• Srap Tasmaner
    I have yet to watch any video, or read a complete transcript, but I keep reading news reports that have snippets, and I have to say I have loved "listening" to Comey. He talks just like a philosopher! The way he takes into account the words that were said, the way they were said, the circumstances, how others behaved, all that stuff, and explains how each of these gave him this or that impression, and led to this or that inference, etc. It's all great stuff. (Well, it's my sort of stuff, not everybody's.)

I think his awareness of all the different factors and carefulness with language reflects a life in law and law enforcement practiced at a high level. Philosophers rarely look at specimens of legal reasoning--J. L. Austin being the notable exception that leaps to mind--but it's where the rubber meets the road for a lot of the speculation philosophers do. (Austin reached for legal decisions when thinking about responsibility.)

It's easy to imagine some of this as a discussion among linguists and philosophers: suppose someone said to you, "I hope you can let this go," how would you interpret that? Suppose they were your boss, suppose they were your boss and asked everyone else to leave the room first, suppose your immediate superior lingered awkwardly until he was explicitly dismissed. It's great fun, and Comey seems to do this stuff really well.
  • Shawn
    Yet it can confidently said that he was in the right place at the right time, for the American public.
  • Wayfarer
    I think his awareness of all the different factors and carefulness with language reflects a life in law and law enforcement practiced at a high level.Srap Tasmaner

For which he is now being defamed by the allt right and the person who occupies the office of the President. The only way to defuse the forensic accuracy of his testimony is to overwhelm it with lies and distortions, to 'shape the narrative' of Comey as a disgruntled employee with an ax to grind.
  • Sivad
    So there's nothing on Trump, he's clean. So then what's the rumpus?
  • Srap Tasmaner
    I'm glad you posted this. Is there a particular point you'd like to make about this exchange?
  • Agustino
    So then what's the rumpus?Sivad
    I don't know, you tell me.

Is there a particular point you'd like to make about this exchange?Srap Tasmaner
    No.
  • andrewk
    I thought both men came out of the exchange with dignity and credibility. None of that dignity or credibility finds its way to Trump though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.