• AmadeusD
    After a couple of discussions in which people's ancestry or OG language was an interesting element, i wondered where you all are from?

I'm Irish, living in New Zealand.
  • Sir2u
    I was born in England, lived in Canada, USA, Belize and have lived in Honduras since '75.
  • Vera Mont
    Born in Hungary, lived briefly in Ireland and the US, mostly in Canada.
  • universeness
    I am Scottish, born and living in Scotland.
  • javi2541997
    I am Spanish, born and living in Madrid.
  • 180 Proof
    Born, raised & educated in NYC, I currently live in the Portland, Oregon metro area, USA.

(Formerly of Atlanta, Georgia and Chandler, Arizona and St. Paul, Minnesota in the last thirty years. If I ever relocate again, I hope I land somewhere in British Columbia, Canada.)
  • jgill
    Born in Alabama. Naturalized Coloradan. High Prairie.
  • Tom Storm
    Melbourne, Australia.
  • Jack Cummins

I grew up in Bedford but have spent most of my adult life in London. Until the beginning of this year I was in South London, but I am currently in North London/Middlesex.

I am half Irish, a quarter English and a quarter French, although I only speak basic school level French. I have never been to France or Ireland and only travelled outside of the UK once, as a child.
  • 180 Proof
    [deleted]
  • Jamal
    Born: London, England
    Raised: The shires of Dumfries and Ayr, Scotland
    Have lived in: Scotland, England, France, Spain, and now Russia but not for much longer!

Those are the facts. Identity is somewhat independent of them.
  • RobTAS
    Born: Melbourne, Australia.
    Raised: in a small inland town in the state of Victoria
    Have lived in: Sydney, Paris, Chiang Mai (Thailand)
    Currently living: Hobart, Tasmania
  • Sir2u
    Currently living: Hobart, TasmaniaRobTAS

Have you met the devil yet? :wink:
  • Paine
    Houston, Texas, USA
  • Vera Mont

What, like lunch at the club every Tuesday?
  • javi2541997
    Have you met the devil yet?Sir2u

Regularly.RobTAS

What, like lunch at the club every Tuesday?Vera Mont

You folks made me laugh! :lol:

By the way, Tasmania seems to be an interesting place to visit. Both New Zealand and Australia, but sadly, they are very far away from my home, and I don't feel motivated enough to stay in an airplane for hours.
  • Jamal

I had to go on Google Maps when I saw Hobart mentioned here, since I knew nothing about it. It strikes me as a secret paradise, but that's partly a consequence of knowing almost nothing about Tasmania and thinking about it only once a year.

Weatherwise, not super warm in summer but warmer than Scotland (my benchmark), and not very cold in winter.
  • Mikie

Andover, Massachusetts. Mostly Italian descent, with some Irish. Lived mostly in New Hampshire as an adult.
  • RobTAS
    Yes, it's sort of out of the way down here. I like that. And I couldn't cope with the heat on the mainland any more. It was 45 degrees C in parts of the mainland yesterday. That would kill this old bloke. It can get to 40 in Tassie, too, but it's rare. 25C is fine for me.

The Devil is, alas, no more. The last one died in the Hobart zoo in the 1930s. There are attempts underway to resurrect it from DNA.
  • Tom Storm
    The Devil is, alas, no more. The last one died in the Hobart zoo in the 1930s. There are attempts underway to resurrect it from DNA.RobTAS

No, that's the Tassie Tiger. The Tassie Devil is fine, although facial tumor disease has been a threat.
  • RobTAS
    Ah, yes, my apologies. My brain fell into a warp in space-time. By sheer coincidence, while the Devil was being discussed here I happened to be talking about the Tassie Tiger on another forum and I've got my wires crossed. Crazy!

You are quite right, the Tassie Devil is still going strong. I'd hate to see it go the way of the Tiger.
  • punos

Cuban descent, currently living in Miami Beach, Florida, USA.
  • Daniel Duffy
    North-East UK in County Durham. Lived in Canada for a brief time when I was younger.
  • javi2541997
    County Durham.Daniel Duffy

I remember getting shocked when I heard the correct pronunciation of that English county for the first time!
  • Daniel Duffy

Did you assume 'Durr-ham' instead of 'Duh-rum' lol
  • javi2541997
    Did you assume 'Durr-ham' instead of 'Duh-rum' lolDaniel Duffy

Yes, exactly. :rofl:

I recall that during school, we were required to read newspapers from the UK. One of the news was about a castle in Durham. All the students pronounced it as 'Durr-ham,' but when the teacher corrected us, saying 'Duh-rum,' I was surprised because I had been mispronouncing the word until that day.
  • Vera Mont

I live near a town called Durham (there are 24 of them in North America). This one is pronounced Durram. I guess nobody has much regard for a central h.
  • AmadeusD
    This one is pronounced Durram. I guess nobody has much regard for a central h.Vera Mont

I believe this the British pronunciation, as in The University of Durham.
  • Joshs
    Chicago, Illinois ( from a native American word for smelly onion)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.