• Gord
    In my opinion just from observing my own thoughts i do not believe the mind itself is meant to be stable. It seems the minds job is to make sense of the past, observe the present, and anticipate the future. I do not think the mind unoccupied by human interaction can do these things simultaniously, yet when conversing with people a sound mind can perform all of these functions in tandem with the flow of conversation. This is why the mind requires human interaction to achieve this state of peace you are referring to. In my experience meaning can only be found in our relations with other humans. I do not know if you are seeking this outside of humanity.

Think about socrates. In my opinion the wisest philosopher of all time. He believed that the art, if you want to call it that, of philsophy should be confined to conversations between small groups of men. He didn't believe in writing nor preaching. He believed in seeking answers by asking questions, and thus deriving meaning from other peoples perspectives by challenging them and simultaneously relating them to ours. Knowledge begins with understanding and this can only be attained through relationships with other men. I dont know if that helped and i cant help but feel as though my thoughts are incomplete. Let me know what you think
  • TimeLine
    But I doubt a cure may be rooted principally in improved habits of speech.Cabbage Farmer

It is not "speech" that I am concerned about like rumination, but rather making sense of our emotional responses and feelings of anxiety or depression using language, floating it up to the surface of consciousness by giving the feeling an arrow of time that contains the experience into some linear story.

Most, if not all, of our mental suffering is rooted in this lack of understanding, which is why we end up experiencing these emotional responses that explain unconscious knowledge (intuition) that we cannot explain or articulate. We just feel anxious, we feel depressed, or worried but we cannot explain why.

That feeling or emotional response is the 'I' or the actual person and since most of what we are at cognitive level is the language given to us by our environment and society, we have not yet learnt how to talk or communicate from that place within, what we actually want. It is like a clean slate. Hence the biblical concept of 'being born again' or transcendence that many philosophers speak of, to slowly start merging the two - language and the 'I' - to start communicating independently.

This is why art - in particular fictional stories - help paint that picture because it offers the opportunity for someone to think independently and in a self-reflective manner, some comparative analysis or mirroring in a domain outside of reality and thus they are not being force-fed definitions or explanations about why they are feeling that way - something that New Ageism or society and the Kardashians etc stuff offers.

You end up piecing together fragments of these feelings and experiences that sit just below the surface of consciousness and make sense of it consciously and when we start to make sense of it all, that empowers us to make decisions that are genuine or correct and lead to an actual resolution. If, on the other hand, you seek out artificial sources that manage those emotional responses, you are not directed to the source or reasons why you are having them in the first place and are simply prolonging the problem by ignoring it.

That is the point about "peace" - it is really that empowerment that stems of honesty.
  • CasKev
    @Marcus de Brun

Thanks for your kind words. I don't mind sharing with the forum. There may be others who benefit from the discussion.

I am indeed in a better place these days. I've been pretty stable for the past 3 years, consult my doctor regularly, adhere to my prescribed medication, and undergo rTMS (repetitive trans-cranial magnetic stimulation). I also have a spouse, mother, and boss who are very supportive.

I must admit I've been tested over the past several months, with my ex-wife trying to relocate my two girls (11 and almost 10) to a city 6 hours away. However, my mood has held up surprisingly well.

I would appreciate any further wisdom you are able to provide!
  • CasKev
    This is why the mind requires human interaction to achieve this state of peace you are referring to. In my experience meaning can only be found in our relations with other humans.Gord

That's definitely part of the formula I live by now. Maintaining and cultivating relationships definitely contribute to big picture, along with sleep, exercise, and diet.

If, on the other hand, you seek out artificial sources that manage those emotional responses, you are not directed to the source or reasons why you are having them in the first place and are simply prolonging the problem by ignoring it.TimeLine

Yes, it is all too easy to slip into negative coping mechanisms, which only serve to distract and prolong or add to suffering.
  • Maw
    I know this post is three months old, but I've never understood how a Christian could achieve a stable peace of mind when nearly any innocuous pleasure could be a one-way ticket to eternal damnation. Perhaps that's just my Jewish neurosis talking, but if I was truly believed in Christianity I would be profoundly anxious all the time.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet