• WISDOMfromPO-MO
    I remember in secondary school, 7th grade through graduating from high school, the way it felt as nearly everybody--students, parents, teachers, administrators--uncritically presented and accepted "science" as authoritative, supremely important, and indispensable. There was nothing in people's attitudes or the material presented about any doubts, limitations, criticisms, shortcomings, etc. with respect to science. There was never any hint of any such skepticism in my two years of college either. I had to actively on my own in recent years search for and find thinking that is critical of science and its place in history, society, etc. Thomas Kuhn. Postmodern theorists. Critics of scientism. Etc.

I always took science, like everything else, as what people say and think. The way that other people presented it and took it as gospel made me roll my eyes.

And my entire life I have lived and studied in a state that is supposedly highly sympathetic with the irrational and non-scientific (Christian fundamentalism, creation science, etc.). Go figure.

Maybe it is true. Maybe the United States of America is a bunch of anti-intellectual dittoheads churned out by mediocre schools. But my experience tells me that science in the U.S. is a cause, not a victim, of this.

Here is the real irony: nothing in the intellectual landscape is maligned and scapegoated more than "postmodernism" (predictably, "postmodernists" and "postmodernism" were even blamed for Donald Trump's victory last November). Yet, while we lament the population's individual and collective lack of critical thinking skills it is postmodern theorists who provide most of an otherwise non-existent body of criticism of a tradition and institution, science, that everybody else seems to blindly submit to.
  • Jake Tarragon
    Science is all there is when one needs to be rational. There is nothing else in that situation, by definition.

If any facet of "postmodernism" can present a rational argument then it is, in effect, being scientific. However it is one thing to sound scientific - another to be scientific. For example, Freud sounded scientific, but most thinking people today would categorize his output as metaphysics. Another example is Alan Sokal's highly technical sounding hoax article for a publication (which got accepted).
  • Wayfarer
    You would do well to study philosophy of science, particularly Michael Polanyi, Thomas Kuhn, and Paul Feyerabend. It's actually quite a difficult subject to get a grip on so is one of those subjects better studied through a course if at all possible. I did several undergraduate units on it and although I didn't understand its significance at the time, it was in incredibly helpful and useful discipline in my opinion.

As regards postmodernism - there really is no such thing. It's not a school of thought or philosophy as such. There is a lot of crap spoken by it and about it, but there are also some very valuable insights to be gleaned from various post-modernist perspectives. An older anthology but useful one is http://a.co/gQUipBf
  • Janus

In what way do you think people "submit" to science: in other words, what is the nature of that submission? What would be an alternative to the so-called scientific method, when it comes to understanding the empirical world as it is observed?
  • Wayfarer
    I think there is a sense in which science is 'an arbiter of truth' for the secular world. As Steve Pinker says in his paean to science, Science is not the Enemy of the Humanities:

the worldview that guides the moral and spiritual values of an educated person today is the worldview given to us by science. Though the scientific facts do not by themselves dictate values, they certainly hem in the possibilities. By stripping ecclesiastical authority of its credibility on factual matters, they cast doubt on its claims to certitude in matters of morality.

Many folks here will uncritically defer to many elements of the scientific worldview even regarding matters in which science has no demonstrable application. As Pinker illustrates, this often amounts to an implicit 'science rules' attitude, whereby science is held up as the ultimate authority for the kinds of questions that are considered worth asking, which are - surprise! - just, and only, the kinds of questions which scientific method might provide answers for.
  • Janus

I'm not convinced that the turn away from traditional religion has all that much to do with science. I think it is driven more by prosperity and the natural desire people have to do what they feel like, without being constrained by traditional mores. In other words, people reject organized religion when they feel they can get out from under what they see as its oppression of their natural desires.

Science gives us technology, which gives (some of) us prosperity and the freedom and means to pursue our creative or sports interests, and even just sheer entertainment for entertainment's sake. Once people no longer feel compelled to honor traditional beliefs about, for example, reward and punishment in an afterlife, they have little reason to adopt any religious practice unless they are 'truthseekers'; driven by their psychological make-up or a philosophical bent to seek understanding of, and answers to, the existential dilemmas, or at least anxieties, that all people are faced with.

Another salient factor is that all the main world religions have become quite well known worldwide, and people reject religion in general because they know they all tell very different stories and they think they can't all be right, and 'why should I believe that any particular religion is the true one?'. I think most people simply are not motivated to develop much interest in religion, and consequently have little understanding of it.

