• Judaka
    Thought requires relevant points and interpretations are limited so as to be manageable. Numerous, complex experiences must be condensed into something of value if they're to be used as points. There are many opportunities within this process to arrange things so as to arrive at conclusions that suit us.

With specific word choices, we can neatly highlight what's to be focused on, and what's to be ignored. We can direct the attention of the listener towards seeing things in the way we're seeing them. Be that as it may, words have rules for their use and these meanings or rules are generally agreed to work. That's what's required for language to function after all, but although words have an agreed-upon meaning and agreed-upon rules for use, there's also room for interpretation and the rules have flexibility.

A circumstance may qualify to be described using a wide variety of words or phrases, which each select different aspects of that circumstance for emphasis, or highlight ways of interpreting present concepts. From the large array of available options we can choose from, their qualification or applicability not being in question, the patterns with which we select will establish how we process circumstances.

However, words or phrases that may technically qualify might be rejected by manipulating the process. For example, words like brave, loyal, innovative, ambitious, dependable, and conscientious might be words that could be used to describe a hypothetical human trafficker. Nevertheless, we hate human traffickers, so we're definitely not going to use any of those words which paint this scumbag in a positive light. We'll bring up evidence that supports negative descriptions, deny evidence that supports positive descriptions and emphasise the negatives.

There are also words that are seemingly designed to have double standards such as brainwashing. A necessarily negative word, which you'd mostly only use to describe something you didn't like. It wouldn't be appropriate to call merely teaching one's child to follow certain political beliefs brainwashing, but if it's a racist or hateful ideology then it's brainwashing. Teaching one's child one's faith is fine, but if the faith is radical and violent then it's brainwashing. Brainwashing can't be good, so even if something should technically be able to be called brainwashing, if it's good or permissible then it can't be, so we need to figure out a way to make sure it isn't.

Our arguments which are built upon words, and the description of things, are all biased by the word choices we made before we even got to that point. So, what's the solution? There definitely isn't one.

Firstly, this practice is socially enforced, so even if you did decide to start labelling human traffickers using language in a supposedly unbiased way, your peers will tear you apart for doing it. If you try to call innocuous activities "brainwashing", you're going to start losing friends. Secondly, there are simply too many possibilities for use, and you can't work with them all, so you need some selection process. I think it's definitely valid to argue that one selection process is superior to another, but not that it won't be biased.

In summary, we will choose our words based on our feelings and intent, in an unavoidable process that necessarily biases our perspective and conclusions. Subjects may vary in how greatly they're affected, and specific methods of reaching a conclusion also vary. And no, I don't feel threatened by this, I'm comfortable with asserting that opinions can have value while still being biased.
  • T Clark
    In summary, we will choose our words based on our feelings and intent, in an unavoidable process that necessarily biases our perspective and conclusions.Judaka

I think it would make more sense to say:

We will choose our words based on our feelings and intent, in an unavoidable process that necessarily biases reflects our perspective and conclusions.

Which is really the whole purpose of language.
  • Judaka

Those perspectives and conclusions are created within the environment established by our word choices which is the bias. By the time you're old enough for critical thinking, you've already established that environment. I think what you're talking about is covered in how I've described our word choices as being based on our feelings and intent, but your amendment completely changes the meaning of the sentence. If you would stick by it, how did you reach your current positions without needing to select your words first?
  • T Clark
    Those perspectives and conclusions are created within the environment established by our word choices which is the bias. By the time you're old enough for critical thinking, you've already established that environment.Judaka

You call it "bias" while I would call it "values." Perhaps this is an example of the phenomenon you are trying to describe.

If you would stick by it, how did you reach your current positions without needing to select your words first?Judaka

I don't think I understand the question. For me, the thought comes first, then the words. At least some cognitive scientists and psychologists agree with that.
  • Judaka

You call it "bias" while I would call it "values." Perhaps this is an example of the phenomenon you are trying to describe.T Clark

You're right, it is.

