• Dermot Griffin
    the-vinegar-tasters-1084x1944.jpg

When many Christians think of Asian philosophy they don't really know anything about it. This post is an attempt to make the argument that the traditions of China and India, namely, Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism are actually great resources of Christian apologetics. Being a Christian, I have come to see the respective systems of thought as preannouncing the message of the gospel in terms of ethical questions about life.

Confucianism: The Search for Virtue

"Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors." - Analects, Ch. IV

Confucian values are considered to be the backbone of East Asian civilization. I do identify as a self proclaimed "Western" Confucian sometimes; Confucius and his followers became valuable assets to bringing China out of total chaos and disorder during the Warring States Period. The Junzi, or Superior Man, is a person who lives a life in accordance with virtue brought about about jen, that is to say unconditional love (this word literally means "human-heartedness"), for our fellow man. In Confucian terms, Christ is the ultimate Junzi because he is God on earth; He connects the metaphysical with the physical, taking on our imperfect nature, and fulfills the "Way of Heaven," as Confucians term it.

Buddhism: The Search for Freedom

"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Awakened Ones." - Dhammapada, verse 183

Buddhism is perhaps the worlds most misunderstood religion; There are so many different variants of it. While I could bring up the most popular form of Buddhism in the world, Pure Land Buddhism, and discuss its theistic ideas I would rather discuss Philosophical Buddhism as found in the Pali Canon. The ethical dimension of Buddhism is pretty simple.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Suffering happens in life.

2. Suffering has a root cause (craving).

3. Suffering can go away.

4. Living an ethical life can lead one to freedom (the Eightfold Path).

To translate this into Christian terms:

1. You get sick (i.e. experience sin)

2. The sickness has a root cause (i.e. the passions).

3. The sickness can be cured (metanoia).

4. You go to the doctor (i.e. the Church) to get a prescription (i.e. the Gospel) to get better.

This format is essentially the patristic paradigm of Kenosis, Theoria, Theosis as understood in ethical terms.

Daoism: The Search for Contemplation

"While you cultivate the soul and embrace unity, can you keep them from separating?" - Daodejing, Ch. 10

Like my tidbit on Buddhism, I wish to bring up Philosophical Daoism. If Confucianism focuses on living virtuously and Buddhism focuses on freedom from suffering, Daoism focuses on the vita contemplativa, the contemplative life. Confucianism and Buddhism discuss this too, but Daoism is all about returning to the state of pu, the state of uncarved wood, or synonymously su, the state of unbleached silk. I like to think the Daodejing gives a prefiguration of the Trinity in the following lines:

"The Dao produced One; One produced Two; Two produced Three; Three produced All things."

My commentary is this. The Dao (the Godhead) produced One (God the Father), One produces Two (God the Son), Two produces Three (God the Holy Spirit), and Three produces the created world. Although not a perfect take, I find the parallelism very interesting.

Brief Conclusions: Start with what is Good!

Bishop Fulton Sheen said that truth is like a circle of 360 degrees; Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism all contribute to the fullness of truth found in Christ. Therefore, we should use these great Asian traditions (this would include certain ideas from Hinduism and Jainism as well which I have no proper understanding of) so long as we understand them in terms of grace. We cannot, from the biblical point of view, save ourselves from ourselves by ourselves. We need, to reference one wise Buddhist, tariki, "other power." To paraphrase something Alan Watts wrote in his early years, the coming of Christ is a satori, an awakening, upon human history. Like Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism, Christianity provides us a way to live right, become free from suffering, and seek what is transient. Studying all three in comparison to the message of the New Testament shows us this.
  • Ciceronianus
    . Being a Christian, I have come to see the respective systems of thought as preannouncing the message of the gospel in terms of ethical questions about life.Dermot Griffin

That's odd. Others might find it more sensible to consider "the message of the gospel" as you put it as being merely derivative of these systems, which after all had existed for centuries before the gospels were written, or for that matter as derivative of the Western philosophical systems such as Stoicism, which also preceded the gospels by hundreds of years. Establishing that Christianity borrowed heavily from other religions or philosophical traditions wouldn't seem to indicate there's anything unique about it.
  • Banno
    Christianity borrowed heavily from other religions or philosophical traditionsCiceronianus
    Indeed,
    ...I have come to see the respective systems of thought as preannouncing the message of the gospel...Dermot Griffin
    ...looks to be an idea borrowed from Islam, with the Prophets "preannouncing the message of" Mohamed.
  • frank
    Establishing that Christianity borrowed heavily from other religions or philosophical traditions wouldn't seem to indicate there's anything unique about it.Ciceronianus

It uniquely took over Rome and subsequently became a uniquely ideologically complex religion by virtue of being a forum for diverse perspectives.
  • Ciceronianus
    It uniquely took over Rome and subsequently became a uniquely ideologically complex religion by virtue of being a forum for diverse perspectives.frank

We're making claims regarding different things. I was addressing the OP's statement that Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism "preannounced the message of the gospels" and contention that this made them "methods of Christian apologetics." Apologetics is the defense or justification of a religious doctrine. My point is that defending Christianity as a religion because it assimilated the doctrines of much older religions/philosophies isn't much of an apology, as you're merely saying it's derivative and proposes nothing new.

