• ThinkOfOne
    With the "What are you listening to" thread dominated by rock/pop, thought it might be worth giving this a try.

For the purposes of this thread creative music (both improvised and composed) that grew out of jazz and classical are included. Music that grew out of rock/pop are excluded.

Clusone Trio "Love Henry"
    Brad Mehldau "Elegiac Cycle"
    Jeanne Lee and Ran Blake "The Newest Sound Around"
    Duke Ellington "Such Sweet Thunder"
    Chang/Davies/Drouin/Durrant/Patterson/Tilbury "Variable Formations"
  • Jamal
    The other thread has plenty of music that's not rock and pop. Maybe you've just been looking at the last few pages.

Be that as it may, I was just listening to "The Creator has a Master Plan" by Pharaoh Sanders.
  • ThinkOfOne
    The other thread has plenty of music that's not rock and pop. Maybe you've just been looking at the last few pages.

Be that as it may, I was just listening to "The Creator has a Master Plan" by Pharaoh Sanders.
    Jamal

Seems to be dominated by rock/pop regardless. Hopefully there'll be folks who have jazz and/or classical as their primary interest.

Had never listened to the Sanders. Thanks for posting it.
    Jeri Brown enlisted Leon Thomas for a vocal duet version if you're interested.
  • ThinkOfOne
    Julliard String Quartet - "The Four String Quartets"
    Elliott Carter

Teodoro Anzellotti "Janacek"
    Leos Janacek piano works arranged for accordion

Barbara Hannigan / Reinbert de Leeuw "Socrate"
    Erik Satie compositions

Yuko Yamaoka "Diary 2005-2015"
    Satoko Fujii compostional sketches

Maneri / Morris / Maneri "Three Men Walking"
  • ThinkOfOne
    Daunik Lazro / Joelle Leandre "Hasparren"

Cecil Taylor "Celebrated Blazons"
    William Parker
    Tony Oxley

Horace Silver "The Jody Grind"

Leos Janacek "String Quartets / Violin Sonata"
    Prazak Quartet

Max Reger "Cello Suites"
    Guido Schiefen
  • SophistiCat

György Ligeti: Requiem : II Kyrie

The other movements:
    Reveal

Alfred Schnittke: Piano Quintet

(yeah, I am not in a cheery mood)
  • ThinkOfOne

Nice selections.

Never thought about not being in a cheery mood to listen to the Schnittke piano quartet. Works for me in whatever mood.
  • ThinkOfOne
    Gerald Cleaver "Farmers by Nature"
    William Parker
    Craig Taborn

Luis Vicente / Vasco Trilla "A Brighter Side of Darkness"

Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Village Vanguard"

Benny Carter "Jazz Giant"

Max Reger "Sonatas for Solo Violin"
    Ulrike-Anima Mathe
  • ThinkOfOne
    Marian McPartland Trio "Personal Choice"

Urs Leimgruber "Statement of an Antirider"
    Solo sax / flute

Grigori Frid "Piano Quintet / Phadra"
    Elisaveta Blumina
    Vogler Quintet
  • Paine
    I have had a long relationship with this bit of music. I like this version because it underscores the dissonance with the harmony.

• SophistiCat
    Max Reger "Cello Suites"ThinkOfOne

Max Reger "Sonatas for Solo Violin"ThinkOfOne

I see you like Max Reger - or just exploring? Like most, probably, I am not very familiar with his quite voluminous output. Hadn't heard these works before. Bach's cello suites and violin sonatas and partitas are my favorites, so I was curious about Reger's take. I liked them a lot, especially the cello suites. But I must say, I like Reger best when he is writing more as Reger and less as ersatz Bach.