I don't think I understand the question. For me, the thought comes first, then the words. At least some cognitive scientists and psychologists agree with that.T Clark

I agree with you on that. I'm trying to create an image of perspective as a tower that's built brick by brick. Your words definitely are a result of your thinking, but then you'll use the words you've chosen in your future thinking, and that's where you'll be biased.
  • NOS4A2

The interplay between euphemism and dysphemism is an interesting subject in rhetoric, worthy of analysis. To avoid either, one might try to substitute it with a neutral phrase, but then again such neutrality might disguise the feelings and intents of the author, which may or may not be of some interest as well.
  • T Clark
    Your words definitely are a result of your thinking, but then you'll use the words you've chosen in your future thinking, and that's where you'll be biased.Judaka

This makes sense to me, although I still think "bias" is the wrong word.

This brings up a subject I've thought about quite a bit. It's at least peripherally relevant to the subject of this thread. Synonyms are words that theoretically mean the same thing, but in order to have any value, they have to have different uses, connotations. I often spend a lot of time looking for the word I want and I tend to use the thesaurus when I can't find just the one that feels right. Different synonyms can change the meaning of a sentence, sometimes in a subtle way, sometimes glaring, sometimes ironic. The one you choose can have just the kind of effect you are talking about.
  • Agent Smith
    Some words are better than others. For example I find "splendid" has more zest in it than "marvelous". Likewise "gloom" dials down your mood more than "sullen". There are many such words that seem very natural, rich in feeling, and to the point.

I recall this conversation (from my previous life as an expatriate in Mexico)

Choose your words carefully señor! — Mustachioed man, cigarette in mouth

:rofl:
  • Baden
    For example, words like brave, loyal, innovative, ambitious, dependable, and conscientious might be words that could be used to describe a hypothetical human trafficker. Nevertheless, we hate human traffickers, so we're definitely not going to use any of those words which paint this scumbag in a positive lightJudaka

Firstly, this practice is socially enforced, so even if you did decide to start labelling human traffickers using language in a supposedly unbiased way, your peers will tear you apart for doing it.Judaka

:up: A good example of this was when Bill Maher talking of the 9/11 hijackers said:

"Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly,"

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=102318&page=1

The response was as you described.

In summary, we will choose our words based on our feelings and intent, in an unavoidable process that necessarily biases our perspective and conclusions. Subjects may vary in how greatly they're affected, and specific methods of reaching a conclusion also vary. And no, I don't feel threatened by this, I'm comfortable with asserting that opinions can have value while still being biased.Judaka

Or others will do it for us. It can be interesting to pick apart media articles to watch how this plays out in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. E.g. The game of hide the agent: "There were thirteen civilian casualties in an explosion in Aleppo last night" (Our side did it). "Russian missiles have targeted an apartment block in Aleppo killing thirteen, including six women and three children" (their side did it).
  • god must be atheist
    For me, the thought comes first, then the wordsT Clark

Lucky you!! For me it's the opposite. Gots me into lotsa shite. (-:
  • Judaka

Yeah, your example is a good one. The US military is actually one of the more frustrating examples because criticism is so readily used as an attack on service people in a way that it wasn't intended to be. These word games are very common in politics as you've pointed out. Politics is probably an over-the-top example, especially in the US, where these games can be extremely ridiculous and exaggerated. Social media enforcement of wording has been infamous as well, the news is carefully wording things for pragmatic reasons, and there are many environments where this phenomenon has become exaggerated.

That's true, but consider thinking of the phenomenon in OP as a cascading effect, instead of just an isolated incident. It's intuitive based on our feelings to describe criminals by highlighting their negative characteristics, we do that and form a negative view of criminals. After years of doing this, how might that impact our opinions on, for example, rehabilitation versus punishment? Well, we've never allowed criminals to be characterised in any positive way, and only ever emphasised how evil and stupid they are, so that might bias us to think rehabilitation won't work or isn't worth trying.

It was never our intention to say rehabilitation can't work, and our words did reflect our feelings throughout, but we've still effectively biased ourselves here. Had we described criminals using more neutral language, we'd probably have a different perspective. That's a reductive and egregiously simplistic example, but hopefully, you can understand where I'm coming from.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.