• Shawn
    I find myself confused, as perhaps many young people do when contemplating the existence of fictional entities such as Santa Claus in the real world.

I attempted treating the problem as a reference issue between fictional entities and common sense language, which G.E. Moore himself acknowledged the existence of concepts, things, and entities as genuine knowledge or having a feature of truth to them even if they aren't eminently manifest in reality.

The issue is most explicit when adopting the correspondence theory of reference. In the correspondence theory of reference, there is no truth-aptness of Santa Claus in the apparent world. He's simply an entity which we do not have any access to other than the historical claims or various descriptions of the entity in question. Now, the issue is more perplexing if we endow Santa Claus the ontological placeholder of living over at the North Pole with his reindeer. But, that's fiction, right? I mean, that he "lives" at the North Pole. He's not there, yet linguistically he is ontologically ascribed inhabiting the whereabouts of the North Pole.

Clearly, I'm running in circles, and leave it to the reader to explain in what sense does Santa Claus exist? How can we instantiate his existence over the North Pole, and yet knowingly, without doubt, know he doesn't exist?
  • I like sushi
    This is where I side with the Phenomenology of Husserl and stop worrying about such questions :D
  • RussellA
    I find myself confused, as perhaps many young people do when contemplating the existence of fictional entities such as Santa Claus in the real world.........Now, the issue is more perplexing if we endow Santa Claus the ontological placeholder of living over at the North Pole with his reindeer.Shawn

The North Pole, reindeer and "real" world are as "fictional" as Santa Claus if relations don't ontologically exist in a mind-independent world.

Santa Claus is said to be "fictional", yet in what way is the North Pole, reindeer and "real" world any less fictional.

Gilbert Ryle in his book The Concept of the Mind 1949 included an example illustrating that relations don't exist in the world but do exist in the mind, supporting the idea that relations don't have an ontological existence in the world. A visitor to Oxford upon viewing the colleges and library reportedly inquired "But where is the University ?". Ryle discussed the problem in terms of categories. There is the category 1 of "units of physical infrastructure", including those parts that are said to physically exist in the world independent of the visitor, colleges, library, etc., and there is category 2 "institution", including unseen relations between those physical parts, role in society, laws and regulations, etc. The visitor made the mistake of presuming that the "University" was part of category 1 rather than category 2.

My belief is that the North Pole, reindeer and "real" world are as "fictional" as Santa Claus, as I have yet to come across any persuasive argument that relations do ontologically exist in a mind-independent world.
  • Ansiktsburk
    Until the charming teacher in first grade informs you that "santa does not exist", runing you whole day, sometime 1969 .still remember it, not with much pleasure.
  • Benj96

For me Santa clause is a patriarchal figure that is omniscient and knows when all children are "naughty" or "nice" and checks that list twice (he's thorough and takes your most recent deeds into account so that you may always have the chance to get in his good books at any moment, even right on the Eve of Christmas before the day of judgement - and the proof, the evidence under the tree - a gift or a bag of coal tells you what he thought of you this year. Although I suspect not many children have ever been truly bad in his eyes (witnessed that bag of coal).

For someone to care about all children everywhere that they might feel blessed with gifts on Christmas, he seems like the absent third parent that, although illusive, has a Great Love for the innocent in society.

He only appears once a year, in secrecy, under the cover of darkness, no child has ever seen him do his Christmas day great works (except for a few minutes at a Santa's grotto maybe). He is inaccesible, existing at the furthest pole, the most barren void, the greatest reach, beyond us all.

He hurtles along at magical speeds, spreading out, almost rippling around the world, on the news, in the papers, his path followed by NASA, confirmed by the postal service which has a direct connection to his letter box, films, stories, songs and plays alike written about him, in reverence of him, known to all but never fully witnessed, having his elves (our actual parents) do his bidding for him - United by something that moves faster than any physical object can - Belief.
    Belief of all parents for their children's sake, belief acted out providing Santa's gift under the tree so that evidence of him can be reached, appreciated, by all children.

