• Relativist
    If there is no gap between two instants of time then they lay on the same point. Is this correct or not?MoK
    Not correct. There is no gap on the real number line. That's what it means to be continuous.
  • AmadeusD
    If there is no gap between two instants of time then they lay on the same point. Is this correct or not?MoK

Another version of why this is incorrect:

A pencil exists at the same instance in time, all along it's length. But that's a continuum, not a set of discreet points appearing at a particular point in time.
  • Relativist
    That you could having 'something' between two points of 'time'.AmadeusD
    It seems to suggest there's a duration of time between the discrete instants of time, which seems self-contradictory.
  • AmadeusD
    Well, yes. It's not my position, to be clear.
    But if you're invoking something which does not have duration or, at least, has a different sort of duration (think multi-dimensionality, i guess) then the two 'sets' could, in theory, proceed without interacting (which would cause one, interrupted duration as I see it).
  • MoK
    Not correct.Relativist
    It is correct given the definition of gap. The events lay on the same point if there is no gap between them.

There is no gap on the real number line.Relativist
    If that was true then Aleph_1 was the largest cardinal number.

What is your definition of change?
  • MoK
    Another version of why this is incorrect:

A pencil exists at the same instance in time, all along it's length. But that's a continuum, not a set of discreet points appearing at a particular point in time.
    AmadeusD
    I don't understand what you are trying to say.
  • Relativist
    There is no gap on the real number line.
    — Relativist
    If that was true then Aleph_1 was the largest cardinal number.
    MoK

If you think there are gaps (discontinuities) in the real numbers, then you don't understand real numbers.

If you think transfinite numbers (which are not real numbers) somehow implies there are discontinuities in the real numbers, then you don't understand transfinite numbers.

c = "the cardinality of the continuum" = the cardinality of the real numbers. Consider what "continuum" means.
  • Lionino
    I would appreciate if my thread didn't turn into a discussion around someone else's nonsensical pet theories.
  • AmadeusD
    :

I would appreciate if my thread didn't turn into a discussion around someone else's nonsensical pet theories.Lionino

That's fair.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.