On a related note, one of my favorites from the same period:

And its companion piece:
    Reveal

And more early Ligeti:
  • ThinkOfOne

Compared to jazz and its derivatives, my exposure to classical and its derivatives is fairly limited. Heavily weighted toward the 20th and 21st century. The modern ideas are more interesting to me. Earlier than that its mostly the various combinations of strings and strings plus piano. Especially like the Bach sonatas and partitas for solo violin and the Beethoven late string quartets. They seem to have modern elements. Reger for the same reason. Other particular favorites from prior to postmodernism are Satie, Bartok, Shostakovich and Weinberg. Less so, Tartini, Paganini, Ysaye and others. What about you?
  • ThinkOfOne
    Gyorgy Ligeti "The Ligeti Project III"

Evan Parker / Eddie Prevost "Tools of imagination"

The Sealed Knot "Twenty"
    Rhodri Davies
    Mark Wastell
    Burkhard Beins

John Cage "Sixty-Two Mesostics RE Merce Cunningham"
    Everhard Blum voice

Michael Vincent Waller "Moments"
  • SophistiCat
    I am coming from a mostly classical background, and from there expanding into more difficult (for me) modern music. Lately I've been listening to more modern than classical - part of the reason being that tonal, melodic music gives me earworms something fierce, and the emotional response can be unbalancing. But I just can't get into highly "conceptual" music like Cage's.

My exposure to jazz is pretty light. I like jazz circa 1950s-1970s, from Parker to Monk, but that's probably because I don't know much else.
  • ThinkOfOne
    Eddie Prevost "Touch"
    Tom Chant
    John Edwards

Tyshawn Sorey / Marilyn Crispell "The Adornment of Time"

Morton Feldman "Only: Music for Voice and Instruments"
    Joan La Barbara

Sonny Rollins "The Sound of Sonny"
  • ThinkOfOne

As a matter of curiosity, what Cage have you listened to? What do you think of Morton Feldman?

Since you come from a classical background, what recordings of the various combinations of strings or strings plus piano would you highly recommend?

I'd also be interested in hearing what modern classical has particularly impressed you.
  • ThinkOfOne
    Marian McPartland "Live at Maybeck"

Urs Leimbruber "Quartet Noir"
    Marilyn Crispell
    Joelle Leandre
    Fritz Hauser

Nate Wooley "Mutual Aid Music"

Taku Sugimoto "Opposite"
  • Tom Storm
    Mahler 10 Simon Rattle (Cooke version)
    Shostakovich Symphony 5
    Poulenc Organ Concerto
  • ThinkOfOne
    Rob Brown Trio "High Wire"
    William Parker
    Jackson Krall

Michael Bisio "MBEK"
    Eyvind Kang

Gyorgy Legiti "The Legiti Project II"

Michael Vincent Waller "The South Shore"
  • SophistiCat
    As a matter of curiosity, what Cage have you listened to? What do you think of Morton Feldman?ThinkOfOne

I don't remember TBH, but I did try a few works of Cage that came recommended (and I don't mean stunts like 4'33''), but nothing left an impression. Same with Feldman.

Since you come from a classical background, what recordings of the various combinations of strings or strings plus piano would you highly recommend?ThinkOfOne

That's not a fair question, is it? :) There are too many works in the classical repertoire that match the description. Personally, I love Schubert - quartets, quintets, trios.

I'd also be interested in hearing what modern classical has particularly impressed you.ThinkOfOne

Well, let's see... There are the big 20th century names - don't know if you'd consider them modern: Bartok, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Satie, Messiaen, Britten... Stravinsky, the quintessential 20th century composer, spanning the gamut from late romanticism to modernism, neo-classicism, serialism. Hindemith, once ubiquitous, now semi-forgotten, I am not sure why. (There is an old man-walks-into-a-bar joke that I came across once, which you can tell must go back at least half a century, because the punch-line implies that Hindemith could be the greatest 20th century composer. It also involves Orff.)

Of the later generations of composers, I like Takemitsu (pretty much everything), Ginastera (the late period, but his nationalist period is also nice). Some things of Ligeti, Schnittke, Gubaidulina. The only Boulez that I have liked is Sur Incises. Steve Reich, Tom Johnson, Gérard Grisey, Henri Dutilleux, Arvo Pärt. Other odds and ends.