Santa is in a superposition of very convincingly real (to children) and well, not as much for adults, but amusing nonetheless - the sentiment is no less upheld despite that.

Santa has many parallels with other entities the adult world has written of and discussed at length many times over many millenia. And we can't shake the thought. Nor do we want to, for all the joy it brings not only to the lives of children but to those of the families that love them.
  • bongo fury
    I attempted treating the problem as a reference issue between fictional entities [...]Shawn

I mean, I'm guessing that didn't end well, as "fictional entity" is an oxymoron?
  • RussellA
    I mean, I'm guessing that didn't end well, as "fictional entity" is an oxymoron?bongo fury

Not according to the SEP article Fictional Entities, which write: "While London and Napoleon are not fictional entities, some have thought that the London of the Holmes stories and the Napoleon of War and Peace should be classed as special fictional entities."

Also not according to Alberto Voltolini in his book How Ficta Follow Fiction, A Syncretistic Account of Fictional Entities, where he wrote: " I present a genuinely ontological argument in favor of fictional entities. According to this argument, we have to accept fictional entities because they figure in the identity conditions of other entities that are already accepted, namely fictional works."
  • Manuel

The thing is you are assuming there is a reference relation between words and things. If there is no reference relation, the problem disappears, we have no trouble speaking about Santa Claus or Pegasus.

I don't think there is a reference relation between words and things. People refer, not words themselves.
  • bongo fury

Do you mean, these people deny that "fictional entity" is an oxymoron? Or that they have found that reasoning with oxymorons can end well?
  • bongo fury
    People refer, not words themselves.Manuel

But what do they refer to?
  • Manuel

All kinds of things, ranging from ideas to mythical creatures to a car outside the window and so on.

The act of referring to a specific thing is one of many things we do when we talk. In a normal conversation we do all kinds of things, including showing emotions, laughing, talking with no particular goal in mind.

And then you have the politician, who can spend an hour talking and not saying anything, much less referring to an event or anything of substance.
  • RussellA
    Do you mean, these people deny that "fictional entity" is an oxymoron - or that they have found that reasoning with oxymorons can end well?bongo fury

In the sense that fictional is not necessarily contradictory to entity.
  • bongo fury
    The act of referring to a specific thingManuel

So we're back where we started. Among this subset of the things we do with language, the acts of referring to specific things, are there acts of referring to specific non-things?
  • Manuel

I don't see why Santa Claus would be a "non-thing". It's a mental construction of a person in a red dress living in the North Pole, that's a thing - though it lacks concrete existence in the world.

I mean, most of the words we use all the time, even right now, aren't referring to anything.

Sometimes, we refer as when we speak of that car the ran through a red light or this cool moment in a novel. What's the problem? A "thing" must be concrete? Well, most of the universe isn't. We can't see quarks, but few physicists would say these are "non-things".

In another sense, one can do experiments that show the existence of quarks. Not so with Santa Claus. Neither are concrete.

Yet people speak about Santa Claus all the time, so the issue of the alleged difficulty does not arise, if one drops word-object obligations.
  • Shawn
    My belief is that the North Pole, reindeer and "real" world are as "fictional" as Santa Claus, as I have yet to come across any persuasive argument that relations do ontologically exist in a mind-independent world.RussellA

My belief is later stated in the OP, that somehow through language we can ascribe ontological placeholders to fictional entities such as Pegasus or Santa Claus. I find this feature of instantiation of imaginary objects perplexing in language. But that's how ordinary language works to my surprise.
  • Shawn
    I mean, I'm guessing that didn't end well, as "fictional entity" is an oxymoron?bongo fury

Clearly language goes on holiday whenever we try and actually do that kind of stuff. What are your thoughts about instantiation and ontological ascription such as the case with Pegasus or Santa?
  • bongo fury
    I don't see why Santa Claus would be a "non-thing". It's a mental construction of a person...Manuel

So Santa is the thought? Or the person thought about? Or both, or neither?
  • Manuel

Depends on the context. If you know the mythology behind Santa Claus and want to explain it to somebody, you could say that Santa would be the person thought about.