The reason I asked how the OP thinks that people "submit" to science is that I don't believe the average person has much interest in, or understanding of, science, either; so I am struggling to make sense of the idea that they are somehow mysteriously in submission to it.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    I think that where the biggest problem lies is in the misuse of the word "science". Science has been so successful, it has a reputation of being nearly infallible. So today the word "science" is often attached to many things which aren't science, like speculative theory, and statistical analysis, such that just thinking of certain reports as "science" inclines one to believe that they must be true. This is the deceptive power of the misuse of words, the power of suggestion.

The reason I asked how the OP thinks that people "submit" to science is that I don't believe the average person has much interest in, or understanding of, science; so I am struggling to make sense of the idea that they are somehow mysteriously in submission to it.John

It's quite clear to me. As I've said, science has been very successful, and people know this. Also, as you say, the average person has little understanding of science", except that it has been very successful in giving us truth. So when the word "science" is used to refer to some report, then instead of questioning "is this really science" (they do not have the capacity to do this, not knowing what "science" is), they fall under the power of suggestion, believing that if it is science, it must be true.
  • Janus

Not for climate change, though.
  • Wayfarer
    I agree that the idea of 'submitting' to science is rather odd. It seems like the kind of thing a person from a religious background might say, having fallen away from their faith, but retaining a somewhat similar attitude in respect of what they take 'science' to mean.

But, philosophically, the problem is considerably more subtle than 'falling away from traditional religion'. The stance of scientific realism is also a philosophical attitude, but it's a philosophical attitude that is usually un-self-aware, because it takes 'what science knows to be real' in a way that science itself doesn't actually warrant. So, typically, the 'scientific sceptic' will have predictable normative beliefs regarding a number of philosophical questions, even if there isn't a real warrant for such beliefs in science itself. Many of the pop science intellectuals - De Grasse Tyson, Steve Pinker, Lawrence Krauss, Jerry Coyne - fall into that category.
  • Metaphysician Undercover

Climate change is a very good example of the misuse of the word "science". The field consists of a vast body of material built upon unscientific premises, but it is referred to as science.
  • Terrapin Station
    It sounds like you had some poor teachers, unfortunately.

I was taught from the beginning--well, or at least since Jr. High School, that (a) empirical claims are not provable, and (b) a hallmark of science is that all claims must be open to revision in the face of new empirical evidence or new interpretations of old empirical evidence. And we were taught science partially from a historical perspective that emphasized controversies, different views, etc. and the way that experimentation led to some views being discarded, where fallibilism was stressed.

And this was at public schools in the middle of ghettos (pro-integration busing) in South Florida.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    You would do well to study philosophy of science, particularly Michael Polanyi, Thomas Kuhn, and Paul Feyerabend. It's actually quite a difficult subject to get a grip on so is one of those subjects better studied through a course if at all possible. I did several undergraduate units on it and although I didn't understand its significance at the time, it was in incredibly helpful and useful discipline in my opinion...Wayfarer

I already said that I have studied all of that on my own. Did you not read my post?

As regards postmodernism - there really is no such thing. It's not a school of thought or philosophy as such. There is a lot of crap spoken by it and about it, but there are also some very valuable insights to be gleaned from various post-modernist perspectives. An older anthology but useful one is http://a.co/gQUipBfWayfarer

Again, I said that I have already studied postmodern theory on my own. I don't need a link.

Postmodern theorists are the only source that I know of that in no way uncritically accept anything about science. Everything about science--its role in repressing people; the possibility that it could just be another one of many alternative metanarratives; its role in destroying the environment; etc.--is fair game in postmodern theory.

But there are other perspectives. Studying scientism reveals a lot about the true nature of science compared to the popular narrative about science that 99.9% of people seem to blindly submit to.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    In what way do you think people "submit" to science: in other words, what is the nature of that submission? What would be an alternative to the so-called scientific method, when it comes to understanding the empirical world as it is observed?John

I remember sitting in science and math classes quietly skeptical of what was being presented to me and accepted by everybody else involved as airtight thinking. If it was airtight, why was I seeing red flags?

It is not just science and math. All material presented in formal education is unquestioningly taken as authoritative and supreme. "This is what other people have thought. This is what other people have concluded. But it is up to you--it is your responsibility--to decide for yourself what is true/real" is never part of the process, especially with respect to "science". Science is king!
  • Wayfarer
    already said that I have studied all of that on my own. Did you not read my post?WISDOMfromPO-MO

Sorry, missed that point.
  • Terrapin Station
    All material presented in formal education is unquestioningly taken as authoritative and supreme. "This is what other people have thought. This is what other people have concluded. But it is up to you--it is your responsibility--to decide for yourself what is true/real" is never part of the process, especially with respect to "science". Science is king!WISDOMfromPO-MO

What sort of school did you go to? Public/private? In what country?
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    It sounds like you had some poor teachers, unfortunately.

