• Banno
    A valuable and erudite addition to our proceedings, ... :brow:

(The emoji is for our American friends).
  • Janus
    Hey, 180 Proof, what's that word for defining something by talking about what it's not?T Clark

Why do you want to know, Apophatboy?
  • T Clark
    Why do you want to knowJanus

Maybe that's the best way of defining irony - by talking about what it's not.T Clark
  • Janus
    Take a walk on the wild side.Banno

Or take a dork in the backside...

Why do you want to know — Janus

Maybe that's the best way of defining irony - by talking about what it's not.
    T Clark

In case it didn't sink in the term you asked about is 'apophatic'. Not to be confused with crakaphatic.
  • Hanover
    A valuable and erudite addition to our proceedings, ↪Hanover... :brow:

(The emoji is for our American friends).
    Banno

I'd categorize this as somewhere between playful and derisive, as you are aware of my lack of seriousness, but you probably do have some level of feeling actual Aussie superiority. Based upon that, I can't call it ironic. If it were ironic, that would indeed be ironic, as we'd have never expected a non-Jew to be ironic to a Jewish person.

Another word beyond irony, sarcastic, sardonic, and derisive we might all consider is "ornery." That's more a general description of the general disposition of old men that comes out in their humor, which often times isn't meant so much to be funny, but it is.

And to add to the never ending pile of terms here, that is what I call self-deprecation, with a misplaced sense of self-awareness, which makes it funny in a different kind of way, like "why would you be ornery if you know you're being ornery"? It's a good question, but it's a thing. I'd call that observational humor maybe, invoking Seinfeld. another member of the tribe.
  • frank

Harry Houdini was Jewish. Does that help?
  • Tom Storm
    I think he may have lacked irony...
  • 180 Proof
    Hey, 180 Proof, what's that word for defining something by talking about what it's not?T Clark
    Apophasis (e.g. apophatic theology).
  • T Clark
    Apophasis180 Proof

Thanks. I remember you talking about it before.

Why do you want to know, Apophatboy?Janus

Yes, that went over my head till you clarified. Thanks.
  • unenlightened
    Irony means the opposite of what it means, unless it is being used ironically, when it should be understood without irony.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet