formally complete and consistent complexity class.
  • tim wood
    There are numerous Youtube videos on P v. N-P. Best are from MIT. That's the place to start. A quick test: do you, gentle reader, know what N-P stands for?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.