• VagabondSpectre
    This is a very interesting time for Mr. Rodman to elect to visit North Korea given the heightened tensions relating to ballistic and cruise missile tests (He has visited several times between 2013-2015).

What is he hoping to achieve?

North Korea recently described Trump as "silly and ignorant" over the paris-climate debacle, and I'm pretty sure Mr. Rodman would agree, but other than that could he have any actual political diplomacy in mind? Is North Korea or Kim Jr. any more ready to change than they were a few years ago?

Does Mr. Rodman just really like North Korea or the way they treat him when he visits?

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

On the same day that Mr Rodman arrived in North Korea, they decided to release one of their four American prisoners... IN A COMA!!!!!!!!!!

"Otto Warmbier" was serving a 15 year sentence for stealing a propaganda banner from his hotel in Pyongyang while there for tourism (HOW EXOTIC!). In all likelihood the treatment that Warmbier received while incarcerated one of NK's notorious labor camps is what lead to his comatose state. Being forced to do manual labor through a language barrier probably lead to dissatisfaction and abuse on the part of his captors. I might be wrong but it certainly stands to reason...

Mr. Rodman claimed that he does actually hope some sort of political boons could come out of what he referred to as "hoops diplomacy". In the past Rodman has made controversial statements about someone previously imprisoned by North Korea (which he apologized for) which are credited with raising awareness and spurring his release...
  • TheMadFool
    Poor Kim, having to deal with the paradox of hating America but not Americans.
  • VagabondSpectre
    Heh, so true. That and his addiction to swizz cheese (which literally gave him gout).

It's the timing that really strikes me as odd though. Pundits were bandying that imminent war with North Korea could be possible last week, so what could entice Rodman to choose now of all times to head over for another visit?
  • TheMadFool
    It's the timing that really strikes me as odd though. Pundits were bandying that imminent war with North Korea could be possible last week, so what could entice Rodman to choose now of all times to head over for another visit?VagabondSpectre

Freedom, as enshrined in the US constitution, can make you do odd things.

Seriously, I don't know. Perhaps it's not that odd as you make it out to be. Rodman isn't a government official who, well, carries the burden of being in line with US policies and therefore, would be guilty of oddity by visiting NK.

I think, quite to the contrary, considering America is the champion of the free world and all that, it should encourage such visits to reassure the NK people that America doesn't have any bad intentions and their first resort would always be diplomacy.
  • VagabondSpectre
    I think, quite to the contrary, considering America is the champion of the free world and all that, it should encourage such visits to reassure the NK people that America doesn't have any bad intentions and their first resort would always be diplomacy.TheMadFool

From what I've read and heard through documentaries Kim Jong Un loves basketball, and Rodman's visits are specifically loved by him. Maybe he gets paid and that's why he's going, but I have to wonder whether or not he could have any real diplomatic effect on relations (specifically by interacting with Kim)...

I guess in truth It's a lot to hope for from such a minor visit, but given the timing (the need) and the unpredictability of dictators, impacting deescalation might be a sinkable shot.
  • VagabondSpectre
    UPDATE:

On the same day that Mr Rodman arrived in North Korea, they decided to release one of their four American prisoners... IN A COMA!!!!!!!!!!

"Otto Warmbier" was serving a 15 year sentence for stealing a propaganda banner from his hotel in Pyongyang while there for tourism (HOW EXOTIC!). In all likelihood the treatment that Warmbier received while incarcerated one of NK's notorious labor camps is what lead to his comatose state. Being forced to do manual labor through a language barrier probably lead to dissatisfaction and abuse on the part of his captors. I might be wrong but it certainly stands to reason...

Mr. Rodman claimed that he does actually hope some sort of political boons could come out of what he referred to as "hoops diplomacy". In the past Rodman has made controversial statements about someone previously imprisoned by North Korea (which he apologized for) which are credited with raising awareness and spurring his release...
  • Cavacava

He gave Kim Tump's "Art of the Deal"

Here
  • Agustino
    What kind of a guy colors his finger nails? :-}
  • VagabondSpectre
    When reality becomes stranger than fiction...

I would-a figured Rodman for an anti-trumpeter, but I guess he considers himself Trump's friend.

Curioser and curioser...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.