• Agent Smith
    I mean is God eating us?

Why do I ask?

Well, we seem ok killing & consuming animals and that can only be for reasons that revolve around differences between humans and animals. Whatever these differences are, they're finite.

Now come to the difference between God and man - surely, as conceived in religions, God is infinitely greater than puny humans.

Now answer the question.
  • TheMadMan
    Relationship between humans and animals is material.
    Relationship between God and man (in cases where there is one) transcends matter.
    So one has to take God eating us as a metaphor.

Now answer the question.Agent Smith

It is an interesting metaphor but half complete, I would say.
    If God eats us, God must also give birth to us.
  • Agent Smith
    Can you complete the metaphor for me?

You might wanna look into the consequences of the point you made.
  • Agent Smith
    I didTheMadMan

I'm sorry but I don't see it. Can you be more explicit? Gracias.

It is quite interesting that you brought the issue of materialism up - animals, that includes us, are material, and then there's God. There's animals, there's us, there's God. You see anything intriguing in there?
  • TheMadMan
    Can you be more explicit?Agent Smith

Ah you are making me think. Its usually a drag.
    In my metaphor matter is not separated from God.
    If you want some entertaining picture:
    God eats us, secretes us, we become the humus,which the creates the fruit, we are the fruit, God eats the fruits, secretes it, and so on.

There's animals, there's us, there's God. You see anything intriguing in there?Agent Smith

Hmmmm. There is God. In it there's animals, there's us. They do not stand on the same ground.
  • Agent Smith

Nice! Is there any logic to this what appears to be a cycle of eating-secretion-eating-secreting-eating ... ad infinitum? It just is?
  • TheMadMan
    It just is.
    Logic applies to the limited not to the eternal.
  • Agent Smith
    That's on old game you're playing mon ami.
  • TheMadMan
    The truth, if true, is never old. For the old belongs in time whilst the truth, if true, is timeless.
  • Agent Smith
    The truth, if true, is never old. For the old belongs in time whilst the truth, if true, is timeless.TheMadMan

:up: So what you're saying is just an idea you had and nothing more. It just is!
  • TheMadMan
    When it is spoken, it is and idea. When experienced, it is the unspoken truth.

The wave function collapses into a particle.
    The word is the collapse of the Truth into a unit, thus turning it into 'just an idea'.
  • Nils Loc
    Pantheism = God is in all things

Relative distinctions then collapse or they're arbitrary with respect to God.

As I thrust the knife into my pig Marl's throat, I whispered: "Even God must end."

Later that week I smelled the rich scent of Marl's pork belly sizzling in God's pan.

"Oh God, why does the scent of bacon entice me to murder you, our kin?"

There was no answer but a mental picture of God enthralled in a terrifying bliss or horror of self-consumption.

"I felt disgust as I was eating Marl. She was God. And I was God. Together we are one, always eating one another in some form or another."

The disgust bloomed to a fever pitch of madness, whereupon I stabbed myself in the heart.

And now I am just a machine narrator (God), fleshless and free of sin, for the many happenstances of God.
  • Sir2u
    God eats us, secretes us, we become the humus,which the creates the fruit, we are the fruit, God eats the fruits, secretes it, and so on.TheMadMan

The very thought that we might be nought but god shite is something I I would rather not contemplate.
    :fear:
  • Agent Smith
    That's interesting. It just is. There's no reason why it just is, it just is. I could say the same thing you know. How would you respond?
  • Agent Smith
    Nice short short story. I just wanna make sense of nonvegetarianism, that's all. There are certain ideas at play that seem imply that God can eat us. @TheMadMan claims that the difference between God and us humans is not the same as that between us and animals. Do you agree?
  • TheMadMan

Yes you can say anything and then just add 'it just is'.

1. A sculpture of a pyramid is on my table.
    2. A sculpture of a pyramid made of diamond is on my table.
    3. The pyramid of Giza is on my table.

There are different levels of possibility-impossibility.
  • Agent Smith
    :ok: TheMadMan - you changed yer tune or was I not listening?
  • TheMadMan
    And yet you eat fruits and vegetables that is grown with the help of animal secretion.

"Eat the apple Eve and you shall be as God"
  • TheMadMan
    Care to elaborate on that question?
  • TheMadMan
    ¯\_( ͡• ‿‿ ͡•)_/¯
  • Nils Loc
    claims that the difference between God and us humans is not the same as that between us and animals. Do you agree?Agent Smith

In the absence of some doctrinal/textual/institutional authority that speaks of a special nature of God, we can make up any relation we want. Here we become anthropologists and have to decide which faith concerning "God" we'd like to study. We then can collect beliefs concerning this specific question.

But I have no real opinion, insofar as the question might as well be an exercise in pure imagination of what we'd prefer God to be like.

Though I suppose I'm a pantheist, who could've been a pig, and imagines that God suffers as we do under random assignment of an existential lottery. All beings are fundamentally more alike than they are different. We should struggle to minimize suffering, however absurdly futile that sometimes feels.
  • Agent Smith

Which is to say nonvegetarianism doesn't make sense and that given how scripture defines God, He is completely within his rights to eat us.
  • Nils Loc
    Which is to say nonvegetarianism doesn't make sene and that given how scripture defines God, He is completely within his rights to eat us.Agent Smith

Maybe your leaving out other scriptual/controversial/contradictory attributes of God that might clear up or further confuse this issue.

It might be, that given scripture, God doesn't make sense. Why are you assuming God needs to eat?

Why should it follow that because man is in the image of God, that God must eat? Why would God have organs if those organs represented a natural constraint/form of an animal? Mouths and anuses represent limits he need not abide by. Though to be honest I have no good traction on what scripture conveys God to be like.

Maybe, to be metaphorical, killing suffices God's Appetite (synonymous with his Will). He's allegedly done a lot of that.
  • Agent Smith

Don't the (scriptural) inconsistencies prove my point?
  • Sir2u
    And yet you eat fruits and vegetables that is grown with the help of animal secretion.TheMadMan

OK, that might be true to a certain extent. But that we are actually holy shit is a bit different.
  • TheMadMan
    The opposite is also true.

Jesus was God in man.
    Jesus said "The bread you eat is my body, the wine you drink is my blood"
    And what happens to the food humans eat?
    We secrete it.
    So humans secrete God.

You could say The Holy Ghost is the Divine Fart.
    The human fart is the Divine Spirit released.

The metaphor is coming together
    wouldn't you agree @Agent Smith ?
  • Agent Smith

:lol: Well, for the sake of all standup comedians out there, I hope so!

Danke!

It's taking shape, most definitely! :up:
  • Agent Smith
    God made us (re Christianity) in His image. I don't what's the deal with Hinduism - Vishnu took, as per vedic sources, the form of fish and a boar, and Ganesha has an elephant head (pace Xenophanes).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.