• anonymous66
    The ones wherein you mention sex and unity of beliefs in regards to Christianity and Stoicism.
  • Agustino
    The ones wherein you mention sex and unity of beliefs in regards to Christianity and Stoicism.anonymous66
    I mentioned merely the fact that Christianity has a clear position on sex before marriage. There may be Christians who practice it for example, and still call themselves Christian, but they can't argue that fornication is morally permissible in Christianity. What they'll most likely say is that they fall into temptation because they are sinful, etc. etc.

Whereas Stoicism doesn't have clear and established guidelines with regards to sexuality that no one can question.
  • anonymous66
    Is the main issue about what people are actually doing? Or is it merely a matter of whether or not there are rules in place?
  • Agustino
    How are you defining "fornication"?anonymous66
    The way everyone defines it. Fornication = sex before marriage.

And what makes you think the Bible has a clear position on sex before marriage?anonymous66
    Clear textual evidence? Leviticus, 1 Corinthians, Galatians?
  • Agustino
    Or is it merely a matter of whether or not there are rules in place?anonymous66
    My statements were merely about whether there are clear rules in place. I said one advantage of Christianity is that there are clear rules, unlike in Stoicism, where this is up for interpretation, as many modern Stoics deny it. Do you disagree about that?

Of course what people are actually doing is more important, but I wasn't talking about that.
  • anonymous66
    Again... are you applying the same standard (the rules are up for interpretation) to your belief system (in this case Christianity)?
  • anonymous66
    Of course what people are actually doing is more important, but I wasn't talking about that.
    Then aren't there some things you ought to be saying to your fellow Christians?
  • Agustino
    Again... are you applying the same standard (the rules are up for interpretation) to your belief system (in this case Christianity)?anonymous66
    How I am not applying the same standard?

Then aren't there some things you ought to be saying to your fellow Christians?anonymous66
    Yes, I should tell them to respect the moral rules laid out in the Bible.
  • anonymous66
    How I am not applying the same standard?Agustino

Are there issues in Christianity that are open to interpretation?
  • Agustino
    Are there issues in Christianity that are open to interpretation?anonymous66
    Yes, of course. But not so much when it comes to moral behaviour. Things are up to interpretation in the sense of the role the Trinity plays, what a certain parable means, what is required for salvation, etc. Those kind of more abstract questions.
  • anonymous66
    Yes, of course. But not so much when it comes to moral behaviour.Agustino
    Are attitudes about sexual orientation concerned with moral behavior? What about attitudes towards how to deal with strangers (I'm thinking about immigration)? [I'm in the US].
  • Agustino
    Are attitudes about sexual orientation concerned with moral behavior?anonymous66
    Sorry, but what exactly do you mean? What are you referring to by "attitudes about sexual orientation"?
  • anonymous66
    Are Christians in agreement about what the Bible says about sexual orientation?
  • Agustino
    Are Christians in agreement about what the Bible says about sexual orientation?anonymous66
    Sexual orientations?! As in regarding being gay, lesbian, and stuff like that? Most are, but some obviously aren't.
  • anonymous66
    I guess I'm confused. Is there unity among Christians about what the Bible says about sexual morality or isn't there?
  • Agustino
    Is there unity among Christians or isn't there?anonymous66
    No, obviously there isn't complete union. But Christianity does have a structure which helps in achieving unity. For example, finding sexually immoral people (those who engage in fornication, etc.) is rarer amongst Catholics than amongst atheists. No human structure is perfect, so of course there will never be a perfect result.
  • Agustino
    It is a true fact that religious people engage in less sexual licentiousness than atheists though. You're probably a prime example ;) :P
  • Terrapin Station

What survey method are we using for that?
  • Agustino
    Use Google. And your own personal knowledge of people. And your intuition ;)
  • Terrapin Station

That sounds pretty rigorous and reliable, haha.
  • Agustino
    You don't need to be rigorous and reliable 100%. You need quick and fast decisions, which can inform and guide your actions. There's not enough time to be 100% rigorous and reliable.

Let's see Terrapin. Would you be promiscuous and claim to be a Christian believer? Probably not. Why? Because most people would not engage repeatedly (maybe they would once or twice) in activities that are completely contrary to their fundamental beliefs (why? well who the hell wants to think of themselves as dishonest, lying snitches?). So people who are promiscuous would naturally gravitate towards cultures and beliefs systems which permit this. Just like you in fact ;)
  • Terrapin Station
    Let's see Terrapin. Would you be promiscuous and claim to be a Christian believer? Probably not. Why? Because most people would not engage repeatedly (maybe they would once or twice) in activities that are completely contrary to their fundamental beliefs (why? well who the hell wants to think of themselves as dishonest, lying snitches?). So people who are promiscuous would naturally gravitate towards cultures and beliefs systems which permit this. Just like you in factAgustino

I'm very promiscuous, definitely. But you know what? Most of the females I've been promiscuous with were religious. Most people in general are still religious. A couple of the wildest females I've known seemed to be the most religious--one was a minister's daughter, one was at church more days of the week than not, etc.
  • Terrapin Station

Isn't that reporting what people say? What people say is often different than what they do.
  • Agustino
    Most of the females I've been promiscuous with were religious. Most people in general are still religious. A couple of the wildest females I've known seemed to be the most religious--one was a minister's daughter, one was at church more days of the week than not, etc.Terrapin Station
    Mate of course there's even a lot of religious people who do that, because we live in a culture which promotes and encourages promiscuity as the cool thing. What I'm saying is that LESS religious people than non-religious are going to be promiscuous.

And by the way, did you ever ask them about how their religious views affected or were related to their behaviour? Many people are "religious" in name only.
  • Terrapin Station
    What I'm saying is that LESS religious people than non-religious are going to be promiscuous.Agustino

Right, but one thing you appealed to was anecdotal evidence. That doesn't suggest your conclusion here.

So what else do you got?
  • Agustino
    Right, but one thing you appealed to was anecdotal evidence. That doesn't suggest your conclusion here.

So what else do you got?
    Terrapin Station
    If you had to make a bet, would you bet against my conclusion or for it, and why?
  • Terrapin Station
    If you had to make a bet, would you bet against my conclusion or for it, and why?Agustino

Yes. I'd bet against your conclusion. Because religious views in this regard promote a repression that people seem to rebel against.
  • Agustino
    Yes. I'd bet against your conclusion. Because religious views in this regard promote a repression that people seem to rebel against.Terrapin Station
    And how do they rebel against it mate? By doing away with their religion generally - if not in name, then in deeds. What I'm telling is sensible.

Of course most of the girls you hooked up with would be religious - no doubts about it for the simple reason that as a whole population, the religious group is much larger than the non-religious. Bayesian probability mate. So you're of course more likely, granted you pick a random woman, that she will be religious and promiscuous, than that she would be atheist and promiscuous, simply because the pool of religious is much larger than the pool of atheists, even though the probability of her being promiscuous is greater in the atheist pool.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.