John Luther Adams: Canticles of the Holy Wind: The Hour of the Doves
  • ThinkOfOne
    Evan Parker "Imaginary Values"
    Barry Guy
    Paul Lytton

Tyshawn Sorey "Verisimilitudes"
    Cory Smythe
    Chris Tordini

Art Pepper "Modern Art"

William Duckworth "The Time Curve Preludes"
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Most recently:

Dexter Gordon, Live at the Montmartre Jazzhus (Kenny Drew p, NHOP b, Tootie Heath d)
    Duke Ellington, Black, Brown & Beige (The 1944-1946 Band) (studio recordings, on Bluebird)
    Charlie Parker, Complete Dial Sessions
    Duke Ellington, The Blanton-Webster Band (studio recordings 40-42, also on Bluebird)
    Ornette Coleman, Something Else!!!!, Shape of Jazz to Come, Tomorrow is the Question, Change of the Century, This is Our Music, Ornette!, Free Jazz, Ornette on Tenor (most of the albums from 58-62, all of them because they're in a box set from Enlightenment, cost me maybe $15, worth it even duplicating a couple I already had)

Don't remember before that, was listening to a lot of Monk for a while. Don't know what I'll grab from the milk crates next.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Before that was

Mal Waldron, Hard Talk
    Mal Waldron, Quadrologue at Utopia
    Mal Waldron, Crowd Scene
  • SophistiCat
    Poulenc Organ ConcertoTom Storm

This is great.

Poulenc: Gloria
  • ThinkOfOne

Thanks for this. Ginastera and Grisey are unknown to me. Had come across Gubaidulina and Dutilleux. I'll have to check them out.

Schubert I only have the late quartets, the string quintet and a couple of the late piano sonatas. As with Beethoven, the late works are what catch my ear.

Tom Johnson? Anything besides "An Hour for Piano" that I shouldn't miss?
  • ThinkOfOne
    Marian McPartland "Plays the Music of Mary Lou Williams"

George Lewis "Shadowgraph"

Guy Klucevsek "Stolen Memories"

Art Blakey "Mosaic"

Toru Takemitsu "Chamber Music"
    Robert Aitken
  • ThinkOfOne
    Before that was

Mal Waldron, Hard Talk
    Mal Waldron, Quadrologue at Utopia
    Mal Waldron, Crowd Scene
    Srap Tasmaner

On Waldron’s next easily accessible recording, 1969’s Free at Last (the first ECM record), everything is reduced to the drone and the riff. His touch has gotten more secure and elemental. As far as I can tell, Waldron wouldn’t really develop further until his death in 2002. Nor would he need to.
    While on the ’50s records he threads changes, the mature Waldron doesn’t give a damn about making guide tones connect in satisfying or surprising ways.The right hand is an incantatory shaman sitting atop the chugging, low-register left, insisting that a short stutter of melody will fit anything: any harmony, any place in the beat, any tune. If the changes are noticed, simple lines are repeated in unvarying sequence.

Waldron’s best music also has a darker side that’s not decipherable in sense-based or spiritual terms. H. P. Lovecraft’s word unnamable might be appropriate. The piano playing seethes and burbles without coming to a climax.

Not everybody likes it. While many jazz fans have easily connected with Waldron’s emotional power, some professionals find Mal Waldron’s mature music merely amateurish, probably because it doesn’t play by the rules of sophisticated jazz. It’s certainly not that swinging, in part because Waldron frequently pushes ahead of the beat.
    ---Ethan Iverson

From <https://ethaniverson.com/rhythm-and-blues/on-mal-waldron/>

The dark brooding nature of Waldron's music is imbued with a hypnotic quality that I find quite likeable.
  • ThinkOfOne
    John Carter / Bobby Bradford "Seeking"

Ran Blake Quartet "Short Life of Barbara Monk"

Stephen Scott "Aminah's Dream"

Ben Webster "Music for Loving"

Linda Catlin Smith "Ballad"
    Apartment House
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Cannonball Adderley, Somethin' Else
  • ThinkOfOne
    Larry Ochs "The Fictive Five"
    Nate Wooley