• Mark Nyquist
    Is there anything that can be done about the limited ability to post photographs/images on this Philosophy Forum? The restriction seems like something that limits the scope of what we can do here and should be eliminated post haste. It's something that is relevant to memory, time perception, consciousness and re-creation of past events that are imperatives of the fundamentals of philosophy.

Times are changing...our data plans have changed from 3 or 4 years ago so let's get up to speed and find a way to post photos on this forum.......,Mark Nyquist...been around a while... You know me...get on it....

Management, founders, oversee-ers of this forum, please respond.
  • Banno
    SO — not a thread about imaginary numbers then.
  • Mark Nyquist

Hi Banno, I'm lost. Not addressing you.

Just wondering how to post photos on this forum... wouldn't that be progressive?
  • Banno
    So far as I understand, you can pay for the privilege.
  • Mark Nyquist

Thanks for the heads up, Banno.

And to management...that is just shit.
    You can rebuttle of course... enlightening us.
  • Mark Nyquist
    Just saying, that even on my mager cell phone plan, an occasional photograph wouldn't be an extravagance....what am I missing?
  • Jamal
    You can easily upload your images to the internet somewhere and then link to them in your posts. If you want to upload them directly to TPF, subscribe to TPF here:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/367/subscribe-to-tpf/p1

I don’t know why you think you should have an automatic right to use TPF to both store and display your images.

It's something that is relevant to memory, time perception, consciousness and re-creation of past events that are imperatives of the fundamentals of philosophy.Mark Nyquist

I have no idea what this means.

Also, why did you entitle this discussion “i” and why did you post it in “Philosophy of Mind”?
  • Mark Nyquist

Your points are well taken and I will come back another day.

Overall this is a well managed site and I really don't know who is who but you must be a principal so please, please no offense. You have your perspective that I don't have but I will understand if you explain it.

Yes, you are right, I missed some of the protocol in starting my post. A mental lapse on my part.
    Some of us have chaotic days that terminate here for better or worse.
  • Mark Nyquist

Okay,. Who is who is important..
    I sometimes do a 180 like today.
    I'll look into your suggestions on images.
  • frank

You can upload them to imgur.
  • javi2541997
    Pay your fees as a good contributor.
  • jgill
    Any alternative to subscribe without going through PayPal? Got hacked in an account years ago.

I get scam claims through their site frequently.
  • Jamal
    Any alternative to subscribe without going through PayPal?jgill

PayPal is as safe and secure as any good online payment system and I don’t have plans to gather money in some other way.
  • invicta

Unsure about how to protect such an account after setting it up, my only concern with PayPal
  • Jamal
    Probably in the way you’d protect any online account: use a strong password and enable two-factor authentication.
  • javi2541997

@invicta is just using excuses to avoid TPF's tax. :joke:
  • Gnomon
    Is there anything that can be done about the limited ability to post photographs/images on this Philosophy Forum?Mark Nyquist
    One way to upload images to TPF is to do a Google search for your topic. Select the "images" sub-tab, then find an appropriate image and click it. The selected image will then appear in the upper right hand corner. Right click on it, and select from the menu : "copy image link". With the link now stored in your clipboard memory, go to your post and click on the rectangle & mountain symbol on the menu bar to open the Image dialog. Paste the image link in the box, and click "Go". The image will then be added to your post where the cursor is located. There are other methods, but they may require a little more work. :smile:

image%20input%20symbol.png
    IMAGE INPUT SYMBOL
  • invicta
    I will be setting up a PayPal account soon and use two factor authentication as @Jamal suggested @javi2541997 no more excuses :lol:
  • Jamal
    Thanks in advance for your financial support :up:
  • javi2541997
    You have all my respect, sir. :up:
  • Mark Nyquist

Thanks, Gnomon. Some of us have varying degrees of technical savvy depending on our circumstance. And for some us financial support is or is not a reality. This really is a good forum. It might come down to marginal utility on a person to person basis. We all have burdens and some serious thought is required to get the best allocation of our resources.

Anyway, the jist of my OP was that images are fundamental to philosophy, and on reflection, not so much a criticism of this forum.

That it can exist as it does should be appreciated by all of us.
  • Gnomon
    Anyway, the jist of my OP was that images are fundamental to philosophy, and on reflection, not so much a criticism of this forum.Mark Nyquist
    Yes. What famous philosopher said "a picture is worth a thousand words"? OOOps! The quote below says it was an advertising executive, presumably with pecuniary motives instead of philosophical wisdom. Nevertheless, philosophical tomes tend to be abstract & verbose. So it's easy to get lost in the labyrinth of metaphysics. But a picture works like a poetic metaphor to compress idealized generalizations into concrete specifications : an instance. FWIW, I save meaningful images to a personal webpage, for use later in blogs & posts. :smile:

A graphic illustration conveys a stronger message than words, as in The book jacket is a big selling point—one picture is worth a thousand words. This saying was invented by an advertising executive, Fred R. Barnard. To promote his agency's ads he took out an ad in Printer's Ink in 1921 with the headline “One Look Is Worth a Thousand Words” and attributed it to an ancient Japanese philosopher. Six years later he changed it to “Chinese Proverb: One Picture Is Worth Ten Thousand Words,” illustrated with some Chinese characters. The attribution in both was invented; Barnard simply believed an Asian origin would give it more credibility.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words--one

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN' AT? . . . .
    A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS . . . .
    WANT TO KNOW A SECRET? . . . . . .
    Mona-Lisa.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.