• Bret Bernhoft
    Is silence golden? That's a good question.

In some arenas of this world, silence is preferred. Whereas in others, silence is not. What are the philosophical implications of choosing to be loud, versus being silent? There would seem to be many, if a difference can be found.

I majored in Communications, so you can probably interpret my bias. But, as of late, silence has been my preferred mode of being, in the realities that I inhabit.

I am doing much more listening and meditation, than I've ever done. And the results are quite spectacular. With my appreciation for three hundred and sixty degree thinking, I'm seeing changes in every aspect of my life.

But this is just me. What are your thoughts? Is silence golden? Does silence bring about higher quality living?
    1. Is silence golden? (5 votes)
        Yes
        80%
        No
        20%
  • invicta
    Words can impact your silence especially if said loudly. Language is meant to communicate between two skulls orders and ideas. If one monkey is being loud and one monkey silent then all good. If the silent monkey starts getting annoyed at the loud monkey then we have a problem as silence will soon turn to action from the loud and silent monkey.
  • Vera Mont
    It's entirely situation-dependent.
  • Tom Storm
    Does silence bring about higher quality living?Bret Bernhoft

Maybe. I think it’s a preference. I like silence. And I can go days without talking. I feel no benefits from it except the joy of silence itself.
  • Jamal
    Mostly I like silence, natural sounds, and the occasional human utterance. I prefer—it feels like I absolutely need—silence when I’m reading. I get stressed by constant traffic noise. I get angry at people who use car horns needlessly. I love music but I hate the ubiquity of background music.

But sometimes I love being in amongst the noise of the city and talking and laughing noisily all night.

But what does this have to do with philosophy? We have a social science section and I think noise and ambient sound could be explored in terms of psychology and sociology, and from there it could get philosophical, but the way the OP frames the topic it just seems to be about personal preference. Discussing how silence might help you feel more philosophical is not itself philosophical.

I’m not moving it to the Lounge as yet. Let’s see what happens.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.