• unenlightened
    Perhaps the whispering guidance we hear and the moral pillars we have are connected, if not two sides of the same coin. The little things in life are important, as you suggest. We search for a light to help us see clearly to take even small steps.0 thru 9

There is something of a movement in psychiatry to regard hearing voices as a natural phenomenon. It is much more common than is generally supposed, because it is hidden by being stigmatised. but people experience something that the scientist will have to characterise as "their thoughts" as coming from elsewhere. But I have argued above that this is a dogma. If there can be one person in a head, why is it impossible for there to be two? Before the scientific dogma became so totalising and dominant as to declare such deviations insane, it was well understood that one would hear voices that might be devilish or angelic, and indeed the voice of conscience was understood by Catholic Christians at least, to be the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong.

Today we distinguish between a judicial conscience that looks back and a legislative conscience that guides future courses of action; there are a few instances of the latter in the Hebrew Bible. There conscience is not the heart but a voice, a voice that accompanies us. This notion of a voice being with us captures the con of conscience, a word that means “knowing with.” In Is 30:21, we read: “And your ears shall hear a word behind you: ‘This is the way; walk in it,’ when you would turn to the right or the left.” This voice directs our lives. Still, heart also occasionally becomes the guiding conscience that needs to be formed, as in 2 Mc 2:3: “And with other similar words he exhorted them that the law should not depart from their hearts."
    https://www.americamagazine.org/issue/examining-conscience (the Jesuit Review.)
    Everyman,
    I will go with thee,
    and be thy guide,
    In thy most need
    to go by thy side.
    — Knowledge

What was a guiding voice, knowledge, seems in modern man to have entirely possessed everyman, and insists on pain of incarceration and worse, that possession is a fantasy, and knowledge is all there is to life.
  • 0 thru 9
    There is something of a movement in psychiatry to regard hearing voices as a natural phenomenon. It is much more common than is generally supposed, because it is hidden by being stigmatised. but people experience something that the scientist will have to characterise as "their thoughts" as coming from elsewhere. But I have argued above that this is a dogma. If there can be one person in a head, why is it impossible for there to be two? Before the scientific dogma became so totalising and dominant as to declare such deviations insane, it was well understood that one would hear voices that might be devilish or angelic, and indeed the voice of conscience was understood by Catholic Christians at least, to be the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong.unenlightened

Wow, didn’t know there was a growing awareness of “hearing voices”. Thanks for sharing that! :pray:

It’s a good thing IMHO specifically for those actually hearing voices (and seeing visions, according to the website). But also in general, an acceptance of how the mind works (or at least might work), and the tremendous variety of how people’s mind can function and deal with their experiences and environment. Reminds me of the animated movie Inside Out a little.

Usually, I really don’t hear voices that I might think are physical or “real”, just the usual running conversations amongst my various personalities lol. It’s a lot more peaceful than it used to be. The personalities are more cohesive even when disagreeing. Acceptance of self, life, others etc probably helps. A part of ourselves that we refuse to accept can become splintered and dangerous. Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde come to life...

What was a guiding voice, knowledge, seems in modern man to have entirely possessed everyman, and insists on pain of incarceration and worse, that possession is a fantasy, and knowledge is all there is to life.unenlightened

Long long ago, Wisdom was retired and put out to pasture as a quaint but out-of-date remnant of ancient times. Knowledge was strong and had boundless energy, and took over most of Wisdom’s duties. Recently, Information has been ascendant, with trillions of dollars made. Information’s illegitimate son Random Internet Stuff and Conspiracies (RISC) seems to be a rising star... :wink:
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.