• invicta
    In England there’s an old tradition of killing foxes as a hobby. I want to make the matter simple by adding a poll.

Should fox hunting or other trophy animals be discouraged?
    1. Should killing for sport be discouraged (5 votes)
        Yes
        80%
        No
          0%
        Neutral
        20%
  • javi2541997

Absolutely, yes. Killing animals for fun is one of the worst activities done by humans. We have the same problem in Spain. We are already in the 21st century and I do not understand why people keep going to stupid bullfightings...
  • Jamal
    An interesting alternative example to use is fishing, because fish are lacking in the furry cuteness that evokes our sentimental anthropomorphism.

I don't much like or approve of hunting for sport except for fishing, where you put the fish back alive, or else you kill it only so that you can eat it. So maybe the significant distinction, if there is one, is specifically the killing for sport, which is not a part of fishing.
  • invicta

A fair dichotomy and a distinction personally I’ve never been involved and my judgment on such activity does not preclude morality.
  • Jamal
    I am unable to understand that sentence. That is to say … huh?
  • invicta
    It’s just a question of wildlife and morality that’s all huh @1 Brother James
  • Vera Mont
    Fox hunting has banned in England and Wales nearly 20 years ago. They still have the sport of riding to hounds, but without the fox. In much of Europe, a large number of species had been hunted to extinction or near extinction, and the EU has been promoting conservation projects and re-habilitating species in a number of countries. Blood-sports generally are discouraged or at least regulated - but countries are not at all unanimous either in the bannings or in the enforcement of animal protection laws.
    Of-bloody-course systemic sadism is wrong.
    Even when it's faked in the movies and video games, it corrodes the moral fabric of society.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.