I was taught from the beginning--well, or at least since Jr. High School, that (a) empirical claims are not provable, and (b) a hallmark of science is that all claims must be open to revision in the face of new empirical evidence or new interpretations of old empirical evidence. And we were taught science partially from a historical perspective that emphasized controversies, different views, etc. and the way that experimentation led to some views being discarded, where fallibilism was stressed.

And this was at public schools in the middle of ghettos (pro-integration busing) in South Florida
    Terrapin Station

Kudos to those teachers.
  • Jake Tarragon
    What sort of school did you go to? Public/private? In what country?Terrapin Station

I doubt it matters. Formal education is much of a muchness.
  • Terrapin Station

Well, but did you see the description of my schooling?
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    What sort of school did you go to? Public/private? In what country?Terrapin Station

Kindergarten at a church notwithstanding, I attended public schools in the suburbs in the U.S.

I think that the flaw at the heart of any controversy over the curriculum in formal education is the premise that students will, and should, unquestioningly accept whatever their instructors present. If it was made clear to everybody involved--students, parents, teachers and administrators--that teachers are simply presenting ideas, concepts, techniques, etc. and that it is the student's responsibility to decide what to do with them (believe them to represent reality; believe them to not represent reality; apply them to real-world problems etc.) then there wouldn't be any controversy. Evolution, creation science, etc. are only problematic if students do not think for themselves and instead believe everything they hear from teachers.
  • Janus

It seems to me that scientific realism is just an extention of so-called naive realism, which seems to be the default position that people hold before they start messing with any philosophical skepticism, and that would include most religious people. Seemingly many scientists are atheists, just as increasingly many people are these days, largely, I would say, because they can safely profess atheism today.

Also, the relationship between science and religious belief is probably not as clearcut as might be imagined, for example: https://phys.org/news/2015-12-worldwide-survey-religion-science-scientists.html
  • Janus
    Climate change is a very good example of the misuse of the word "science". The field consists of a vast body of material built upon unscientific premises, but it is referred to as science.Metaphysician Undercover

What "vast body of material" are you referring to here?
  • Janus

Those who haven't studied particular sciences sufficiently (and I would say that takes a great deal of study today due to the vast expansion of scientific fields) are not in a suitable position to judge as to what is true or not true in those fields. I would say that most scientists acknowledge that what is taken to be scientific knowledge today may be overturned in the future. If some, or even many, teachers hold simplistic views concerning the "truth" of science, that is unfortunate, but not surprising given the seemingly very widespread tendency of human beings to hold, not nuanced, but simplistic, views.
  • Janus

Yes, I seem to be disagreeing with you. Is that a problem? Do you want me to pretend to agree when I really don't? You engaged me in conversation here, disagreeing with what I had said, remember?
  • Noble Dust
    Those who haven't studied particular sciences sufficiently (and I would say that takes a great deal of study today due to the vast expansion of scientific fields) are not in a suitable position to judge as to what is true or not true in those fields.John

The problem here is the sheer quantity of ever-splintering disciplines, not only within science, but within any aspect of knowledge. The more and more quickly new disciplines branch off, the more difficult it is for anyone (philosopher or whoever) to gather in enough knowledge to have a broad view of how different disciplines affect one another and interact with each other. Attempts like the OP to comment on cross-disciplinary problems are always criticized precisely for not having enough knowledge or expertise in a specific field (science or whatever), but if this is the criticism, then the logical result of the criticism would seem to be that any knowledge spread across two or more disciplines is virtually impossible. I do think this is a difficult task, but lack of expertise doesn't equal an inability to synthesize a broad view. I might not be an expert physicist, but it's entirely possible for me to research something in physics, and then relate what I know to another discipline. The criticism of lack of expertise doesn't lead to the conclusion that synthesis of aspects of separate disciplines isn't possible.
  • T Clark
    Science is all there is when one needs to be rational. There is nothing else in that situation, by definition.Jake Tarragon

That's a bold and unsupported statement.
  • T Clark
    So today the word "science" is often attached to many things which aren't science, like speculative theory, and statistical analysis, such that just thinking of certain reports as "science" inclines one to believe that they must be true.Metaphysician Undercover

Most science, from quantum mechanics, to thermodynamics, meteorology, paleontology, chemistry, and pretty much everything else is based on an understanding of probability and statistics. We can learn a lot looking at the behavior of individual particles or stars, but when we want to really understand how the world works and how it effects us, we need to understand the mass behavior of vast numbers of individual pieces. Statistics is an important part of that.

