• TiredThinker
    In the Goo goo dolls song, "Name" it has the lyric, "don't it make you sad to know that life, is more than who we are?" I know the song in general may have other meanings, but regarding that statement alone any thoughts? How would everyone interpret the takeaway of that line?
  • invicta
    It implies a holistic view of life that were bigger then the sum of our parts organismically and sociologically.
  • 180 Proof
    "don't it make you sad to know that life, is more than who we are?"TiredThinker
    Nah, I ain't no solipsist or narcissist.
  • TiredThinker
    I assume it means maybe we invent stuff to be important when maybe our identity is actually all that really matters? But society forces us to work within the confines of priorities that may actually be hollow?
  • Sir2u
    It is wrong to take it out of the context of the entirety, something that so many people do nowadays to argue that they are correct about something.
    I have never heard the song, or at least have never paid attention to it while hearing, maybe posting the lyrics would make it easier to comment on how the write intended us to interpret the meaning.
  • 180 Proof
    Maybe. So what? A truism at most. Read Beckett or Kafka, Chekov or Houellebecq. :smirk:
  • TiredThinker
    Is it really obviously true though?
  • 180 Proof
    Unless one is naive, I think so.
  • TiredThinker
    So a person's identity is all that matters? Life isn't about more?
  • Noble Dust

Songwriters often write words that scratch an unconscious itch, but they might not even be able to explain what the words mean themselves; speaking from experience. The meanings of good song lyrics are often left open to debate. I wouldn't hang on a song by the Goo Goo Dolls to tell you something deep about life. The song could do that for you, but that more depends on your own experience of life and your experience of the song.
  • 180 Proof
    So a person's identity is all that matters?TiredThinker
    A "person's identity" is the precondition of "all that matters" to her.

Life isn't about more?
    IMO, "life" isn't "about" anything "more" than living-as-an-end-in-itself (like e.g. health, playing, caring, flourishing, etc).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.