• invicta
    At the heart of philosophy is the question of how one should live their lives.

This question though sometimes eludes or worse is not even asked by the individual in their society.

The philosophers job then is to guide, issuing principles sometimes enforced by law so as to deter anti social behaviour such as looting, theft, and every crime in between up to and including murder.

I think it’s a matter of conduct for every citizen to walk upright with a clear conscience or being conscientious. This means not infringing the rights of others which could lead to conflicts either petty between neighbours or nation states e.g Russia v Ukraine.

Do any philosophers here have more input on what makes a good life worth living for and worth dying for ?
  • 180 Proof
    In sum: reflective & moral courage (i.e. lucid Sisyphusian/Promethean defiance) constitutes the good life.

:death: :flower:
  • Vera Mont
    The philosophers job then is to guide, issuing principlesinvicta

based on a close observation and analysis of how society works, what elements are required to its working to the benefit of its members and what circumstances render a society dysfunctional. Religion lays down precepts and rules; philosophy makes sense of the need for precepts and rules.
  • Sir2u
    Do any philosophers here have more input on what makes a good life worth living for and worth dying for ?invicta

Having what you need, when you need it.
    Having someone to love, that loves you.
    To let others live their lives while they do the same for you.

And enough beer to makes things seem better when the first three are not working out right.
  • Vera Mont
    As laid out in the sanest of philosophical systems:
    In moral philosophy, the Epicureans argued that the avoidance of pain, inflicting it and experiencing it, and the enjoyment of harmless pleasures ought to guide human ‘choice and avoidance.’ Unlike the Stoics, they did not suppose that the human mind has unlimited power over the body; insofar as we are fully material beings, we act and suffer as one psycho-physical unity. They cautioned against excess, pointing out that that while eating, drinking, and sex are pleasurable and so to be enjoyed, moderation is called for. Overindulgence or imprudent choice brings on all manner of vexation, pain, social punishment, and remorse.
    He believed that there were 3 ingredients to happiness. Friends, Freedom, and an Analyzed life. He also believed that we needed to be self sufficient in our lives to procure happiness
  • Tom Storm
    Do any philosophers here have more input on what makes a good life worth living for and worth dying for ?invicta

I saw a t-shirt with a likeness of the Buddha on it. Underneath it said, 'Try not to be a cunt: The Buddha.' I think that's about as profound as I can get. I'm not a fan of system building or theory and I consider life to be without a fixed meaning, but since I know the experience of suffering and I seem hardwired (like most humans) for eusociality/empathy, I take a position that we ought to end or minimise suffering. Not being a cunt is a good first step.
  • 180 Proof
    I take a position that we ought to end or minimise suffering. Not being a cunt is a good first step.Tom Storm
    :up: :up:

What's my philosophy?" Don't be a fool (or an asshole) ...180 Proof
  • Tom Storm
    Comrade, you helped to remind me of this. :wink:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.