• Wayfarer
    Chinese quantum satellite Micius breaks record for distribution distance of quantum entangled photons

Chinese scientists have established a quantum link between particles 1200 kilometres apart, smashing the previous world record of 143 kilometres.

The satellite-to-ground-station experiment is a giant leap towards establishing a worldwide quantum communication network.
    Distribution of entangled particles will provide a quantum key distribution mechanism that allows for provably secure communications, beyond which is possible now.

Last August the Chinese Academy of Sciences put an experimental satellite into orbit named Micius after a 5th-century BC philosopher.

On board that satellite is a quantum-enabled transmitter that can split photons – a single packet of light – into two entangled photons.

In quantum mechanics, when particles such as photons are entangled, one particle instantaneously reacts to an interaction with its pair, theoretically over an infinite distance.

Einstein dismissively called this "spooky action at a distance".

A little-acknowledged fact is the role of the hippies that saved physics. It was one of this team - Berkeley's Fundamental Fysiks Group - that pioneered the idea of using 'spooky action at a distance' for secure communications.

JOHNSON-popup.jpg
    Clockwise from left: Jack Sarfatti, Saul-Paul Sirag, Nick Herbert and Fred Alan Wolf.

That book is a ripping read, by the way.
  • TimeLine
    This is dangerously great (though it can equip China with a rather powerful tool). I have long been intrigued that such extreme acceleration within large distances of empty space is possible, communicating to one another by some invisible connection.

It is rather romantic (L)
  • Agustino
    All I can say is, so what? When I read the newspaper these days, I have the same reaction to a lot of the stories. Why should I give a damn?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.