• Agent Smith
    You rang?schopenhauer1

:lol: Only to inform you how right you are! I hope you weren't in the middle of something important. I'd hate to be a nuisance monsieur! Au revoir fellow traveller! Our non-grandchildren will not sing of our brave exploits! :lol:
  • schopenhauer1
    I hope you weren't in the middle of something important. I'd hate to be a nuisance monsieur!Agent Smith

We can regard our life as a uselessly disturbing episode in the blissful repose of nothingness.
    -Schopenhauer

Our non-grandchildren will not sing of our brave exploits! :lol:Agent Smith

This is true. Aggressive paternalism assumes life is good and necessary for someone else. It disregards suffering of another so that X goals are achieved. Indeed it is ends justifying means mentality and a deontological miscalculation.

I’m rambling perhaps as I have no context for which I was called but the thread is about ends justifying the means so I’m going with that.
  • Agent Smith
    I sympathize with yer overall weltanschauung mon ami! The ends justify the means! :snicker: :snicker:

Captain Leland Stottelmeyer:
    viewer discretion advised
    To hell with this! I'm outta here!
  • Xanatos
    If getting the lamp isn't guaranteed, then I certainly wouldn't be willing to kill anyone.

Really, the answer to the question as to whether the ends justify the means is "It depends".
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.