• Michael
    Do I need to be European?Heister Eggcart

Hanover ain't. Neither is StreetlightX, as far as I'm aware. Not sure about andrewk.
  • Baden
    Why was Hanover given moderator powers? Has he even used them?Heister Eggcart

I wouldn't worry. Up until today he didn't even know how to delete a post.
  • Jamal
    I think AK is Australian.
  • Michael
    I wouldn't worry. Up until today he didn't even know how to delete a post.Baden

This is why we don't usually let right-wing Americans be moderators. All this fancy technology is too complicated for them.
  • Baden

We need to introduce tutorials or something now that we're getting all diverse and stuff. ;)
  • Michael
    So 2 Aussies, 2 English, 1 American, 1 Welsh, 1 Danish (?) and... what nationality are you? I know you live in Spain, but you're not Spanish are you?
  • Baden

Danish?? I'm Irish. Maybe you mean Benkei who's Dutch and no longer a mod. Anyway 5:3 Europe : Non-Europe. Not a huge imbalance, I'd say.
  • Buxtebuddha
    I wouldn't worry. Up until today he didn't even know how to delete a post.Baden

I'm not worrying, just curious. Unsurprised that you ignored my question, >:O
  • Michael
    Danish?? I'm Irish. Maybe you mean Benkei who's Dutch and no longer a mod. Anyway 5:3 Europe : Non-Europe. Not a huge imbalance, I'd say.Baden

Saw your location was Elsinore, made a wrong assumption.
  • Jamal
    you're not Spanish are you?Michael

I'm Scottish.
  • Baden

Don't expect an answer to any question that puts me in the position of having to compliment Hanover..
  • Buxtebuddha
    If Hanover doesn't moderate posts, why is he a moderator??? I smell cronyism >:o
  • Baden

Don't know. Can we fire him for laziness @jamalrob?
  • Jamal
    Hanover is on the team primarily for his sage advice.
  • Streetlight
    I propose we make this the new site banner

communist_battle_banner_by_party9999999-d875xw2.png

Gulag for anyone who disagrees.
  • Baden

Second the motion. Never liked this blue theme either...
  • Mongrel
    Flee Agustino! There's nothing but assholes here.
  • Hanover
    It was. I wasn't necessarily saying that the mods knowingly pick on right-wingers for being right-wing (apart from Empty), but that 1) their political views may influence some of their moderating subconsciously and 2) it is interesting to note the fact that all the mods appear to be irreligious lefties in one way or another. How did that happen?Thorongil

What you should realize is (1) any forum dedicated to the humanities will likely be left leaning, (2) any English speaking site that doesn't originate from certain areas of the US will likely be left leaning, and (3) the right is no more tolerant than the left, meaning that expect stupidity to be banned regardless of political affiliation.

While I do consider myself a part of the right (especially when lined up against most on this site), I am far less tolerant of the nonsense often presented on this site than are those commies you have finally exposed. That is, you'd do well to realize that certain right leaning folks owe their continued existence to someone other than me.

So, do please arrive at another theory to explain the deletions than bias. For example, perhaps the deletions are occurring because they are warranted.
  • unenlightened
    More importantly, I'm not Welsh. I just live here.
  • Thorongil
    (1) any forum dedicated to the humanities will likely be left leaningHanover

Perhaps.

(2) any English speaking site that doesn't originate from certain areas of the US will likely be left leaningHanover

Perhaps.

(3) the right is no more tolerant than the leftHanover

Debatable. The idea, however, is that a diversity of views will decrease abuse, not that the right is immaculately tolerant.

