• unenlightened
    Your thoughts remind me of the Tao Te Ching. Also, Zen.Amity

Yeah, my mind has been infected since almost forever

Creativity. Its source and process seem to involve a letting go.Amity

Yes indeed, the source is the process of letting go. The idea of freedom becomes confused and confusing because it is a buzz-word that everyone wants to claim, but to the extent that anyone succeeds in claiming it, they are succeeding in enslaving freedom itself. Whatever one holds onto becomes a tether, even the idea of freedom: "Therefore the sage lets go of that, and chooses this."

Anyone who knows anything about Taoist or Zen practice though will not mistake this for a descent into mere chaos. On the contrary, the discipline is very austere, the responsibilities are great. Likewise, it takes a really disciplined and masterful musician to play free jazz.

:100:
  • Alkis Piskas
    I wonder how clear everyone is on what we mean by this word and to what extent our understanding of the concept overlaps.Vera Mont
    In its strict and basic sense, freedom is absence of obstacles.
    Most definitions and descriptions of "freedom" can be reduced to that simple truth. Most examples of situations involving freedom can be reduced to that simple truth.

Now, obstacles can be anything one can imagine and name that stands in front of or counter-forces to an effort in performing an action or accomplishing a purpose in general.

Based on this one can draw a lot of conclusions and answer a lot of questions. So, let’s see:

Is it possible for anyone to have total freedom?Vera Mont
    No. Life is plenty of obstacles. There are always counter-forces.

The best way I believe to see how freedom and obstacles work, is to think of games. Any game, team or individual: sport games, board games, card games, puzzle and brain games, etc.
    In most games you have opponents. They act as obstacles for achieving the goal of the game. And you also have rules about what you are not allowed to do. They also act as obstacles. And you also have rules that allow you to do things. These act as "freedoms", i.e. they are part of your freedom in playing a game. Then there are personal factors that can also act as obstacles and freedoms: both physical and mental. Experience and skills or lack of them can also act as freedoms and obstacles..

What kinds of freedom can a person have?Vera Mont
    Covered above.

Indeed, all your questions can be answered based on the freedoms-obstacles equation. I won't do that in this comment though, lest it becomes too loaded.
  • Vera Mont
    Indeed, all your questions can be answered based on the freedoms-obstacles equation.Alkis Piskas

Yes, this is true, and a comprehensive definition.
    It is, however, very little help in formulating a political philosophy. When discussing freedoms within the structure of a society, we need to tackle more specific questions regarding the distribution of obstacles placed before segments of the population; who can/ should/ is entitled to place what obstacles before whom; and whether the governing group can / should / is entitled to remove natural or previously imposed obstacles from some classes of citizen.
    I didn't ask those questions in any detail, but some posters have already extra dimensions to my originally question. I has grown wider and more interesting than my original intent.
    Thanks for adding another perspective.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.