• god must be atheist
    you would be a slave of god.SpaceDweller

And the god that is claimed to be all benevolent, good and graceful... why would being a slave to him be bad? You've never had it so good as being a slave to god.

But if it's bad, then it's god that is evil.
  • god must be atheist
    just go out ask 10 random people "would you like your free will to be taken away from you?"SpaceDweller

They would say "no, I don't want it taken away from me", but if I explain to them that a world of love, harmony, pleasure, abundance of good things and happiness is possible and everlasting in that world, then I'm sure they will say "sure, take that thing away from me."
  • SpaceDweller
    And the god that is claimed to be all benevolent, good and graceful... why would being a slave to him be bad?god must be atheist
    god which gives free will is more benevolent than god which doesn't give free will.
    thus god which gives free will is superior to god which doesn't.
    and god is a superior being.
  • god must be atheist
    god which gives free will is more benevolent than god which doesn't give free will.SpaceDweller

you must substantiate this. You haven't convinced me yet that a world full of evil is better than a world with no evil.

Please substantiate the above claim.
  • SpaceDweller
    you must substantiate this. You haven't convinced me yet that a world full of evil is better than a world with no evil.god must be atheist

perfectly benevolent god and evil world is better than less perfect or evil god and good world.
    one reason why is that if there is imperfect god then this means there exists god which is superior thus leading again to god which gives free will, a good god.
  • god must be atheist
    perfectly benevolent god and evil world is better than less perfect or evil god and good world.SpaceDweller

A.. maybe. B. try "benevolent god and benevolent world." You left out this permutation, for no reason at all, but maybe? in order to be able to maintain a modicum of reasonable argument.
  • god must be atheist
    I think you are stuck on "free will is better than no free will". That is 1. not true and 2. I don't understand why you don't consider the arguments against it, which are so very reasonable.

Maybe in your traditional upbringing it was imperative to think that, but when logic and everyone you ask says no, becasue a world with people who have no free will is the better one, then you incredulously reject all arguments, since your upbringing indeluably imprinted this free-will love for your.

Believe me, there is nothing good in free will, when in a world in which free will is the only source of evil.
  • SpaceDweller

it's simple because you need to start from god or definition of god.

god is perfect and not inferior in anything (otherwise it's inferior god and thus not god)
    god which gives free will is more benevolent than one which doesn't.

then the rest follows based on that premise.
  • SpaceDweller
    A.. maybe. B. try "benevolent god and benevolent world."god must be atheist

is therefore not logically possible in this context.
  • Agent Smith
    God is the creator!
  • god must be atheist
    is therefore not logically possible in this context.SpaceDweller

Only if you insist on free will as unavoidable. Whereas free will is unnecessary, creates evil, and it is the worst thing that had befallen on man.
  • jorndoe
    Man was given instruction to produce children in a sacred covenant of marriage and to live simply without extravagance. We chose (someone and enough did somewhere up the line) to overproduce, to try to become gods of this planet with machines and technology that produce all kinds of lethal and harmful things to us ie. hazardous byproducts, radiation, air contaminants, you name it, wage war on others for worldly purposes and visit places we were not meant to be (could be radioactive land, places at risk for natural disasters, etc), as well as change the way man was meant to live by social practices whose effects on society are still largely unknown (some people are on the computer or the XBOX staring at a screen for days or even weeks on end without seeing another soul- that can't be good?)Outlander

Well, the Bible says lots of things.

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. — Genesis 1:28
    And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein. — Genesis 9:7
    One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. — Ecclesiastes 1:4

This part isn't quite right:

Man was given instruction to [...]Outlander

Non-Christians did and do outnumber Christians; Christians were and are outnumbered by detractors. The Biblical Yahweh somehow forgot to properly inform the majority of humanity. Instead, some were somehow informed by Dreamtime, Ahura Mazda, Shiva, etc, and some weren't. (These days, it seems commonly said that Allah informed Gabriel informed Muhammad informed ... or something.)
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.