If you are merely saying that Santa brought gifts, then Santa would be the thought, or so it can be argued.

We don't have a clear notion of what a thought even is.

But generally speaking, this distinction is more semantic than substantive.
  • bongo fury

I'm with Quine. And Goodman. Words often refer to (or are pretended to refer to, in acts of referring, which are only a game) actual things. Sometimes they fail to refer directly to actual things. Because there's no such thing. That doesn't stop them referring indirectly (but only indirectly) to other things. E.g. to actual Santa stories and pictures, and actual beardy old men.
  • bongo fury
    But generally speaking, this distinction is more semantic than substantive.Manuel

What distinction? That between a thought and what it's a thought about? You've lost me. My thought about Hitler isn't substantively different from Hitler?
  • bongo fury
    In the sense that fictional is not necessarily contradictory to entity.RussellA

Fair enough. Do they say that non-actual is not necessarily contradictory to actual?
  • Shawn

I think that's quite stringent. Santa isn't an individual and yet is in the domain of discourse. So, what can one do about that?
  • javi2541997
    Santa isn't an individual and yet is in the domain of discourseShawn

What do you mean when you say Santa is not an individual? you want to say that Santa is a common subterfuge.
  • Shawn

Santa doesn't denote a person in the world, and yet is treated as if he is an individual in the domain of discourse.
  • bongo fury
    I think that's quite stringent.Shawn

The indirect reference to Santa stories and pictures and actual beardy old men is fairly free, isn't it?

Santa isn't an individualShawn

Do you mean there is no actual person answering to the usual descriptions and hence named by the relevant tokens of the word "Santa"? (Good.)

and yet is in the domain of discourse.Shawn

Well perhaps you are talking here about the name "Santa" (or relevant tokens of it), and not some corresponding person? "Santa" is a name appearing in a declaration of the domain of discourse?
  • RussellA
    My belief is later stated in the OP, that somehow through language we can ascribe ontological placeholders to fictional entities such as Pegasus or Santa Claus. I find this feature of instantiation of imaginary objects perplexing in language. But that's how ordinary language works to my surprise.Shawn

I can point to any set of words within a language and give the set a name.

For example, I can point to {"creator", "universe"} and give it the name "godlike".
    I can point to {"winged", "godlike", "stallion"} and give it the name "Pegasus".

Also, I can point to {"tree", "snake"} and give it the name "trake"
    I can point to {"trake", "invisible", "orange"} and give it the name "trakinor"

"Trakinor" is now a placeholder to the fictional entity trakinor, an invisible orange tree-snake. "Trakinor" has instantiated the imaginary object trakinor.

Is it really the case that naming a set of words is perplexing.
  • RussellA
    Fair enough. Do they say that non-actual is not necessarily contradictory to actual?bongo fury

I doubt it. Not-A cannot be A, but an entity can be fictional.
  • NOS4A2

The language regarding Santa Clause exists but he is unable to manifest beyond it. That’s the difficulty with all abstract concepts and universals. There is no referent. The word refers to other words, or to people who are not Santa. Language exists, certainly, but Santa does not.
  • bongo fury
    I can point to {"winged", "godlike", "stallion"} and give it the name "Pegasus".RussellA

But Pegasus flies. Your set of words doesn't.
  • Shawn
    Do you mean there is no actual person answering to the usual descriptions and hence named by the relevant tokens of the word "Santa"?bongo fury

Yes.

"Santa" is a name appearing in a declaration of the domain of discourse?bongo fury

Is it? I don't think Santa qualifies in the domain of discourse as an individual. Yet, we can instantiate him freely in movies, towards children and anywhere else.

My point, if you will, is if we can freely refer to Santa then what is it that allows us to instantiate him ontologically in the domain of discourse?
  • Shawn
    Is it really the case that naming a set of words is perplexing.RussellA

No, that's not the point here. What I'm referring to is the fact that Pegasus or Santa doesn't exist in the world, maybe perhaps Meinongs jungle, but we refer to him as if he does.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.