So, do please arrive at another theory to explain the deletions than bias. For example, perhaps the deletions are occurring because they are warranted.Hanover

I just threw the fact out there, and I was careful not to make any explicit causal claims, so please don't straw man me. The deletions may be warranted or unwarranted, but the fact that the mods here have roughly the same views is problematic and might possibly have contributed to how the site is moderated (which is definitely true in the case of Empty). This ought to be puzzling and slightly concerning to anyone who frequents the forum and of any political/religious persuasion.
  • Hanover
    Don't know. Can we fire him for laziness jamalrob?Baden

I do feel I've been a bit lazy. If I ban you, will that be enough work for the day to keep me aboard?
  • Thorongil
    Gulag for anyone who disagrees.StreetlightX

Oh boy, what a knee slapper! I mention the fact, in all seriousness, that almost all the mods are on the left, and what do those mods do? Laugh it off with sarcastic quips instead of addressing the claim.
  • Agustino
    Is there a reason why moderators are turning this thread into a comedy? When there's no other escape, make a joke about it. That's part of the art of war afterall.

Around a month after, actually.Michael
    Yeah, that's a very big difference.

If we don't bring on more mods with different perspectives, we lack diversity; if we do, it's just a ploy to trick people into thinking we want more diversity.Baden
    Hanover isn't very different. He agrees with the other moderators on a lot of things, including, for that matter, religion. If you made someone like Mariner moderator, I could understand. But Hanover? Give me a break. That's obvious as the sun in the sky!

Why was Hanover given moderator powers?Heister Eggcart
    Let me tell you the politically incorrect answer. They've tried to ban Agustino, and there weren't enough moderators supporting that decision. I would release the PM from one of the moderators, except that he would be placed in an unfair position if I unveiled who it was.

So there was not enough support. When it failed, they've decided to bring in someone else, in preparation. Who best to bring but someone who has publicly stated that he wants Agustino to get banned?

As they say, bad facts make bad law, meaning the best way to get a bad rule change is to have the rule maker be confronted with a bad set of facts. I can't say that I've read the exemplar thread cited in this thread, but, from what I've gathered, there were some really bad posts in it, and the mods finally had to arrive at a way to bring that under control, and there's now some concerned with the precedent set by those decisions. If I've gotten that right, then, yeah, we have some bad law created by the bad facts.

But, let's stop really being so complicated about this, with all our talk about rules, precedent, clear moderating rules, bad facts, and bad law. The problem most often comes down to someone. Get rid of that someone and we no longer have all these complicated problems.

The reference was made to Paul and how he handled things. He not only didn't have rules, but he expressed a disdain for rules. What he did was sort of decide, based upon what he thought was right and wrong, and just banned people unapologetically.

Do that.
    — Hanover

I'd like a feature that allows the rank and file to ban other members from this site. My feeling is that if the general public can be trusted not to pull the emergency brake in the subway, not to pull the fire alarm in public places, and not to play with publically available defibrillators, then we can be trusted not to misuse our power here. — Hanover
    This vindictive guy isn't fit to be a moderator, and anyone can see that.

So, do please arrive at another theory to explain the deletions than bias. For example, perhaps the deletions are occurring because they are warranted.Hanover
    When has a moderator EVER admitted to have been wrong and acted out of line? Never? Apparently, you guys never make mistakes. And you're always jumping to defend each other.
  • Michael
    More importantly, I'm not Welsh. I just live here.unenlightened

Uh, so that makes three immigrants on the staff. No wonder the right-wing posters are so against the mod team.
  • Michael
    Is there a reason why moderators are turning this thread into a comedy?Agustino

I'm pretty sure the majority of non-philosophical threads turn into comedy.

Might be because so many of us are left-leaning and the left demonstrably has more humour than the right. ;)
  • Hanover
    The deletions may be warranted or unwarranted, but the fact that the mods here have roughly the same views is problematic and might possibly have contributed to how the site is moderated (which is definitely true in the case of Empty).Thorongil

Except I don't roughly have the same views as any other moderator on here. I voted for Trump after all. I know that's an odd fact I have to throw out to gain credibility. If I'm on the left, I'd hate to see what the right looks like.

And for the record, rants about the horrors of masturbation are neither rightist or leftist. They're just fucked up beyond repair. Just one man's opinion I guess.
  • Agustino
    Yeah great, at least everyone can see with what lack of seriousness concerns regarding the way the site is run are met with.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.