• Terrapin Station
    And how do they rebel against it mate? By doing away with their religion generally - if not in name, then in deeds. What I'm telling is sensible.Agustino

On that view, you'd have to argue that almost no one is "really religious,"
  • Agustino
    On that view, you'd have to argue that almost no one is "really religious,"Terrapin Station
    That's not true. There's many folks who adhere to and respect their beliefs, and there is a resurgence of it amongst young people - for example look at me. I rebel against promiscuity, which was the natural state I encountered in the world, just like some rebel against monogamy, which was the natural state they've encountered in the world.
  • Agustino
    Also take note that the US isn't the whole world. Other parts of the world, thinking now of Latin America, Eastern Europe etc. are witnessing a resurgence in religion.
  • Terrapin Station
    That's not true. There's many folks who adhere to and respect their beliefsAgustino

Yeah, it is true. I've known tons and tons of people who identify as religious, who regularly go to church, etc. I've not known one of them who strictly follows the religion. I don't think that what you say is at all representative of a norm--in fact, I think that just about every person on this board has some serious dysfunctional issues, and I'd not believe anything you'd say in this regard just because you're saying it. Again, people say and do very different things.
  • Agustino
    Yeah, it is true. I've known tons and tons of people who identify as religious, who regularly go to church, etc. I've not known one of them who strictly follows the religion.Terrapin Station
    That's because you live in New York for God's sake >:O What do you expect mate, honestly?

in fact, I think that just about every person on this board has some serious dysfunctional issuesTerrapin Station
    LOOOOL >:O so what are you doing hanging around with the retards then?

Again, people say and do very different things.Terrapin Station
    SOME people - that doesn't mean everyone is like that. You're just assuming everyone is like that because the folks who live in New York and go to Church are like that. Of course they are - probably the biggest hypocrites live in those cities!
  • Terrapin Station
    That's because you live in New York for God's sakeAgustino

I've not only lived in New York--I wasn't born here, I didn't grow up here. And I've traveled extensively, all over the world.

so what are you doing hanging around with the retards then?Agustino

I've not done a ton of searching for outlets, but there doesn't seem to be much choice re an active board where you can talk about philosophy online, AND, what I'm saying there isn't only true of this board. It's true of boards where people can be anonymous across much of the Internet. Boards seem to attract particular sorts of people with dysfunctional issues.
  • Agustino
    I've not only lived in New York--I wasn't born here, I didn't grow up here. And I've traveled extensively, all over the world.Terrapin Station
    Yeah, I don't quite believe that, unless you've just travelled around the Western world.

Boards seem to attract particular sorts of people with dysfunctional issues.Terrapin Station
    Like yourself? >:)
  • Terrapin Station
    Yeah, I don't quite believe that, unless you've just travelled around the Western world.Agustino

If only it hinged on what you believe.

Like yourself?Agustino

I never excluded myself.
  • Agustino
    Mate look, I've given you everything you've asked for, including statistics and explanations to account for your own experiences, but apparently you still insist that you know it, that religious people are all lying hypocrites who don't respect their beliefs. That conclusion right there is nuts.

So far you have presented zero evidence to back up or incline me to believe in your position. Instead you just dismiss statistical evidence based on what people anonymously say as wrong. Okay, even if it's wrong, do you realise how wrong it has to be? The difference between 1/30 and 1/5 is 600%. Okay, 600% is wrong, some of them are lying. Even if the difference was just 50% (3/10), that would still be significant enough to justify my conclusion. So far I have more grounds for holding this, and you have absolutely none. Except your experience, which I've already dealt with in my post explaining Bayesian probability.
  • Terrapin Station

Your grounds for believing what you do are really that it's the way you feel, and the way you feel people should ideally be. It's what makes sense to you given little ability to think about anything in a less black and white way. Your grounds include zero real world experience--to the point where you can't even believe that anyone could travel extensively, because it's so foreign to your own experience, and zero critical ability re thinking about sources of information that confirm your beliefs.
  • Agustino
    >:O >:O >:O Good one mate. Keep living in a dream. Kids, take note, that's what happens when you snort cocaine.
  • Janus
    >:O >:O Good one mate. Keep living in a dream. Kids, take note, that's what happens when you snort cocaine.Agustino

Now, that's funny! >:O

lj06r1ndrj0lgi6k.jpg
  • anonymous66
    What I see in this thread is what I think could be called a category error..... You appear to be making an argument using these premises
    P1. Christianity is a religion about rules (and you admit your fellow Christians have a hard time following the ones you want them to)
    P2. Stoicism is also about rules
    P3. Modern Stoics don't have as much unity (when compared to Christianity) when it comes to the rules

And then you come to the conclusion
    C: Christianity is better than Stoicism.

But, you also argue that it's better that one follow rules, vs just having rules. (and again, I'll point out that you admit your fellow Christians have a hard time following the rules you want them to)

Will you stand by your assertion that Christianity is about rules? Because I'm pretty sure that Jesus says otherwise.

and I'm pretty sure that you'd have to agree that Christians don't actually have much unity in any of their beliefs... including which rules to follow... (if it turns out that Christianity is actually about rules).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.