SCOTUS

12Next
  • Fooloso4
    A lot of people think the court's on Trump's side and not being judicially impartial. And opinions about that correlate with people's opinions on Trump.fishfry

I do think that there are members of the court who have an agenda. It is not that they are on Trump's side but that they see Trump as useful to their side. An expedient for attaining their conservative goals.
  • fishfry
    I do think that there are members of the court who have an agenda. It is not that they are on Trump's side but that they see Trump as useful to their side. An expedient for attaining their conservative goals.Fooloso4

Maybe. Dobbs certainly. But that's been a disaster for the GOP. It cost them the 2022 red wave and many local and special elections. It put abortion back on the table as a political issue. Centrist voters that could trend GOP on the economy, crime, and immigration, now have to vote Dem for abortion.

The percentage of the public for whom abortion is their top issue, represents a certain percent of the vote lost to the GOP and won by the Dems in every election at every level of politics forever, till Congress hashes out a law everyone can live with. And good luck with that.

In the long run, the conservative justices have done more harm to the conservative cause than if they'd left Roe in place. The Dems are going to win a lot of races they'd otherwise have lost, as long as abortion is on the ballot. And overturning Roe put abortion back on every ballot.

If this is part of some secret plan by the conservative Supes, I wonder what it is.
  • Fooloso4
    If this is part of some secret plan by the conservative Supes, I wonder what it is.fishfry

I do not think it is some secret plan. They are anti-regulation, anti-LGBT rights, pro-discrimination on the basis of religious freedom, and pro-gun.
  • fishfry
    I do not think it is some secret plan. They are anti-regulation, anti-LGBT rights, pro-discrimination on the basis of religious freedom, and pro-gun.Fooloso4

But then why did they saddle the GOPs with a five to ten point deficit in every election at every level everywhere in the country for years, by overturning Roe? Now abortion's always on the ballot. That hurts every cause you listed. That's my point. Dobbs was profoundly counterproductive for the right.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.