I tend to agree that Christianity's success was remarkable, and attribute its success to its relentless incorporation of pagan philosophy and the rituals of mystery and salvation cults popular in the Roman Empire, combined with its intolerance and state sponsored favoritism and persecution far exceeding the infrequent and irregular efforts made to suppress it. I don't think that was what the OP was intended to assert, though.
  • Ciceronianus
    ..looks to be an idea borrowed from Islam, with the Prophets "preannouncing the message of" Mohamed.Banno

The Old Testament prophets were regularly preannouncing the birth of Jesus as well, and the early Christian apologists tended to blame the similarities between Christian ritual and that of pagan cults on demons who knew what was coming and chose to mock baptism, the Eucharist, and such, even before they were practiced by Christians.
  • Banno
    "It" was a dog's breakfast of conflicting views and accounts that needed hundreds of years and much violence to even begin to appear consistent. "It" then, as now, is rife with schism and division.

Christianity has always stolen its ideas. The one original contribution is charity. No small thing.
  • Tom Storm
    ..looks to be an idea borrowed from Islam, with the Prophets "preannouncing the message of" Mohamed.Banno

Yep. Christianity is an intriguing myth made up of many appropriations. From the virgin birth story (borrowed from Ancient Egypt, Ra - the son of a virgin) to turning water into wine (a familiar trick of the Greek god Dionysus.) Adonis, like Jesus, was eaten in the form of bread. Osiris, like Jesus, was called the 'good shepherd'. And on it goes. I guess for some Christians, one way to deal with the discomfort this lack of authenticity creates (and to manage the fact that other spiritual traditions may hold wisdom), is to find a way to argue that those other traditions are prefiguring Christianity in some way.

It's not unlike the approach of presuppositionalist Christians who take on humanists by arguing that reason can't disprove god since the very conditions of reason require a foundation for logic and intelligibility - therefore Mr God.
  • Banno
    So we can read as continuing a fine tradition of appropriation? Or is it plagiarism?

It's interesting that he includes Confucianism, Buddhism, and Taoism but not Islam, as "provid(ing)... a way to live right, become free from suffering, and seek what is transient." Islam cannot be seen as "prefiguring" Christianity, and so... doesn't fit.
  • frank
    My point is that defending Christianity as a religion because it assimilated the doctrines of much older religions/philosophies isn't much of an apology, as you're merely saying it's derivative and proposes nothing new.Ciceronianus

I was trying to explain that a religion is great by virtue of its power to transmit ideas from one generation to the next, not by its inventiveness. Religion is a conserving business. New stuff is anathema.
  • frank
    It" was a dog's breakfast of conflicting views and accounts that needed hundreds of years and much violence to even begin to appear consistent.Banno

Between Augustinians, Franciscans, Benedictines, and Dominicans, Christianity was diverse. Conflict creates dynamism. That's a good thing for an ideology.

I wish more people perceived the grandeur and beauty of Christianity. Maybe some are too close to it to see it.
  • Ciceronianus
    Yep. Christianity is an intriguing myth made up of many appropriations. From the virgin birth story (borrowed from Ancient Egypt, Ra - the son of a virgin) to turning water into wine (a familiar trick of the Greek god Dionysus.) Adonis, like Jesus, was eaten in the form of bread. Osiris, like Jesus, was called the 'good shepherd'. And on it goes. I guess for some Christians, one way to deal with the discomfort this lack of authenticity creates (and to manage the fact that other spiritual traditions may hold wisdom), is to find a way to argue that those other traditions are prefiguring Christianity in some way.Tom Storm

Or are perverted copies of Christianity, as in the case of Mithraism. From Justin Martyr:

"For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, "This do ye in remembrance of Me, this is My body; "and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, "This is My blood; "and gave it to them alone. Which the wicked devils have imitated in the mysteries of Mithras, commanding the same thing to be done. For, that bread and a cup of water are placed with certain incantations in the mystic rites of one who is being initiated, you either know or can learn."
  • Tom Storm
    I think myths are generally appropriations and syncretism is how many religions develop.

