• Moliere
    To start at philosophy one should....

1. Read a philosophy text and attempt to understand it.
    2. Read a different philosophy text, even by the same author, and attempt to understand it.
    3. Compare and contrast the two texts. If able write some things down to attempt to solidify your thoughts. Share it with anyone interested!
    4. Repeat, if desired, or add a rule. (Purposefully ambiguous)

That sound about right?
  • plaque flag

:up:
    I like the mix of reading and writing. I might add that it's great to read writers that attack one another.
  • Banno
    Nuh.

Philosophy involves dialogue. It's inherently social in a way not captured by your four points.
  • T Clark
    It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet. — Kafka

Then, if you want to do some reading, you can.
  • Moliere
    True!

Where to put it in the sequence?
  • Banno

I don't much mind, so long as you do not take 's advice.
  • Moliere
    :D Oh fine. I'll leave that advice for my more poetic desires.

then how about this:

1. Read a philosophy text and attempt to understand it.
    2. Read a different philosophy text, even by the same author, and attempt to understand it.
    3. Compare and contrast the two texts. If able write some things down to attempt to solidify your thoughts. Share it with anyone interested! Share it with someone whose at least read the texts too and start a dialogue.
    4. Repeat, if desired, or add a rule. (Purposefully ambiguous)
  • Banno

:wink:

The most common congenital deformity of philosophy is "making shit up". The remedy is exposing one's ideas to criticism. The natural home of philosophy is the symposium, not the text.
  • Moliere
    I'll echo @Banno in saying philosophy is social -- but I'll also provide relief in saying there's something to be said for not seeking. It's just hard to qualify it as philosophy.
  • Moliere
    Fair. My historicism showing again.
  • Tobias
    Then:
    1. Read novels and watch movies that ask philosophical questions. Not explicitly, that's boring but implicitly. Stuff like The Matrix, Sophie's World, Memento, Dune. Next up is Borges, Ursula Le Guin, Kafka, Catch 22... In any case, literature first.
    2. Read a philosophy text and attempt to understand it, but not from a primary source, a text about the history of philosophy or Phil of Science, of language, political phil. anything really but not primary.
    3. Read a primary source, something like Descartes, Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Habermas, Rawls...
    4. Read a different philosophy text, and attempt to understand it.
    5. Compare and contrast the two texts. If able write some things down to attempt to solidify your thoughts. Share it with anyone interested! Repeat 3 and 4 a couple of times. Go to Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, Popper, Gadamer or some of those wildly obscure analytics ;)
    6. Find a mentor, a 'demon' who you can spar with but is above your level
    7. Read more, different texts, compare and contrast but most of all discuss.
    8. Dispute with your mentor, question him or her. Find your own inspiration.
    9. become a mentor for someone else.
    10. Repeat, if desired, or add a rule. (Purposefully ambiguous)[/quote]
  • Banno
    literature firstTobias

...maybe.
  • Wayfarer
    Philosophy involves dialogue.Banno

Reading is a form of dialogue.
  • DingoJones
    Philosophy involves dialogue. It's inherently social in a way not captured by your four points.Banno

Descarte wasnt doing philosophy in his solitary meditations? When you say “inherent”, wouldnt that make it a pre requisite for philosophy? So what was Decarte doing in his cave, if not some kind of philosophy?
  • Banno
    Hmmm... not so much. Depends on how you were taught to read. Those who learned only on the bible tend not to be so critical.
  • Banno
    So what was Decarte(sic.) doing in his cave(sic.)DingoJones

Amusing himself, one supposes.
  • DingoJones
    Reading is a form of dialogue.Quixodian

Its by definition not a form of dialogue, not in the sense of a philosophical dialogue anyway.
  • plaque flag
    Reading is a form of dialogue.Quixodian

:up:

Me and the author. Me and me. The author and the author. The self is a chaos of voices.
  • DingoJones

Oh come on. Lol
    Is sociality really inherent to philosophy if it can be done alone? Maybe we are using “inherent” differently?
  • Wayfarer
    Exactly! Obviously, books don't talk back, but reading the original and then the various commentaries on the original, is very much a form of dialogue. Better still, obviously, to then actually discuss, as we do here, but reading, meanwhile, can be dialogical.
  • Banno
    If you prefer to do it by yourself, then we'd best leave you to it.
  • plaque flag

And it's not always easy to find anyone who gives a shit about this stuff in the first place. So it's a huge luxury or privilege if you just happen to have a boatload of educated peers available to discuss the finer points of Heidegger or Popper with. That's probably why I find this forum so addictive. It's such a relief to find others for whom philosophy actually exists in a significant way.
  • Banno
    Yeah, but it's the nature and quality of the dialogue...

Best, there is much to be said for the... fixity... of text, as a jump-off for critique.
  • T Clark
    It's just hard to qualify it as philosophy.Moliere

Then you don't understand what philosophy is.
  • Wayfarer
    That's probably why I find this forum so addictive.plaque flag

Believe me, I hear you. Hardly a day goes by when I don't think, why am I wasting spending so much time on this Forum? Surely there are many more important things I could be doing. But

• DingoJones

Not what I said at all, but you know that. Is there just no more chance of you and i having an actual exchange? Remember? Im a human being? In your world doesnt that at least deserve the courtesy of telling me to *insert Banno speak for fuckoff*? I mean, I would respect your wishes and leave you be. If not, engage. Maybe it’ll be worthwhile.
  • Moliere
    Is sociality really inherent to philosophy if it can be done alone? Maybe we are using “inherent” differently?DingoJones

I think so, given that language is already a social technology, and that's what we usually do philosophy with. Speaking alone is like Robinson Crusoe -- he learned how to do the things on the Island from the place he came from where he learned those things.
  • DingoJones

Speaking alone is still speaking. Philosophy might differ when its in solitude but I dont see how it would cease to exist.
  • Moliere
    Sure. There's a part of it done alone. But we're here talking, right? Isn't that part of it too?
  • DingoJones

Sure, it’s both imo. If it’s both, neither can be inherent to philosophy since the two are mutually exclusive. Obviously there are different ideas about what philosophy is but one that says its defined by (inherent) talking or not talking to people is very strange.
  • jgill
    1. Read a philosophy text and attempt to understand it.Moliere

According to my philosophy prof many years ago this is entirely the wrong approach. Read commentaries first, then the originals. You Kant fail.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.