• Michael
    Been PM for a couple of weeks and already starting with a disastrous economic policy that's apparently prompted Conservative MPs to start sending in letters of no confidence.

And Boris is favourite to retake the position!

Fucking Tories. When can the public just vote them out and we can get some sanity back in Government.
  • Baden
    State they can't afford inflation-matching pay rises for public sector workers but borrow a ton of money (while interest rates skyrocket on repayments) to give the rich a massive tax cut > Respond to the markets subsequently fleeing sterling due to said bonkers policy by asking them to be nice.

Something's got to give. I expect the path of destruction will go: Sterling, the economy, house prices, and only then, the Tories.
  • Michael
    State they can't afford inflation-matching pay rises for public sector workers but borrow a ton of money (while interest rates skyrocket on repayments) to give the rich a massive tax cut > Respond to the markets subsequently fleeing sterling due to said bonkers policy by asking them to be nice.Baden

It's always about helping the rich stay rich (or get richer) at the expense of everything else. The lie of trickle-down economics. People are going to starve and freeze because a minority want to buy a fifth house.
  • I like sushi
    ‘Sanity’? Nice joke :D
  • Baden

Tories are usually a bit more subtle about their social engineering. But this is the Liz Truss who thinks you plebs don't show enough graft. Maybe the idea is a choice of graft or freeze.

Btw, now the BoE is buying bonds to stop interest rates getting completely out of control. Sounds OK until you realize what that will further do to the value of Sterling. Below dollar parity by Christmas is my bet.
  • I like sushi
    I think it would make more sense to let public decide who leads the party … seems bizarre that the last two candidates standing were probably the worst two.

I heard a lot of interest from friends and family in Nadhim Zahawi.
  • Ying
    The lie of trickle-down economics.Michael

This. The whole idea has been debunked for decades now, so it's not even a lie at this point. It's just piss.
  • Michael
    But this is the Liz Truss who thinks you plebs don't show enough graft.Baden

But having a stock broker who invests your inheritance, or collecting rent from your tenants, is a shining example of a working man.
  • Michael
    And before anyone decides to talk about "taxation is theft": Fine. It's theft. And it's a very simple trolley problem; either steal from the rich or let the poor suffer. Easy choice.

Robin Hood for PM.
  • javi2541997
    I think it would make more sense to let public decide who leads the party …I like sushi

That's would represent a real democratic system!
  • Michael
    I think it would make more sense to let public decide who leads the partyI like sushi

That's would represent a real democratic system!javi2541997

Like, I don't know, a General Election? And with something like alternative vote or proportional representation? Labour have recently committed to the latter.
  • Manuel
    Truss reminds me of a remark Christopher Hitchens made about David Cameron:

Q: What do you think about David Cameron?

A: He doesn't make me think.

Except that Truss has a genocidal streak to her. My, with leaders like these, who needs villains?
  • javi2541997

I don't know the solution neither. But the system is flawed when the leaders of each party are not elected by the people but the few who are part of the political arena. For example: you vote for Labour, but... who chooses the person who would run for the presidency? Here is when the problem starts.
  • Michael
    Truss reminds me of a quote Christopher Hitchens once made about David Cameron:

Q: What do you think about David Cameron?

A: He doesn't make me think.
    Manuel

That's from Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead.

Toohey: Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us.
    Roark: But I don't think of you.
  • Michael
    For example: you vote for Labourjavi2541997

Well, we vote for a person, not a party.

but... who chooses the person who would run for the presidency?javi2541997

We don't have a President.
  • Manuel

Ha! One good line in that horrible book! Ironic that Hitchens hated her.

Not that Hitchens was exemplary, far from it, towards the last part of his life. But it's a good quote, and its applicable to a decent range of world leaders, imo.

Britain has been having disaster after disaster since Brexit. Truss is just next in line...
  • javi2541997
    Well, we vote for a person, not a party.Michael

Who decides (or chooses) that person previously to go to the polls? I don't see we are allowed to choose between one member or another. For example: What leader of Labour do you want to run for presidency in the next elections? A) Jeremy Corbin. B ) Keir Starmer. Choose one of the candidates.
    Well, we can't take part in such decision because one or the other are elected by their affiliates.

We don't have a President.Michael

Prime Minister, whatever... I see the same problem in both Republic and Monarchy. I live in a kingdom and it is similar the process of elections.
  • Michael
    The cynic in me thinks that this is all one big con. Short the pound, announce idiotic economic policy, profit (already done), go long on the pound, announce reversal, profit.
  • Baden

Yes, was thinking of shorting but you never know what they'll do next. The volatility is ridiculous. Moving like a meme coin :lol:
  • unenlightened

I assumed the game has been from the beginning (of Brexit) to bankrupt the country and then move to Panama.
  • Michael
    I tried with Trading212 using practice money. Lost more than I won. Decided to then do the opposite of what I wanted to do. Lost more than I won. It's rigged, I tell you, rigged!
  • Baden
    I tried with Trading212Michael

That's what I use. I just lost a tenner because of the international cabal that watches me when I press a button and makes the market move the other way. :sad:
  • unenlightened
    Please stop pressing buttons!
  • I like sushi
    Labour have recently committed to the latter.Michael

Shame they didn’t back it when Lib Dems tried to make it happen. Maybe because the Lib Dems were basically the true opposition for decades in terms of proportional representation.

The campaign waged against proportional representation was taken on by both Labour and Conservatives AND set back the Lib Dems very, very, very far sadly. Imagine a choice between three parties … would at least increase the odds that one of them might not be so bad.

The public is mainly to blame to though. Too many people want to hear make believe policies above the harsh reality.

Anyway, I don’t live there anymore and have no intention to in the future. Good luck
  • 180 Proof
    "It's morally repugnant! ... Liz Truss' government doesn't care ... Help the rich! Fuck the poor!"
  • Michael
    Shame there’s not a GE till Jan ‘25.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.