I have a soft spot for progressive Christianity but from my reading there's no reason to believe that any of the New Testament stories actually took place. The Gospels are anonymous copies of translations of copies of translations, produced decades after the events described. We have no independent evidence of a Jesus, although no doubt the region 2000 years ago was swarming with self-styled messiahs and sons of god. As are many places today. There may well have been a figure or two who inspired the legends. It doesn't much matter.
  • Banno
    Yes - in Tolkien's words, the tale grew in the telling. And still does.
  • frank
    We have no independent evidence of a Jesus,Tom Storm

It wasn't Jesus. It was some other guy named Jesus.
  • Tom Storm
    It wasn't Jesus. It was some other guy named Jesus.frank

It wasn't Jesus. It may have been no guy at all. Or guys. Or someone called Frankus.
  • frank
    It wasn't Jesus. It may have been no guy at all. Or Guys. Or someone called Frankus.Tom Storm

Nobody said the meek shall inherit the earth? Was it computer generated?
  • Tom Storm

It's from Psalms - Psalm 37:11 (NIV) states:

"But the meek will inherit the land
    and enjoy peace and prosperity."

I imagine the literature appropriated and adapted this, like it did with many other items.
  • Ciceronianus
    Nobody said the meek shall inherit the earth?frank

I was going to say Naughtius Maximus or Biggus Dickus, but don't want to be offensive.
  • frank
    I imagine the literature appropriated and adapted this, like it did with many other items.Tom Storm

Indeed. Let me tell you a parable. A farmer went around throwing seeds. Some of the seeds fell on rocky soil and did nothing. Some fell on crappy soil and sprouted, but then died. Some of the seeds fell on fertile soil and gave birth to a forest.

It's not who said it. It's where the seed fell. The question is: what kind of soil are you?

Ta da!!!
  • frank
    I was going to say Naughtius Maximus or Biggus Dickus, but don't want to be offensive.Ciceronianus

Incontinentia Buttocks.
  • Tom Storm
    It's not who said it. It's where the seed fell. The question is: what kind of soil are you?frank

I'm the kind of soil that likes to know if the seeds are for plants worth growing.
  • frank
    I'm the kind of soil that likes to know if the seeds are for plants worth growing.Tom Storm

You're rocky soil.
  • Tom Storm
    Rocky and rolly.
  • 0 thru 9

‘Comparitive religion’ (a tolerant and open attitude) and / or the Perennial Philosophy is not the most popular position at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks for going against the trend. :wink: :up:
  • Wayfarer
    Bishop Fulton Sheen said that truth is like a circle of 360 degrees; Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism all contribute to the fullness of truth found in Christ. Therefore, we should use these great Asian traditions (this would include certain ideas from Hinduism and Jainism as well which I have no proper understanding of) so long as we understand them in terms of grace. We cannot, from the biblical point of view, save ourselves from ourselves by ourselves. We need, to reference one wise Buddhist, tariki, "other power." To paraphrase something Alan Watts wrote in his early years, the coming of Christ is a satori, an awakening, upon human history.Dermot Griffin

:100: Wish there were more of a similar mind. :clap:
  • Fooloso4
    I have come to see the respective systems of thought as preannouncing the message of the gospel in terms of ethical questions about life.Dermot Griffin

It is, rather, post hoc. Just another example of how just about anything can be put through the meat grinder of Christian apologetics and come out looking like something it is not. It is unapologetically chauvinistic.

Therefore, we should use these great Asian traditions ... so long as we understand them in terms of grace.Dermot Griffin

So long as you understand them in terms of grace you do not understand them.

We cannot, from the biblical point of view, save ourselves from ourselves by ourselves.Dermot Griffin

If you include the Hebrew Bible ("Old Testament") this is simply not true. It is the opinion of Paul. Part of his campaign, in opposition to Jesus' disciples, to bring the Gentiles to his Christ.
  • Ciceronianus
    ‘Comparitive religion’ (a tolerant and open attitude) and / or the Perennial Philosophy is not the most popular position at the moment unfortunately.

Thanks for going against the trend
    0 thru 9

Only up to a point, though, I'm afraid. According to the OP, the Asian systems he refers to are deficient, from the Christian perspective. They just don't go far enough (which is to say, they're not Christianity). Thus the proviso that we must understand them in terms of the Christian concept of "grace."
  • Ciceronianus
    Wish there were more of a similar mind.Wayfarer

Well, Fulton Sheen may end up canonized shortly, so you should be pleased. The Jesuits, by the way, were adept at adopting native traditions as part of their conversion efforts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.