• AmadeusD
    "something of substance".LuckyR

Yes, i think that's probably true for most :)
  • AmadeusD
    Jekyll and St Simon's were the better examples i could think of. Big, oak-lined properties with Master homes, somewhat preserved.

Apparently, around fourteen were established on St Simons. I can only recall three different memories of different plantations on St Simons, though. As to Jekyll, i may be recalling PLantation Oak and then conflating.
  • AmadeusD
    That you might mean something different when you say it will likely be realized with your Aussie accent, but, I assure you, the harder the Southern twang used when it is said, the less likely you're going to convince someone your questions about the presence of black people was just an innocuous curiosity.Hanover

Fair enough. I still see that as utterly ridiculous - impugning someone's motives based on their accent or locale. Wild.

I have a british accent, ftr :)
  • Hanover
    St. Simons is a resort island these days. It's very built up. Jekyll much less so because of regulations preserving it. If you're exploring the coast one day, check out Cumberland Island. It's a national park, completely preserved, with the ruins of old estates and wild horses running free.

Fair enough. I still see that as utterly ridiculous - impugning someone's motives based on their accent or locale. Wild.AmadeusD

Well not like that. What I was indicating is that if someone is violating social norms and it's clear they are not familiar with them due to their being from somewhere else, which is evident from their accent, they might get a pass. It's like if I ate with the wrong utensils at dinner and then you heard my American accent, you'd understand, as opposed to if I should have known better.

So, if you started in with some awkward race based questions, I might give you a pass, just realizing it was a cultural difference. But if you were a local, I would assume you were familiar with local customs and you meant to be violating them. I wasn't suggesting that the Southern twang made them a racist. I was suggesting that if they are saying things that are understood locally as racist, and they are locals, then they probably are racist.
  • AmadeusD
    I was suggesting that if they are saying things that are understood locally as racist, and they are locals, then they probably are racist.Hanover

Oh, no, I understood what you were getting at. I think it's an... objectionable... conclusion. But there we go.

Thank you very much for the tip on Cumberland!
  • Relativist
    I am openly not straight and being insulted for it doesn’t bother me because I’m not ashamed.AmadeusD
    I'm 70 years old, and retired. During my working career, I worked for a time with a guy who would fondly reminesce about his high school days, when he and his buddies would "beat up qu__rs for fun". He also referred to certain co-workers this way- always in private.

Words represent concepts. His concept of "qu__rs" was not the same concept gays have. His concept entailed perversion, disgust, and inferiority- so that it was right to treat them this way. I was disgusted by this man, and can't help but associating the Q word with this attitude. When a gay person uses the word, they aren't implying the same concept.

Similarly, when African-Americans speak the N word to each other, they do not have the same concept behind it as do white supremicists.
  • LuckyR

Well written. This is an example of a topic that can be difficult to parse the details and nuances of verbally, yet is completely obvious when encountered in Real Life.
  • AmadeusD
    Cool story? I don't mean to be dismissive, but this seems to just be an observation. I am neither of the things outlined, so doesn't seem to... relate. Your discussion of 'queer' isn't meaningful to me. I dont' care how homophobes use the word. I didn't mention the word.

I have many similar outlines of different conceptions of words that get used by various groups. Unsure what the point here was.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.