I assume your contempt for statistics is related to your belief that today's scientific consensus on global warming is wrong.
  • deletedmemberwy
    I remember in secondary school, 7th grade through graduating from high school, the way it felt as nearly everybody--students, parents, teachers, administrators--uncritically presented and accepted "science" as authoritative, supremely important, and indispensable. There was nothing in people's attitudes or the material presented about any doubts, limitations, criticisms, shortcomings, etc. with respect to science. There was never any hint of any such skepticism in my two years of college either. I had to actively on my own in recent years search for and find thinking that is critical of science and its place in history, society, etc. Thomas Kuhn. Postmodern theorists. Critics of scientism. Etc.

I always took science, like everything else, as what people say and think. The way that other people presented it and took it as gospel made me roll my eyes.

And my entire life I have lived and studied in a state that is supposedly highly sympathetic with the irrational and non-scientific (Christian fundamentalism, creation science, etc.). Go figure.

Maybe it is true. Maybe the United States of America is a bunch of anti-intellectual dittoheads churned out by mediocre schools. But my experience tells me that science in the U.S. is a cause, not a victim, of this.

Here is the real irony: nothing in the intellectual landscape is maligned and scapegoated more than "postmodernism" (predictably, "postmodernists" and "postmodernism" were even blamed for Donald Trump's victory last November). Yet, while we lament the population's individual and collective lack of critical thinking skills it is postmodern theorists who provide most of an otherwise non-existent body of criticism of a tradition and institution, science, that everybody else seems to blindly submit to.
    WISDOMfromPO-MO

I agree for the most part with your statement. Far too many blindly follow "science" like a religion, and as if "mother nature" is their god and the "scientists" are her prophets. I think a correct view of science would be to see it as human observation, fallible and often wrong. I believe following "science" to such an extent as to proclaim scientists as the supreme authority on the matter to be inane and stupid. They are still human and can not see everything. One of the most humorous examples I can think of at the moment is the preaching of "evolutionary leftovers" such as the tailbone, which is quickly disproved as the tailbone functions as a critical anchoring point for organs and tendons.

I think that where the biggest problem lies is in the misuse of the word "science". Science has been so successful, it has a reputation of being nearly infallible. So today the word "science" is often attached to many things which aren't science, like speculative theory, and statistical analysis, such that just thinking of certain reports as "science" inclines one to believe that they must be true. This is the deceptive power of the misuse of words, the power of suggestion.Metaphysician Undercover

Exactly!

I remember sitting in science and math classes quietly skeptical of what was being presented to me and accepted by everybody else involved as airtight thinking. If it was airtight, why was I seeing red flags?

It is not just science and math. All material presented in formal education is unquestioningly taken as authoritative and supreme. "This is what other people have thought. This is what other people have concluded. But it is up to you--it is your responsibility--to decide for yourself what is true/real" is never part of the process, especially with respect to "science". Science is king!
    WISDOMfromPO-MO

I was the same when in school, I would ask many questions and many times no real answer was given in response. I am still of the firm belief that nothing in any scientific field should be taken as a definite solution, as in 6 months, that information one took as fact could be proven false.
  • T Clark
    You would do well to study philosophy of science, particularly Michael Polanyi, Thomas Kuhn, and Paul Feyerabend. It's actually quite a difficult subject to get a grip on so is one of those subjects better studied through a course if at all possible.Wayfarer

You don't need formal training to understand how we come to have knowledge of our world, in scientific or non-scientific ways. If you want to talk about how science works and should work, you just need a good understanding basic scientific principles and experience making decisions based on data.

Those who haven't studied particular sciences sufficiently (and I would say that takes a great deal of study today due to the vast expansion of scientific fields) are not in a suitable position to judge as to what is true or not true in those fields.John

You don't need to understand the intricacies of any particular scientific discipline to have a good idea of the state of knowledge and consensus of opinions among those doing the work. Again, you need a good basic understanding of scientific principles. You also need curiosity and interest.
  • Janus
    You don't need to understand the intricacies of any particular scientific discipline to have a good idea of the state of knowledge and consensus of opinions among those doing the work. Again, you need a good basic understanding of scientific principles. You also need curiosity and interest.T Clark

Yes, but having "a good idea of the state of knowledge and consensus of opinion" in a discipline is not the same as having an expert opinion within that discipline. Obviously, some disciplines are more complex and demanding than others, and I did say "studied particular sciences sufficiently".

In any case, my main point of contention is with the idea that science and religion are at loggerheads.
  • T Clark
    In any case, my main point of contention is with the idea that science and religion are at loggerheads.John

I don't think there needs to be any conflict between science and religion. I do think that the idea that science is somehow inaccessible adds to the belief that there is a conflict.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment