• invicta
    Let’s start with the golden rule which leads to a reciprocal relationship between two entites.

Scratch my back and I scratch yours kind of thing.

In this type of social exchange the benefits are mutual for both parties. So all well and good.

The dilemma here comes to the problem of Evil where one of the parties doesn’t hold their end of the bargain hence broken level of trust.

Throughout history this has lead to wars or even financial crashes with the medium to low income being hit the hardest by selfish bankrs who play with the finely balanced state of economic based nations

The question is can corporate or banking greed be stopped at all or should the government stay away from regulation.

In any case the Rich man will have so much money they won’t know what to do with it.

Question: what role should the government do to protect people on lower wages
  • TheMadMan

Just saying, the golden rule is a really bad rule.
    "Treat others as you would like to be treated."?
    A lot of times the way you would like to be treated is hell for me.
    One man's treasure is another man's trash.
    Silver rule is not perfect but its better in comparison :"Do not do unto others what you would not have them do unto you."
  • T Clark
    Let’s start with the golden rule which leads to a reciprocal relationship between two entites.

Scratch my back and I scratch yours kind of thing.

In this type of social exchange the benefits are mutual for both parties. So all well and good.
    invicta

The golden rule does not describe an "exchange of benefits." It's unilateral, a statement of personal value. You don't treat people fairly or kindly for benefit, you do it because it is the right way to treat people.

The dilemma here comes to the problem of Evil where one of the parties doesn’t hold their end of the bargain hence broken level of trust.invicta

Treating people badly doesn't mean you're evil, it means you're an asshole.

The question is can corporate or banking greed be stopped at all or should the government stay away from regulation.

In any case the Rich man will have so much money they won’t know what to do with it.

Question: what role should the government do to protect people on lower wages
    invicta

Most regulation is put in place to benefit the interests of propertied people - rich people and businesses. The banking system couldn't work without banking regulations. Airlines couldn't make money without the air traffic control system. The radio and television industry could not operate without FCC regulations. Arguably, the most fundamental regulations of all are those related to property rights. For them what's got, the only problem with regulations is when they help or protect them what's not.

There are very few institutions that can effectively stand up against other large institutions and the interests of property owners to protect those with little power. The government is indispensable in that role.
  • javi2541997
    Treating people badly doesn't mean you're evil, it means you're an asshole.T Clark

There are some people who treat others badly because they enjoy doing so. For example: compulsive and manipulative liars. In my own view, there is a lot of "evil" in such an act. I think being an asshole is more related to a lack of basic morals and education.
  • T Clark
    There are some people who treat others badly because they enjoy doing so. For example: compulsive and manipulative liars. In my own view, there is a lot of "evil" in such an act. I think being an asshole is more related to a lack of basic morals and education.javi2541997

I'll revise my statement - Treating people badly doesn't necessarily mean you're evil, it means you're an asshole
  • invicta
    Very good point from the t clark javi and themadman

@TheMadMan @javi2541997

Thank you for offering different insight …indeed how one should conduct himself in society is to live by high ideals and set a good example to impressionable youth. After all we live in planet where selfish interests of a faction can destroy whole habitats.

The entrepreneurial spirit of many tends to disregard natural wonders and they cut down trees to make clearances for human rather than animal habitats.

The indigenous rights of earlier settlers must somehow be defended to ultimately become an equilibrium between the various parties
  • TheMadMan

Broadly speaking there are two perspectives of humanity on earth:
    1. Humans are above nature so they must conquer and control it.
    2. Humans are part of nature and should collaborate with it.

I'm not sure to what extent this is true but it seems that religious/spiritual traditions have played a role on people's attitude towards nature.
    For example, Shintoism of old Japan or Animism of the Native Americans where everything is filled with spirit in contrast with Christianity where man is divorced from nature.
  • javi2541997
    I'll revise my statement - Treating people badly doesn't necessarily mean you're evil, it means you're an assholeT Clark

I did understand your statement, but what I wanted to also say is the fact that there are some people who enjoy treating bad others. That is evil rather than asshole.
  • javi2541997
    The entrepreneurial spirit of many tends to disregard natural wonders and they cut down trees to make clearances for human rather than animal habitats.invicta

In this case, that is an act of selfishness not evil. If those entrepreneurs enjoy destroying the environment, then they will be both selfish and evil.
  • invicta

I would argue it is but hey if someone was to build over your garden you wouldn’t like it do you?

Whatever the aims of large corporations may be, continued growth to shareholders etc and money is used to bribe their government then that is corruption,

We need forests not displacement of natives although there could be compromise
  • invicta
    On the question of wages that’s complicated as there’s inflation involved, sometimes even a runway effect. The reduction of buying power keeps inflation in check
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.